You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I rattled through the 75 episodes of Rebels over the past month, and now I'm up to speed with Ahsoka, and it definitely, definitely helps to have seen Rebels first. Not just because it fills in the holes in understanding the plot, but because it gives greater emotional depth to the relationships between the characters. So glad they didn't recast Thrawn because he was the best thing in the cartoon (when he eventually appears). As with the Book of Boba Fett though, the title character feels like a support act in their own show. But you can't call it Rebels Season Five, even though that's what it is, because it will turn off people who haven't seen the first four. And they've clearly spent too much money on this to want to dissuade viewers.

36 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Episode 7...

Fine if you don't take it seriously. But Lord above some of it was utter shite. Cringe fest at times. Needs more of Thrawn.

Have to ask why you persist in watching it.  Clear you aren't enjoying so why persist?  Or are you one of those that only watches shows to bitch and moan about them?  

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Have to ask why you persist in watching it.  Clear you aren't enjoying so why persist?  Or are you one of those that only watches shows to bitch and moan about them?  

As a fan of Star Wars I like to see what the next offerings are. I'm enjoying it in parts, hence why I said it needs more Thrawn. 

Some of the dialogue and acting is beyond shite, and as far as I recall it's a free world so I can fucking well moan about it if I like. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

As a fan of Star Wars I like to see what the next offerings are. I'm enjoying in in parts, hence why I said it needs more Thrawn. 

Some of the dialogue and acting is beyond shite, and as far as I recall it's a free world so I can fucking well moan about it if I like. 

I'm the same. I was like that with seasons 1 and 2 of Picard. Because it's an arc-based show, once you start you might as well finish. 

9 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

As a fan of Star Wars I like to see what the next offerings are. I'm enjoying in in parts, hence why I said it needs more Thrawn. 

Fair enough, but criticizing Star Wars for bad dialogue and acting seems pretty odd given that's what you associate with SW really.  If you go back to SW (1977) it isn't exactly stellar acting or dialogue.   
Personally if I'm not enjoying a show I walk away and find something more fulfilling to do with my time.  To each their own though.   

Just now, Pete said:

Fair enough, but criticizing Star Wars for bad dialogue and acting seems pretty odd given that's what you associate with SW really.  If you go back to SW (1977) it isn't exactly stellar acting or dialogue.   
Personally if I'm not enjoying a show I walk away and find something more fulfilling to do with my time.  To each their own though.   

This show actually has bad dialogue, badly delivered, by bad actors. It's also the lack of consistency between episodes. Some are very well done and some are just awful. Not sure if you've seen the latest episode yet? The part where Ahsoka Tano drops into the middle of the fight between Sabine and Shin Hati. Cringe, and Dawson is a very good actor. 

But you're correct - Star Wars hasn't exactly been known for good dialogue. You'd think in this day and age that would change but they've clearly not any desire to do so. 

Sad thing is I'll never walk away from Star Wars shows no matter how bad they get. Disney/Lucasfilm have me by the bollocks. 

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This show actually has bad dialogue, badly delivered, by bad actors. It's also the lack of consistency between episodes. Some are very well done and some are just awful. Not sure if you've seen the latest episode yet? The part where Ahsoka Tano drops into the middle of the fight between Sabine and Shin Hati. Cringe, and Dawson is a very good actor. 

But you're correct - Star Wars hasn't exactly been known for good dialogue. You'd think in this day and age that would change but they've clearly not any desire to do so. 

Sad thing is I'll never walk away from Star Wars shows no matter how bad they get. Disney/Lucasfilm have me by the bollocks. 

Hahah.  Yeah. If you can sit through Book of Boba Fett (like a Bantha!) then you'll sit through pretty much anything. 

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Ha! You do know it’s Fantasy, based on a cartoon and not real life fighting, don’t you? The pose where she lands in front of Ezra and Sabine was top notch*

You make fair points in the consistency, thought as a penultimate episode to a season, it was a bit poor compared to 4, 5 & 6 and you could have left out the 10 minutes with Hera and the Council, or put it in last weeks episode. 

