You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fair point. I grew up watching videos of 1960's and 1970's football. I couldn't get enough of them. It's not as if there isn't loads of footage of Moore like, say, Billy Liddell. My Dad, who is 68 and has been attending football matches since the early 60's, rates Moore as the best British centre half he has seen. My Dad taught me everything I know about footy, so that's good enough for me.

Fair point. I grew up watching videos of 1960's and 1970's football. I couldn't get enough of them. It's not as if there isn't loads of footage of Moore like, say, Billy Liddell. My Dad, who is 68 and has been attending football matches since the early 60's, rates Moore as the best British centre half he has seen. My Dad taught me everything I know about footy, so that's good enough for me.

Yer Da.

• Upvote 1

Moore was a good player. But Hansen, in my opinion, was better. Hansen was quicker and had great positional sense. Moore could read a game but lacked a bit of pace. Hansen could drive forward and join an attack while Moore liked to hit a longer ball out of defence. Of course Moore did play with inferior players compared to Jocky; Moore had Ken Brown and Tommy Taylor as partners while Hansen had Phil Thompson, then Mark Lawrenson or Gary Gillepsie. Ok, Glenn Hysen was no star but he was still better than Brown or Taylor. Hansen was also a better header of the ball.

I'm not saying that Moore wasn't an exceptional player, he was. Yet I did see him getting destroyed a couple of times; at Anfield he looked particularly uneasy when confronted by players such as Peter Thompson, St John or Keegan and he wasn't above just giving them a kick.when he got fed up trying to control them. 

Hansen and Moore were both what would probably be termed 'elegant' players but neither were above being crude when the situation called for it. For me, though, Hansen was a marginally better player.

Now Torben Piechnik........he was a player....I think.

• Upvote 3

Are you saying Hansen was a better overall centre half than Moore or just a better passer?

Hansen was brilliant, and one of my all-time favourite Liverpool players, but he wasn't a better centre half than Moore.

Hansen is the closest to Beckenbaur this country has produced that's how highly I rate him, I'm not old enough to have seen Moore play and I've no doubt he was a fantastic player. But like most English players they get massively overrated by the media we have seen it time and time again over the years from Robson to Hoddle to Beckham.

I remember watching the whole of the England Brazil match from 1970 and Moore was great but what struck me was how shite Bobby Charlton's passing was, again another player built up the English media.just for an example of how great Jocky was just you tube that clip of Hansens pass to Rush in the 5-0 derby match, I have never seen another centre half make a run or pass like that ever.

He also had one of the worst titles for an autobiography "Tall dark and Hansen " and still remained cool as fuck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyAkpIwHhg

No coincidence we haven't won the league since Jocky called it a day.

Always makes me laugh when people compare Stones to Bobby Moore when the best ball playing centre half this country has ever produced and is always overlooked was Hansen.

No coincidence we haven't won the league since Jocky called it a day.

Always makes me laugh when people compare Stones to Bobby Moore when the best ball playing centre half this country has ever produced and is always overlooked was Hansen.

Surely no-one does that??? ok martinez but surely no other fucker could be so deluded

Hansen is the closest to Beckenbaur this country has produced that's how highly I rate him, I'm not old enough to have seen Moore play and I've no doubt he was a fantastic player. But like most English players they get massively overrated by the media we have seen it time and time again over the years from Robson to Hoddle to Beckham.

I remember watching the whole of the England Brazil match from 1970 and Moore was great but what struck me was how shite Bobby Charlton's passing was, again another player built up the English media.just for an example of how great Jocky was just you tube that clip of Hansens pass to Rush in the 5-0 derby match, I have never seen another centre half make a run or pass like that ever.

He also had one of the worst titles for an autobiography "Tall dark and Hansen " and still remained cool as fuck.

No offence here but if you are not old enough to see Moore play then how did you see Beckenbauer? I Saw Hansen, watched all of his career as a season ticket holder on the Kop and going to away games. I thought he was the best Center back i have ever seen. Only ever saw Moore and Beckenbauer on old tv clips. 

My old dad who is 85 now reckons Moore was absolute class.

I felt Moore was a better captain than player in all honesty. Lifted the world Cup in 66 and  all the hype followed. I would take Hansen before him any day in the week. Hansen was not just a great defender but also a great box to box player and scored some screamers. Don't recall Bobby having any of that in his armour.

• Upvote 2

I felt Moore was a better captain than player in all honesty. Lifted the world Cup in 66 and all the hype followed. I would take Hansen before him any day in the week. Hansen was not just a great defender but also a great box to box player and scored some screamers. Don't recall Bobby having any of that in his armour.

I felt Moore was a better captain than player in all honesty. Lifted the world Cup in 66 and all the hype followed. I would take Hansen before him any day in the week. Hansen was not just a great defender but also a great box to box player and scored some screamers. Don't recall Bobby having any of that in his armour.

Spoke to my Dad this morning. It's not often that we talk footy nowadays, but it's still a pleasure. He said Bobby More was the sort of captain who led by example, like Steven Gerrard as opposed to being a leader of men like, say, Graeme Souness. He said that Moore did get from box to box and scored the odd belter.

I support vintage football

Spoke to my Dad this morning. It's not often that we talk footy nowadays, but it's still a pleasure. He said Bobby More was the sort of captain who led by example like Steven Gerrard as opposed to being a leader of men like, say, Graeme Souness. He said that Moore did get from box to box and scored the odd belter.

Spoke to my Dad this morning. It's not often that we talk footy nowadays, but it's still a pleasure. He said Bobby More was the sort of captain who led by example like Steven Gerrard as opposed to being a leader of men like, say, Graeme Souness. He said that Moore did get from box to box and scored the odd belter.

Good post

• Upvote 7

I actually witnessed a Bobby Moore goal. A pre-World Cup friendly against Poland at Goodison in 1966 which ended 1-1. It was a toe poke from six inches when the ball fell loose after a scramble from a corner. It was a cunt of a game which I watched from the lower Bullens Road stand, that deplorable reconstruction of the gun deck of HMS Victory. I was fifteen at the time but came out of Goodison mamy years older.

I really don't recall Moore being a box to box player, well, not in the Terry McDermott sense, as he just didn't have the legs for the job. Defensively, he was very sound and he could hit a long pass. That isn't to diminish him in any sense; World Cup winning captains do tend to be pretty damn good.

I just give thanks that he didn't play for the Mill Town team at the time he was picking up the Jules Rimet trophy. Imagine what a cum fest our journalists would still be having.

Kevin Keegan:

I’m playing in my first season for Liverpool FC against West Ham at Anfied.

Shank’s comes over to me and says:-

A Son I’ve just seen that Bobby Moore getting off the West Ham bus. What a wreck, He’s limping and He’s got bags under his eyes. He must have been in one of those London clubs all night Son!

So instead of playing England’s Captain & World Cup winner, I’m playing an aging playboy with a limp. Anyway we win 3-1 and I manage to score although Bobby play’s to his usual high standard.

After the match Shank’s comes and sits next to me in the dressing room and says

A Son that Bobby Moore is some player isn’t He. Son you’ll never play against a better footballer than him!

• Upvote 3

I only saw Moore on TV, the first memory 1966 World Cup.  Then odd matches, and the1970 World Cup.  Then odd matches.  All on TV.

Hansen is my contemporary, so easier to comment.  The best CB that I have seen play for us.  

I'm sitting firmly on the fence here.   For the needs of our team now, I'd probably take Hansen just for the ability he had.  Also, he was a scratch golfer...  And Moore for the leadership.  Beats me, really, both greats.

• Upvote 2