You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano

ScouseAndy

My argument is not who is the best midfielder now, as I've clearly stated Momo would easily lose, it's not even who would be the better in 4 years time (although I'd wager it would be a hell of a lot closer than at present!) but that would there be a big enough difference ie 20m quids worth of difference between them when we could use that money else where in the side.

With regards to Momo and his passing, I feel he's done a diservice with his passing and touch. Players need continuity to improve touch and technique on the pitch and he's suffered from injury and rotation more than anyone in central midfield. Just have a look at his performance in the Charity Shield when Ballack bottled it and Momo was doing step overs and Cruyff turns if you think he is incapable of developing.

That's a valid point mate.

However it only strengthen's my argument that we should go for Mascherano over Momo. Because if, as you say, momo need's lot's of game's and continuity in the team in order to develop, he's not going to get that as long as Rafa's in charge is he?

Surely better to go for the player who is already looking the part imo.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but i'm working on the presumption we would get 10 million for sissoko (as offered by juventus this summer), if we did decide to sell him and replace him permanently with Mascherano.

There was no guarantee of that this summer (paper speculation aside) let next summer.

For the difference in price I can see rafa keeping Momo and using that money else where.

[/b]

That's a valid point mate.

However it only strengthen's my argument that we should go for Mascherano over Momo. Because if, as you say, momo need's lot's of game's and continuity in the team in order to develop, he's not going to get that as long as Rafa's in charge is he?

Surely better to go for the player who is already looking the part imo.

My argument isn't that we should keep Momo and get shot of Mascherano, my point is that its such a fine line to call as to which way would benefit the club the most (much like gerrard in the middle or on the right).

Keep Momo and have 10 to 20m to invest elsewhere in the side or keep Mascherano who's far more advanced in his development but lose the greatest athlete at the club who in my opinion will become the greatest 'box to box' midfielder since Vierra and probably better and a large chunk of readies?

I'm glad the choice is not mine because as I say its a very tough choice, thats why Montse has such a nice watch collection I guess.

1 - There was no guarantee of that this summer (paper speculation aside) let next summer.

2 - For the difference in price I can see rafa keeping Momo and using that money else where.

1 - It was the echo though, which mean's there was probably some weight behind it.

But I get your point, there's no guarantee we would get that kind of money for him, which is why I said 'working on the presumption'.

2 - I agree with you mate, I think that's what he'll do aswell. I just think it would be the wrong decision.

But on the other hand I have a lot of faith in Benitez, as he know's a hell of a lot more about football than me.

1 - It was the echo though, which mean's there was probably some weight behind it.

But I get your point, there's no guarantee we would get that kind of money for him, which is why I said 'working on the presumption'.

2 - I agree with you mate, I think that's what he'll do aswell. I just think it would be the wrong decision.

But on the other hand I have a lot of faith in Benitez, as he know's a hell of a lot more about football than me.

Like I've said it's such a tough call, but thats why Montse's got her watches!

As much as i'd hate to see it happen I think that is a strong possibiltiy.

I've thought that ever since Momo signed a new contract. Personaly i'd have taken the 10 million Juventus were apparently offering for Sissoko and put it toward's buying Mascherano permanently.

I agree with you there. As much as I like Sissoko, his passing hasnt improved at all since he's been here. I would have sold him if it meant we sign Mascherano permanently.

I think Mascherano and Alonso will be the defensive players (staying deep either dictating play or blocking the opposition) and Gerrard and Momo will be more attacking players....

Agree with that.

As a defensive midfielder you cannot loose the ball and that has been Momos problem too often. Momo has to play with a safe partner like Mascerano or Alonso, but when he does there is no better "stealer" of the ball I think.

Agree with that.

As a defensive midfielder you cannot loose the ball and that has been Momos problem too often. Momo has to play with a safe partner like Mascerano or Alonso, but when he does there is no better "stealer" of the ball I think.

I love Momo he is something different but I don't see where he fits in anymore, he isn't a holding player and he isn't an attacking player - he is just a destroyer who is probably needed in only 5 games a season.

Given more experience Momo will learn about keeping the ball, if he doesn't set Didi on him.

The worrying thing is, it shouldnt be something you need to learn...

Win the ball (superbly in his case), then play a simple pass, nothing fancy, just a simple pass. If he did that he would be amazing.

I love Momo he is something different but I don't see where he fits in anymore, he isn't a holding player and he isn't an attacking player - he is just a destroyer who is probably needed in only 5 games a season.

I tend to agree. Still there will be injuries, suspensions and cup games so he could get a decent number of games. Lets enjoy the luxury of having such a special weapon in the squad. (If there are any golf players out there - he is like a lob wedge, isnt he?)

The worrying thing is, it shouldnt be something you need to learn...

Win the ball (superbly in his case), then play a simple pass, nothing fancy, just a simple pass. If he did that he would be amazing.

I think it is something you can learn. He has natural abilities that you can't teach, i.e. unprecedented stamina, but lacks some more techincal skills. Short passes can be learnt and I bet Rafa knows that and is working on it.

There must be a reason Rafa loves the dude so much.

I think it is something you can learn. He has natural abilities that you can't teach, i.e. unprecedented stamina, but lacks some more techincal skills. Shirt passes can be learnt and I bet Rafa knows that and is working on it.

I don't think anyone is afraid of Momo not being able to hand over the shirt after the match.

Damn you and your editing....

I think it is something you can learn. He has natural abilities that you can't teach, i.e. unprecedented stamina, but lacks some more techincal skills. Short passes can be learnt and I bet Rafa knows that and is working on it.

Rafa loves him so much because he has potential to be excellent. Its just that he hasnt (in my opinion) improved at all since we signed him.

I hope he shows muturity in his performances this season, because he is seriously playing for his future. He is in the unlucky position of being 1 of 5 very capable central midfielders... and 5 is too many.

Folk have short memories and before his 2 SERIOUS injuries Momo was different class. His has not yet earned the right, as others have, to be an automatic choice. This would be the same at Juve or where ever. Signing a new contract indicates to me he knows he is at a top club and now needs to get his 'young' head down and work to take his game to the next level.

I have every confidence he will achieve a lot at Liverpool.

Folk have short memories and before his 2 SERIOUS injuries Momo was different class. His has not yet earned the right, as others have, to be an automatic choice. This would be the same at Juve or where ever. Signing a new contract indicates to me he knows he is at a top club and now needs to get his 'young' head down and work to take his game to the next level.

I have every confidence he will achieve a lot at Liverpool.

He has the potential to achieve a hell of a lot. Thats why people moan when he has a stinker. It is now time for him to reach that new level, there is nothing stopping him.

When he plays his best I would have him in our side more often than not.

I agree with you there. As much as I like Sissoko, his passing hasnt improved at all since he's been here. I would have sold him if it meant we sign Mascherano permanently.

Yes it has. Not to the consistent level required just yet but it definately has.

Watch the charity shield game again and see him doing nutmegs, step overs and cruyff turns.

Originally posted by lifetime fan

Yes it has. Not to the consistent level required just yet but it definately has.

Watch the charity shield game again and see him doing nutmegs, step overs and cruyff turns.

Totally agree, and you could see it in the Pompey pre-season game in HK as well....

My biggest worry in this discussion is the fact that demento is probably just waiting to swoop for Mascherano, being buddy with that Kia guy and all.....

The Mancs were good last year, and I hate to admit thay played some great attacking football. They have found a decent balancing midfielder in Carrick, but if they got Mascherano..... I don't even want to think about it:(

• 5 months later...