You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ingrowing hair..

Stouffer

They used to call it Jeep Syndome after WW2 Jeep drivers suffered from it due to vibration and position of sitting. I worked for a car hire company a few months before it appeared so its a pretty strong link. Its mostly found in men under 30 but there are many accounts of women. Also its more common in larger bodies but i was pretty skinny when i got mine so maybe that fact is bollocks.

There are also people that have got it without driving so its not just that.

Its a kind of pocket in your coxyx (sp) area that can get infected. It forms as a cyst and then bursts. Its needs to be cut out and then dependending on the size can be closed or layed open to heal from the bottom of the hole. Obviously due to the position of the condition its very difficult to heal and can immobilise you for months.

The worst feeling throughout it all is the first shit. You dont want to bend and you feel like your back is falling out.

Also my first bath, after my 4th op when it was laid open the size of a fist (depth as well), was deep red. Pretty scary stuff.

I've heard of loads of people with this, especially through my nurse who helped put my life (as it is now). One thing i've learnt is treat surgeons like builders plumbers etc. Get a second quote - they're only opinions after all.

Christ. I have seen wounds like that when i was working as a care assistant at a nursing home. It can get pretty nasty. Not sure if it was from the same thing or just pressure sores, but it was well nasty. We had one old woman come in and when they found her in her home it had maggots in it. It stank. Great job that was. 1.92 an hour in 1995. Wahey!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ. I have seen wounds like that when i was working as a care assistant at a nursing home. It can get pretty nasty. Not sure if it was from the same thing or just pressure sores, but it was well nasty. We had one old woman come in and when they found her in her home it had maggots in it. It stank. Great job that was. 1.92 an hour in 1995. Wahey!

Mmmm lovely. I was contemplating maggots as a way of cleaning the open wound. Luckily it didnt come to that.

Guest Jay W
I had that one, layed open for my fourth op, off work for 7 months in 2004. My nurses said it was the biggest one they'd ever seen (they always say that about me).

My first one was closed, my 2nd and third were closed and butchered (i should sue for shit surgery which fucked me for 7 years), my 4th was left open and my 5th was plastic surgery genius (so far) which ended up look pretty much like the image above. I now have half an arse but at least i can nearly get on with everything. I've given up on playing for Liverpool now . . . just.

Most people get rid first op as you say so dont worry about it.

Oh and you werent driving a lot were you, pre-condition?

On my feet mostly mate, infact, nearly always on my feet due to the nature of the job. The quack asked me the same question, you mentioned the drivers while he was saying alot of farmers get it through the same means, excessive sitting. They also reckon your born with it and it's more common in dark haired people, although I have light-ish hair so that wasn't the case with me. Strange really, me dad's a technician for Virgin and he's always driving, proper hairy bastid aswell and yet he hadn't a clue what it was and never seen it in his life.

I have an extended arse crack now, which you just have to laugh about :smile: Wasn't fuckin laughin during the healing process though, especially after my first bath, the burning and stinging off that one. Then one day the wound just started bleeding and wouldn't stop for ages which made me anemic and I had to go on a course of Iron tablets, absolute nightmare. The district nurses reckon the surgeon butchered me a little bit but it's in the past now, cannot be arsed even thinking about that time of my life one single bit. Can't wait till I go back to work and the lads see me in the shower, it'll be round the whole battalion in a second. I foresee a new nickname....

What I also didn't know is that women get it too..

On my feet mostly mate, infact, nearly always on my feet due to the nature of the job. The quack asked me the same question, you mentioned the drivers while he was saying alot of farmers get it through the same means, excessive sitting. They also reckon your born with it and it's more common in dark haired people, although I have light-ish hair so that wasn't the case with me. Strange really, me dad's a technician for Virgin and he's always driving, proper hairy bastid aswell and yet he hadn't a clue what it was and never seen it in his life.

