You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Allow me to get off topic for just a second, but fuck Terry Eagleton:

"s it that hard to explain what Eagleton's up to? The prolificness, the self-plagiarism, the snappy, highly consumable prose and, of course, the sales figures: Eagleton wishes for capitalism's demise, but as long as it's here, he plans to do as well as he can out of it. Someone who owns three homes shouldn't be preaching self-sacrifice, and someone whose careerism at Oxbridge was legendary shouldn't be telling interviewers of his longstanding regret at having turned down a job at the Open University."

Hermes asks: "Is that real?"

Oh Stronty, Stronty, Stronty! This isn't one of your best threads, is it? Not exactly your 'finest hour'.

Do you think it "appeared all over the place" the way the shopkeeper did in Mr Benn?

Do I need to find your post where you say you have " a scientific mind " or shall we just leave it at that??

Matey, I'm laughing at you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As if two separate placards being shopped together remotely changes anything about them.

Fuck yourself you little tool and stop trying to claw back some of that credibility you keep losing to me. You're one pathetic individual.

As if two separate placards being shopped together remotely changes anything about them.

Fuck yourself you little tool and stop trying to claw back some of that credibility you keep losing to me. You're one pathetic individual.

SD - you said categorically that the placard was right and not paint shopped. You have no credibility left on that count, political suicide that is. You should know that by now. You lied and bent the truth to make a point.

Ah OK so it was a threat after all. Unless Britain turns into a sharia state, you and your 'local muslim lads' can fuck off with being offended by and feeling justified in kicking off at secularists taking the piss out of people believing in some imaginary Sky Wizard (loving that SD!).

I am not politically correct and I am not at any time suggesting that people not be allowed to share their views. Fucks sake, we Muslim say our piece daily so why can't the rest? SD's comments were not just aimed at Muslim's but at anyone who believes in a God. My point was not that, my point was the way he went about saying as if he was some sort of gangster when we all know he is a liberal pussy.

I totally agree with your comments about being able to take the piss out of eachother absolutely and I can laugh all day at the gags, but I will not take an agenda where someone is trying to deliberately be hurtful.

Blimey. This thread reads like something off the *F! Tit for tat one-upmanship over trivial points.

In any event, you're all wrong on the food subject. I do like indian (english style) food, and chinese (english style food), and often can be heard to say "yeah, actually, I do quite fancy a curry/chow mein".

That said, they pale into insignificance when I think of the number of times I've said I could fucking murder a bacon butty/fry-up. I've never felt that way about the indian/chinese offerings, ergo, England wins.

Sky wizard save our gracious queen, long live our noble queen, allah save our queen, nah nah nah nah...

On the subject of Mubarak, I thought this was going to be another political thread about some johnny foreigner president. Isn't there someone somewhere called President Ehud Mubarak, or something? I think he's been lined up for the next series of I'm a celebrity, get me out of here, along with Pervy Musharraf, Nuri Al-Maliki, and Stan Boardman.

http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/curryhistory.html

THE ORIGINS OF 'CURRY'

(Is it really English?)

Most people in the world today know what a curry is - or at least think they do. In Britain the term ‘curry’ has come to mean almost any Indian dish, whilst most people from the sub-continent would say it is not a word they use, but if they did it would mean a meat, vegetable or fish dish with spicy sauce and rice or bread.

The earliest known recipe for meat in spicy sauce with bread appeared on tablets found near Babylon in Mesopotamia, written in cuniform text as discovered by the Sumerians, and dated around 1700 B.C., probably as an offering to the god Marduk.

The origin of the word itself is the stuff of legends, but most pundits have settled on the origins being the Tamil word ‘kari’ meaning spiced sauce. In his excellent Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson quotes this as a fact and supports it with reference to the accounts from a Dutch traveller in 1598 referring to a dish called ‘Carriel’. He also refers to a Portuguese cookery book from the seventeenth century called Atre do Cozinha, with chilli-based curry powder called ‘caril’.

In her ‘50 Great Curries of India’, Camellia Panjabi says the word today simply means ‘gravy’. She also goes for the Tamil word ‘kaari or kaaree’ as the origin, but with some reservations, noting that in the north, where the English first landed in 1608 then 1612, a gravy dish is called ‘khadi’.

Pat Chapman of Curry Club fame offers several possibilities:- ‘karahi or karai(Hindi)’ from the wok-shaped cooking dish, ‘kari’ from the Tamil or ‘Turkuri’ a seasonal sauce or stew.

The one thing all the experts seem to agree on is that the word originates from India and was adapted and adopted by the British Raj.

On closer inspection, however, there is just as much evidence to suggest the word was English all along.

In the time of Richard I there was a revolution in English cooking . In the better-off kitchens, cooks were regularly using ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, galingale, cubebs, coriander, cumin, cardamom and aniseed, resulting in highly spiced cooking very similar to India. They also had a ‘powder fort’, ‘powder douce’ and ‘powder blanch’.

