You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My nose is running

grazywalker

I put far too many red jalapeno's,peppers and scotch bonnet chillies in that mince.I am also breathing wierd as my mouth is rather hot.Not looking forward to tomorrow morning.However it was a very nice meal .

Oh dear.

So it was your nose yesterday ..... I bet you've got an arse like the back of the Batmobile right now.

I once put way too much chilli into a curry and gave myself a nosebleed. That was delicious, yet worrying.

• 3 years later...

Fuck me. Currently got a chilli simmering on the hob. Usually use one of those small packets of birds eye chillies. Thought I'd have a change this time and I've made it with 8 scotch bonnets. Now I'm a man who enjoys a vindaloo but I just had a little taste and it nearly blew my bastard head off. Dinner is going to be a painful experience.

Fuck me. Currently got a chilli simmering on the hob. Usually use one of those small packets of birds eye chillies. Thought I'd have a change this time and I've made it with 8 scotch bonnets. Now I'm a man who enjoys a vindaloo but I just had a little taste and it nearly blew my bastard head off. Dinner is going to be a painful experience.

That is a lot of bonnet action .

This got me thinking about a trip to the old shit-hole, The Indian Cottage , some 20 years ago.

I'm in there with the rest of the band after a pracco, and we're all hardened Phaal officionado's; anyway, we started chatting on to these two couples on the table next to us, when the waiter comes out with their food.

On this platter, there's this THING which is jet black and bubbling away.

My loony mate, Robo, asks the guy who's meal it was, what it was.

"A Phaal, but extra hot." - it fuckin' looked it n'all.

Anyway, this lad explains that he'd been away working on the SE Asian gas rigs, and this black monstrosity was, to him, like a blob of ice cream.

So, being the utter cunt that he is, Robo asks the guy for a taste. The guy obliges and Robo takes a tablespoon of it straight into his gob.

1 second later, he's fucking screaming, curry flying out of his nose, and he legs it to the bog...only to come back out a few minutes later looking totally fucked !

"Ere,", sez Robo to the guys missus, "...is this your husband ?"

"Yes.", she laughs

"Well whatever you do, don't let him lick you out later on !!!"

Fucking beauty.

In conclusion Lurtz : don't be a fucking woman !

I've no idea how many bonnets you'd put in a chilli. Had another taste and it's a fucking beauty, although the hottest I think I've ever made. Proper beef stock, fresh herbs, a blob of balsamic, a drizzle of red wine and a splat of dijon mustard went into this baby.

Gonna have to get me some of those Dorset Nagas sometime. Again, no idea how many I'd put in a chilli or a curry though.

Guest ShoePiss
I've no idea how many bonnets you'd put in a chilli. Had another taste and it's a fucking beauty, although the hottest I think I've ever made. Proper beef stock, fresh herbs, a blob of balsamic, a drizzle of red wine and a splat of dijon mustard went into this baby.

Gonna have to get me some of those Dorset Nagas sometime. Again, no idea how many I'd put in a chilli or a curry though.

Er what, in a chili? I know there are no strict rules (unless you're from Texas) when making a chili but they are interesting additions!

Er what, in a chili? I know there are no strict rules (unless you're from Texas) when making a chili but they are interesting additions!

Try it Shooey. And make sure there's plenty of stock, let it simmer down for a couple of hours or so. It's an explosion of flavour and heat.

Guest ShoePiss
Try it Shooey. And make sure there's plenty of stock, let it simmer down for a couple of hours or so. It's an explosion of flavour and heat.

I don't go beyond jalapenos and my own home made ground chipotle spice. Habs don't really interest me and I think scotch bonnets are about the same as them. Too hot and masks the flavours for me.

I do mine in a crockpot and serve it the next day, cumin and chipotle chili are the only spices I use. I'll often use smoked brisket instead of mince which takes it up a level in sophistication. I think I will try a bit of balsamic, I use a dash of white vinegar for a bit of tang and I can drink balsamic on it's own so why not.

I don't go beyond jalapenos and my own home made ground chipotle spice. Habs don't really interest me and I think scotch bonnets are about the same as them. Too hot and masks the flavours for me.

I do mine in a crockpot and serve it the next day, cumin and chipotle chili are the only spices I use. I'll often use smoked brisket instead of mince which takes it up a level in sophistication. I think I will try a bit of balsamic, I use a dash of white vinegar for a bit of tang and I can drink balsamic on it's own so why not.

If you want the flavour if the chillier but not the heat try pricking them with a fork and drop them in whole.It will let some of the flavour out and not the heat.

Guest ShoePiss
I love a bit of spicy food, me. Anyone got a really good recipe for a chilli? I'm going to make one tomorrow.

I never really stick to the same thing and just make it up as I go along but include these things and you'll be fine :-

minced beef or chuck steak cut into small pieces

onion

garlic

beer, bottle of bud or any other beer will do

beef stock

chili powder

cayenne

cumin

chopped jalapenos - de-seeded and membrane removed

tablespoon brown sugar

2 tins of chopped toms

tablespoon white vinegar

hot sauce

1 tin of red kidney beans

1 tin of white kidney beans

1 tin of baked beans

squirt of tomato sauce

Start building it from the meat, jalapenos, onions and garlic. When they're done add all the fluids and tomatoes, spices etc. Bring to a boil then cook on low for hours, tasting and adding more cayenne, chili powder and cumin to taste along with salt and pepper. Add the beans an hour before serving. The cayenne should give you enough heat without it being ridiculous.

Guest ShoePiss

any kind of pepper sauce like tabasco, I like cholula but you could use anything really. It's hard to fuck up a chili unless you start adding weird things like dijon mustard.