You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drums, drumming and songs with drums

hamstrung

The thing with Keith Moon is that is drumming is often overlooked as everyone concentrates on the other aspects of his life but from 65 to 75 (after than he went downhill) but the guy was a phenomenal powerhouse lyrical drummer the likes of which had never been seen before.Technically not the best but neither was Bonham but I know  I'd rather watch and listen to these types of artists.

Plus Moon was the inspiration to Animal in the Muppets and you can't get cooler than that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJH8DmPfVmU

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, Moon was a great player until his final years but no way near the top 10 in reality.

I love Moon, absolutely do but he's not in the same breath as some of the players player greats.

The one thing to say about the early rock drummers (regardless of technical ability...etc) they didn't really have anyone to base their drumming off as the style of music was still very much in its infancy, so credit where credits due also.

I think the thing about Keith Moon is he was out there on his own playing like that, nobody else has ever really played like that & if they tried it, they would just sound like Keith Moon. It's fucking wild but at his best he's brilliant to listen to, Live at Leeds would make my top 10 drumming albums I think. When they tried to get him to tone it down a bit, they didn't really sound like The Who anymore.

Personally I think he was like a force of nature live between '68 & '72, after that he went off the boil & when you read stuff about him, it was really sad what happened to his playing, John Entwistle said Moon would turn up after a break in the 70s & he'd have to learn how to play all over again because he'd spent months away from the drums getting off his tits.

I read one story about him turning up at a drum clinic Philly Joe Jones was having in London, he got up on the drums & booted fuck out of them for 2 minutes, Jones asked him how much money he made playing & when he said however much, Jones replied with something along the lines of, 'Well you don't need any fucking advice from me then'.

Anyway, here's a picture of him and Bonham in 1974.

john_bonham_the_who_keith_moon_led_zeppe
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My mate has asked me to join his band, who are doing quite well & I'm thinking of coming out of retirement.

My hands are fucked with tendinitis but the stuff is fairly laid back so I think I can maybe cope, we're going to have a couple of jams to see how it goes anyway, I know this means fuck all to anyone else on here but it's pretty massive for me, I've been on eBay this morning looking at vintage Ludwig kits like a kid at Christmas.

No doubt I'll get hit by a bus on my way to the first get-together.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

My mate has asked me to join his band, who are doing quite well & I'm thinking of coming out of retirement.

My hands are fucked with tendinitis but the stuff is fairly laid back so I think I can maybe cope, we're going to have a couple of jams to see how it goes anyway, I know this means fuck all to anyone else on here but it's pretty massive for me, I've been on eBay this morning looking at vintage Ludwig kits like a kid at Christmas.

No doubt I'll get hit by a bus on my way to the first get-together.

Did you go ahead with it Mook?

Did you go ahead with it Mook?

They've been gigging in Hamburg & I'm going to go for a play with them this weekend so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for asking though.

They're not The Beatles by the way.

Ah good stuff, all the best for he weekend thenGood excuse to get a vintage Ludwig again ; )

Exactly, I've got someone to look after it for and pass it on to now as well.

I'm looking at Ludwigs and Slingerlands just now, love the sound of an old Slingerland bass drum.

Exactly, I've got someone to look after it for and pass it on to now as well.

I'm looking at Ludwigs and Slingerlands just now, love the sound of an old Slingerland bass drum.

Yeah can't beat an old Slingerland. I get to play this one at our rehearsal studio. Mahogany shells so it's quite punchy, from the late 1970's

Have first dibs on buying it but we'll see!

95facb399ab006724744e3473b42e3a9.jpg4471d4670f6b0eb8c644371babbec13a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Buddy Rich was phenomenal, although he was a total arsehole too.

He made the art of drumming look easy.

One of his most memorable quotes (imo) was 'you don't 'hit' the drums - you play them'.

There's a very good documentary on YouTube about the Buddy Rich tribute recordings aka Burning For Buddy, A bunch of famous drummers (Peart, Gadd, Smith, Weckl, Phillips, Cobham, Hakim, Morello and more - the who's who of modern drummers). Well worth a watch if you're a drummer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brKXwnOwVzQ

• Upvote 1

Buddy Rich was phenomenal, although he was a total arsehole too.

He made the art of drumming look easy.

One of his most memorable quotes (imo) was 'you don't 'hit' the drums - you play them'.

There's a very good documentary on YouTube about the Buddy Rich tribute recordings aka Burning For Buddy, A bunch of famous drummers (Peart, Gadd, Smith, Weckl, Phillips, Cobham, Hakim, Morello and more - the who's who of modern drummers). Well worth a watch if you're a drummer.

Oh yeah complete arse but the greatest there was and possibly will ever be.

Tony Williams though, a different kind of animal but for me is a close second.

Nice one, will have to check that out, only seen the concert footage in the past.