Then, in Richard II’s reign (1377-1399) the first real English cookery book was written. Richard employed 200 cooks and they, plus others including philosophers, produced a work with 196 recipes in 1390 called ‘The Forme of Cury’. ‘Cury’ was the Old English word for cooking derived from the French ‘cuire’ - to cook, boil, grill - hence cuisine.

In the preface it says this “forme of cury was compiled of the chef maistes cokes of kyng Richard the Secunde kyng of nglond aftir the conquest; the which was accounted the best and ryallest vyand of alle csten ynges: and it was compiled by assent and avysement of maisters and phisik and of philosophie that dwellid in his court. First it techith a man to make commune pottages and commune meetis for howshold, as they shold be made, craftly and holsomly, Aftirward it techith for to make curious potages and meetes and sotiltees for alle maner of states, bothe hye and lowe. And the techyng of the forme of making of potages and of meetes, bothe flesh and of fissh, buth y sette here by noumbre and by ordre”.

In his book ‘Manners and Meals in Olden Times’ (1868) F.J.Furnell noted a passage from a fifteenth century treatise against nouvelle cuisine :

‘Cooks with peire newe conceytes,

choppynge, stampynge and gryndynge

Many new curies alle day pey ar contryvynge

and fyndynge

pat provotethe pe peple to perelles of passage prouz peyne soore pyndynge

and prouz nice excesse of such receytes of pe life to make a endynge.’

So when the English merchants landed at Surat in 1608 and 1612, then Calcutta 1633, Madras 1640 and Bombay 1668, the word ‘cury’ had been part of the English language for well over two hundred years. In fact, it was noted that the meal from Emperor Jahangir’s kitchens of dumpukht fowl stewed in butter with spices, almond and raisins served to those merchants in 1612, was very similar to a recipe for English Chicken Pie in a popular cookery book of the time, ‘The English Hus-wife’ by Gevase Markham. Indeed many spices had been in Europe for hundreds of years by then, after the conquests of the Romans in 40AD and the taking of Al Andulus by the Moors in 711 AD, bringing to Europe the culinary treasures of the spice routes.

Many supporters of the Tamil word kari as the basis for curry, use the definition from the excellent Hobson-Jobson Anglo English Dictionary, first published in 1886. The book quotes a passage from the Mahavanso (c A.D. 477) which says “he partook of rice dressed in butter with its full accompaniment of curries.” The important thing, however, is the note that this is Turnour’s translation of the original Pali which used the word “supa” not the word curry. Indeed Hobson -Jobson even accepts that there is a possibility that “the kind of curry used by Europeans and Mohommedans is not of purely Indian origin, but has come down from the spiced cookery of medieval Europe and Western Asia.”

Whatever the truth, ‘curry’ was rapidly adopted in Britain. In 1747 Hannah Glasse produced the first known recipe for modern ‘currey’ in Glasse’s Art of Cookery and by 1773 at least one London Coffee House had curry on the menu. In 1791 Stephana Malcom, the grandaughter of the Laird of Craig included a curry recipe she called Chicken Topperfield plus Currypowder, Chutnies and Mulligatawny soup as recorded in ‘In The Lairds Kitchen, Three Hundred Years of Food in Scotland’.

Around the same time the word "consumer" began to appear which, conversely, was not originally an English word as one might think, but derived from 'Khansaman', the title of the house steward - the chief table servant and purchaser as well as provider of all food in Anglo-Indian households.

In 1780 the first commercial curry powder appeared and in 1846 its fame was assured when William Makepeace Thackeray wrote a ‘Poem to Curry’ in his ‘ Kitchen Melodies’.

Curry

Three pounds of veal my darling girl prepares,

And chops it nicely into little squares;

Five onions next prures the little minx

(The biggest are the best, her Samiwel thinks),

And Epping butter nearly half a pound,

And stews them in a pan until they’re brown’d.

What’s next my dexterous little girl will do?

She pops the meat into the savoury stew,

With curry-powder table-spoonfuls three,

And milk a pint (the richest that may be),

And, when the dish has stewed for half an hour,

A lemon’s ready juice she’ll o’er it pour.

Then, bless her! Then she gives the luscious pot

A very gentle boil - and serves quite hot.

PS - Beef, mutton, rabbit, if you wish,

Lobsters, or prawns, or any kind fish,

Are fit to make a CURRY. ‘Tis, when done,

A dish for Emperors to feed upon.

In the same year Charles Elme Francatelli, chief cook and maitre d’hotel to Queen Victoria included a recipe for ‘Indian Curry Sauce’ in his ‘The Modern Cook’, based on Cook’s or Bruce’s meat curry paste.

In 1861 it was Mrs Beeton’s turn in her ‘Book of Household Management’ where she includes no less than fourteen curry recipes, including Dr Kitchener’s Recipe for India Curry Powder. Even Charles Ranhofer, chef at Delmonico’s (1862-98) wrote in The Epicurean “Curry - the best comes from India. An imitation is made of one ounce of coriander seeds, two ounces of cayenne, a quarter ounce of cardamom seeds, one ounce salt, two ounces turmeric, one ounce ginger, half an ounce of mace and a third of an ounce of saffron”.