I have an extended arse crack now, which you just have to laugh about :smile: Wasn't fuckin laughin during the healing process though, especially after my first bath, the burning and stinging off that one. Then one day the wound just started bleeding and wouldn't stop for ages which made me anemic and I had to go on a course of Iron tablets, absolute nightmare. The district nurses reckon the surgeon butchered me a little bit but it's in the past now, cannot be arsed even thinking about that time of my life one single bit. Can't wait till I go back to work and the lads see me in the shower, it'll be round the whole battalion in a second. I foresee a new nickname....

What I also didn't know is that women get it too..

Fuckin butcherers. Hope its all good and well. If anyone saw my arse theyd run a mile (although i could say that before the op too).

Pilonidal.org is a usa forum just for ps sufferers. Theres loads of 'us' including loads of women.

I know a lad who had to have this done, he was off work a good while. He saw the funny side of it, but obviously it's nasty stuff. It's a shame it's so serious, because otherwise it's ideal piss-taking material.

It is. Everyone i catch up with nows first question is 'Hows yer arse?".

Guest Jay W
Fuckin butcherers. Hope its all good and well. If anyone saw my arse theyd run a mile (although i could say that before the op too).

Pilonidal.org is a usa forum just for ps sufferers. Theres loads of 'us' including loads of women.

"us" :smile: The chosen ones. I dont think I'll be reading that site though, hearing some cases will just make me even more paranoid I think.

Holy schmoley. I was like paul - moaning about pluckuing the odd thick whisker out of my face. What an eye opener. Maybe this is why people have the old back, sack and crack wax . . . . .

not for the feint hearted

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/december/Miller/Pilonidal-Sinus.html

worldwidewounds! thats an ace name for a website.

I am having a bath in immac tonight.

My Girlfriend insists on pulling any in growing hair out of me with the tweezers, she does this once a week or so (last night was the last time this happened)

It can get a little annoying when I’m trying to watch the TV, but as a result I have pimple-free skin

Result !!

Its not about having too much hair anyway as i'm nto considered over hairy. As Jay said i'm born with it and it just got infected. I just hope its not hereditary.

I'll have a look at that WWW tonight. I'm always interested in others PS. My last surgheon showed photos of what he was going to do to me from his previous op. That included cutting digging pulling and what came out. Lovely. The bloke is mental but a genius.

I had one in my spine. Had an operation and was out for 7 weeks. Painful.

Had one like that myself Ron.2 yrs ago.Never felt pain like it in my life.Went to casualty after putting up with it for about 3 days,and they admitted me and operated next morn.Spent 5 days in hospital,followed by 10 weeks off work,with a nurse calling to the house every day to pack the wound.Wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy!!

• 2 years later...

I've got me second bout with one of these bad boys, woke up saturday thinking the missus must have kicked us up the arse in bed, then she said it could be an ingroiwn hair again - sure enough took me back to the pain of three years ago.

Last time I had it, was working in blackpool so spent an hour each way driving to work, didn't know what the fuck was up, just thought I'd banged me back somehow. Decided to get a massage seat for the car from Halfords and spent the next couple of days driving to blackpool trying to push me lower back into the massage seat, needless to say - couple of days later I could barely move, had the missus take a look at where the pain was, and she was like there's some weird puss shit at the top of yer arse crack. Visit to the doctors who confirmed the abcess - told me it was the biggest he'd seen - Cheers Doc, not what yer want to hear with yer kex round yer ankles and yer cheeks on show.

He prescribed anitibiotics and a cream the missu s had to rub into the affected area, we were flying off to Lanzarote wit the outlaws 2 days later, I had to sit on a fucking rubber ring on the plane. Luckily the brother in law had had the same thing, he'd had a major op to sort his and ended up on the couch for 12 months whilst it healed - which I'd duly taken the piss out of, so maybe a bit of instant karma that I ended up with the same but to a much lesser degree.

