You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drums, drumming and songs with drums

hamstrung

I am a massive fan of John Henry Bonham but in terms of actual drum playing nobody can/could touch Buddy Rich.

[YOUTUBE]9esWG6A6g-k[/YOUTUBE]

Of the drummers around today it would be hard to find one better than The Professor.

[YOUTUBE]wtx8Dmo_W-Q[/YOUTUBE]

A trio of drummers together Phil Collins,Chester Thompson and Luis Conte.

[YOUTUBE]2eiU1lbrZl8[/YOUTUBE]

A favourite of mine is Martin Atkins drum sound in this PIL track and is John Lydon a prophet.

[YOUTUBE]sD19IaJQSJI[/YOUTUBE]

Allah

Allah

Doom sits in gloom in his room

Destroy the infidel

In a mosque

In a ghost

Is a sword

Is a Saracen

Allah

Joan of Arc was a sorcerer

The trilogy the desert sand

Scriptures in the tower of Babble

Allah

Only ending is easy

Burn

Burn

Burn

In the tower

Only ending is easy

Allah

Arise in the east

The trilogy

Allah

Allah

I take heed

Arise in the West

A new crusade

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

43. Phil Collins

16. Bill Bruford

14. Ringo Starr

Posted Image

https-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm4BwCeOb7k

Is Michael Giles on it? I've not had a look yet but he invented a lot of that 'prog drumming' and gets fuck all credit for it.

Robert Fripp called him 'the Hendrix of the drums'.

Not even a mention.

Apparently Meg White rules more than him and now I know Keith Moon is the second best drummer of all time.

I'm not trying to sound like a smug dick or a skill jizzer, but those Rolling Stone, SPIN, NME type lists are just pathetic.

John Bonham and Keith Moon at gold and silver every fucking time in every fucking magazine?

They are good drummers (Bonham is, Moon is vastly overrated IMO) but that is just taking the piss.

giphy.gif

Not even a mention.

Apparently Meg White rules more than him and now I know Keith Moon is the second best drummer of all time.

I'm not trying to sound like a smug dick or a skill jizzer, but those Rolling Stone, SPIN, NME type lists are just pathetic.

John Bonham and Keith Moon at gold and silver every fucking time in every fucking magazine?

They are good drummers (Bonham is, Moon is vastly overrated IMO) but that is just taking the piss.

giphy.gif

I love Ringo & Keith Moon, Bonham is my favourite drummer so I'm not really bothered if they always finish high up on these daft lists, in terms of technical proficiency then you would be looking at a different list but you still hear people talking about those three in the pub, whereas if I was to start up a conversation about Billy Cobham or Bill Bruford, I'd be met with a load of blank faces.

A lot of it is to do with how successful the band is as well, far more people listen to The Who than they do The Tony Williams Lifetime.

• Upvote 2

Explains why Charlie Watts is so high up the list, or even in the list at all.

I'm not sure why Ralph Molina is on the list.  I mean, I love Crazy Horse as much as anyone (apart from Neil, obvs.) but there's not a great deal of finesse or sophistication to Ralph's drumming.  He just twats stuff.  Hard.