The development of the curry industry in Britain has been peculiarly Anglo-Asian such that many people brandish ‘authenticity’ as if it were the Holy Grail. According to Camellia Panjabi “Ninety nine per cent of Indians do not have a tandoor and so neither Tandoori Chicken nor Naan are part of India’s middle class cuisine. This is even so in the Punjab, although some villages have communal tandoors where rotis can be baked. Ninety five per cent of Indians don’t know what a vindaloo, jhal farezi or, for that matter, a Madras curry is”.

Since the opening of The Bombay Brasserie in London in 1982 there has been a growing group of highly trained chefs offering the classic Indian dishes but the backbone of the British industry has consisted largely of self taught chefs who have been clever enough to adapt to market requirements resulting in the Balti craze and the, now world famous, Chicken Tikka Masala amongst others.

‘Curry’ has not looked back since and was recently named the British National dish after a major opinion poll by Gallup. It is interesting to note that the Portuguese, Dutch and even the French were in India long before or concurrently with the English and yet it was Britain that readily adopted curry, not the others.

Perhaps it was because England had had a tradition of ‘cury’ all along!

I believe the English invented curry when trying to eat gone off meat - to get rid of the bad taste they used spices and hence curry was borne during their 'pursuits' in India.

It's nice that curry houses up and down the country continue this tradition.

Are Naan breads and onion bhajis part of this tradition?:drool: if so I want in.

Yes, I believe you can order side extras in addition to spicey rotten dog meat.

EH? Hang on, just let me read your post again...

EH?

Fuck me Stronty. With an approach like that you'd make an excellent dodgy 'cut-and-shunt' car dealer.

How the fuck can taking two separate things and shopping (I think you meant 'chopping') them together not change them?

If you really think you've got a "scientific mind" then Mr Spock's got nothing to worry about, has he??

:lol: :lol:

Erm, without wanting to come across like an SD cheerleader on this thread, he's got a point - photoshop or not, the general gist and ridiculous irony of both images is pretty damn close...

Rash, I've got maximum respect for all cultures, but no time for those who are persistently offended by ridiculing of their religion. I'm too knackered to double check how SD offended you, but if it was over your religion, or any other... well. Arsed? Nah... not really.

Anyway. Who here could give the V's to the sky, as in to God as most would see it? Weird amount of otherwise totally unreligious chaps can't bring themselves to do it. Way I see it, I'm just insulting Alpha Centauri, but they're appalled. Softarses.

Erm, without wanting to come across like an SD cheerleader on this thread, he's got a point - photoshop or not, the general gist and ridiculous irony of both images is pretty damn close...

Rash, I've got maximum respect for all cultures, but no time for those who are persistently offended by ridiculing of their religion. I'm too knackered to double check how SD offended you, but if it was over your religion, or any other... well. Arsed? Nah... not really.

Anyway. Who here could give the V's to the sky, as in to God as most would see it? Weird amount of otherwise totally unreligious chaps can't bring themselves to do it. Way I see it, I'm just insulting Alpha Centauri, but they're appalled. Softarses.

I never get offended easily, just like I really give a fuck when some of my mates take the piss... I do though have a problem when the guy taking piss is meaning it in a hurtful or sly sort of way. I can't be tolerating that shit.

As with racism or anything, it is not what they say or how they say it, it's what's in their heart and what their intentions are in saying it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Muhammad#Aisha

Always happy to educate.

You really are the perennial 17 year old brat, with barely formed opinions based on nothing resembling experience, with absolutely no doubt in your mind that despite massive evidence to the contrary, you are always right. I'm amazed anyone gives you the time of day on here. I hope you have apologised to Rash for hijacking his thread - though I truly doubt it. Constant referencing of Wikipedia does you no favours either sonny. The most illiberal little liberal on here strikes again.

It's become clear to me that thechap is probably God. Well, they say God is omnipresent, and indeed, every thread I am in, thechap is right there after me. So he's either God or a yappy little terrier.

I'm neither. I've just got a good nose for shit. And with the hypocrisy you constantly come out with, with how unreasonably you criticise others, with how you pontificate to others when you clearly have no life experience, I am going to quite happily point out where you are talking shit or making an arse of yourself.

What you can't see or refuse to accept is that you make it very easy.

And how does your "scientific mind" explain how chopping those two images into one doesn't change them? Evidence please. Or have you decided to ignore your embarrassing faux pas?

EVERY thread I am in, thechap is right there after me..

And to continue in your style...

"every thread"? Evidence please. Show how I am after you in 'every' thread. You can presumably quote me quoting you in 'every thread' you post in.

I'm getting bored being you now because I feel like I'm being an objectional twat, but you get the picture.

A little humility and moderation from you before you post would be very welcome all round, I feel.

you are always right

Couldn't agree more.

But he isn't really a Liberal though is he? He behaviour on here is anything but, he totally goes against the grain of what Liberalism is.

You haven't got the first idea about what liberalism is.

On second thoughts, I'd like to hear what you think liberalism is.