Just hope antibiotics will whack this one as well, can't afford too much time off work, nor medical bills (the NHS appears even better when you no longer have access to it!)... pain in the arse doesn't quite sum the fucker up

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

pilonidal-no-6.jpg

ive had something like that for over 3 years now, it comes and goes every month and last for about 1-2 weeks where i have pain and it bleeds, then it goes away again.

i did talk to my doctor about it and he said that it was a "mini ingrowing hair" and he wouldnt do anything about it until it got worse, well as i said thats 3 years ago and they come and go.

i really dont know what to do about it.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

pilonidal-no-6.jpg

ive had something like that for over 3 years now, it comes and goes every month and last for about 1-2 weeks where i have pain and it bleeds, then it goes away again.

i did talk to my doctor about it and he said that it was a "mini ingrowing hair" and he wouldnt do anything about it until it got worse, well as i said thats 3 years ago and they come and go.

i really dont know what to do about it.

I'd look at changing yer doctor for a kick off mate, especially if the fucker bleeds

Funkasy it won't go away. Change your doctor.

Read up the rest of the thread.

The longer you leave it the more flesh it could infect. Your doctors an idiot. I went through 8 doctors until I found one that knew about it. You need an op mate. Look at the options, ask about plastic surgery at east grinstead (home of the WW2 'guinea pigs') if you're down south.

I don't mean to scare you but you must get it sorter before you have it like mine.

oh and get a PS3 before your op as you'll be doing a lot of lying down on your front.

I'm looking for a bit more info here if possible.

I've had a solid to touch lump in a similar area to what we're talking about here (base of spine/top of arse) and Ive always pit it down as a sist and said I won't do nothing about it untill it changed eg started growing or hurting

It doesn't hurt at the minute, I don't think it has grown much inwhat I would say was a year since I noticed it.

What I want to know is how quickly from when you noticed a lump did it turn into a puss spewing sci-fi monster?

Can they, in your experience, not be painful for a long time?

I'm going the doctors today now regardless

Also, my sympathies to every one who has had one of those bad boys

Every case is different of course so I can only tell you about mine.

Mine was pretty fast growing from spot to bit of a boil to bursting. I was out lashing most nights in 1998 so I didn't even notice it until the blood was on my clothes. As with all interent health discussions, it's best not to worry as you've probably got something different.

If you are going to the doctors though, try asking him if its a pilonidal sinus (or Pilonidal cyst for those Americanies) to check his knowledge. In my experience it's the nurses who know more about Pilonidal sinus as 99% of them have probably experienced them in their training and I've one special nurse to thank for the rest of my life.

Going back to my experience, it was never that painful - which was the only good part of the 10 years! - apart from having an open wound the size of a fist of course. And a metal thin rod being shoved up another wound every day for years. But I had a particularly bad one.

The majority of first time ops clear it up and you don't see it again. Unfortunately if you get a surgeon that misses a bit of infection or thinks a large open wound will heal itself without complications or infection (i.e an idiot) you're going to go back again. And again.

Arthur, Funkasy and CW, again, don't be alarmed. Just go to your docs, make sure they know their stuff. If you're unsure, get a 2nd opinion from another doctor or nurse. If you do have to have an op let me know.

Good luck.

Oh and for the record, next month will be 3 years in the clear. The best 3 years of my life so far.

I had a perianal abcess caused by an ingrowing hair millimetres away from my arsehole last year. Basically I couldn't walk, sit, stand, laugh, cough or lie on my back. It's then you realise that your arse is the fulcrum of your whole body! I ended up going to the hospital for an overnight stay. NEVER been in as much pain as that before.

Thankfully it was a small wound, 2cm long and 2cm deep (althought you don't realise how big that looks until you've looked at a ruler!)

Still, off work for 4 weeks and had to get it packed every other day. I no longer have a fear of showing my arse to anyone! Having a dump was horrific as I had to pull the packing 'out of the way' as it were. Gave me plenty of time to play my PS3 though!!!

I'd never heard of them until I was in hospital. And 2 other lads in my ward had exactly the same problem. My sympathy goes out to anyone who gets one!