*sarcasm. 

• Upvote 1

The writing really is atrocious compared to Andor. Baylan has no interest in killing Ashoka has even less interest in hurting Sabine or Ezra, yet somehow Ahsoka who apparently is desperate to reach Mr & Mrs Personality decides to go out of her way to fight Baylan, promptly gets beat (again) and then decides to go where she should have gone in the first place and compounds the stupidity by saying to Baylan she doesn't need to beat him. Could you imagine some writer handing that into Tony Gilroy.

• Upvote 1

The issue with a lot of the dialogue in this is that it's just filler, smalltalk. 

The series is about eight episodes but there's probably only enough story for two.

So lots of the scenes are like:

"Good shot."

"Thanks".

"Reminds me of the time you shot that droid."

"Can't believe you brought that up."

"I know."

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dicko said:

The writing really is atrocious compared to Andor. Baylan has no interest in killing Ashoka has even less interest in hurting Sabine or Ezra, yet somehow Ahsoka who apparently is desperate to reach Mr & Mrs Personality decides to go out of her way to fight Baylan, promptly gets beat (again) and then decides to go where she should have gone in the first place and compounds the stupidity by saying to Baylan she doesn't need to beat him. Could you imagine some writer handing that into Tony Gilroy.

At what point is Ahsoka made aware of any of that, you're projecting your knowledge of the situation onto a character who is aware of none of it.

In fact, narratively, only Shin knows of Baylans plan. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

At what point is Ahsoka made aware of any of that, you're projecting your knowledge of the situation onto a character who is aware of none of it.

In fact, narratively, only Shin knows of Baylans plan. 

She knew where Sabine was through the force bond she could also see where Sabine was from the ship it showed you the Noti wagons from above. She literally went out of her way to face Baylan and got beat again. As soon as Baylan says she can't defeat him she says "perhaps I don't have to." 

That thought didn't occur to her before she engaged?

To me it made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

15 hours ago, Dicko said:

She knew where Sabine was through the force bond she could also see where Sabine was from the ship it showed you the Noti wagons from above. She literally went out of her way to face Baylan and got beat again. As soon as Baylan says she can't defeat him she says "perhaps I don't have to." 

That thought didn't occur to her before she engaged?

To me it made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

When did Star Wars ever make sense? 

The best Star Wars stuff does make sense. Even in a fantasy world there's still story rules, A leads to B leads to C. 

That aspect of Ahsoka doesn't bother me really, I just find it tedious. The whole series could realistically have been condenses into one or at most, two episodes, it's 90% filler.

Seasons of Picard were like that, they have to be serialised to keep you going back but there's simply not enough story, or what story there is is poor. 

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Nostalgia is doing some heavy lifting their.

This is a bizarre trait of modern sci-fi/pop culture these days. Happens with Star Trek all the time.

"This episode of Star Trek/Star Wars was shit because X/Y/Z"

"Yeah that's just because you don't like women/gays etc - what about 'insert shit episode here' from 1976".

Really odd. 

Saying you thought an episode of telly was poor didn't used to elicit such a visceral reaction from folks. 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is a bizarre trait of modern sci-fi/pop culture these days. Happens with Star Trek all the time.

"This episode of Star Trek/Star Wars was shit because X/Y/Z"

"Yeah that's just because you don't like women/gays etc - what about 'insert shit episode here' from 1976".

Really odd. 

Saying you thought an episode of telly was poor didn't used to elicit such a visceral reaction from folks. 

Nothing to do with your views on anything outside of pop culture or whataboutism, and I'm completely with you that no matter the subject a story has to abide by the rules of the universe it creates.

I'm just not on board with the idea the original trilogy was perfect story telling that made sense given almost everything that has come after it has had to do some sort of retro-fitting or plot hole correction.

Even between A New Hope and Empire they had to change tack because originally nobody knew whether A New Hope was going to be successful enough to warrant any sequels (despite the protestations of Lucas that he always had some grand 12 movies plan in place). 

• Upvote 1