You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ingrowing hair..

Stouffer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Temps fate*

Ingrowing hairs seem to have become a thing of the past for me now. Since I started sharpening my razor on a pair of jeans before every shave (as recommended by someone on here) and also shaving once more often each week than before, I haven't had a single one. Sweet.

i went the quack yesterday, she advised maybe worth having op next time it occurs, but has prescribed some antibiotics. Also took my blood pressure which was high, pointed out this could have been in part due to the state of my arse cheek, and also having to lie on a bed with a stranger checking the top of my crevice... gotta go back in 2 weeks to have the BP rechecked - looks like it's time to pack in the smokes and try and get healthy.

Funkasy get a better doctor dude - you got bloody duds regularly - that shit needs looking at with a second opinion.

Kudos to all who have suffered the double arsehole!

a mate of mine has affro style hair all over his body (he`s white)...and he gets ingrown hairs all the time

anyway, he had one on his stomach, just at his belly button a few years back and had to get it operated on, when he woke up after the procedure he overheard one nurse telling another that the hair they took out was over 10 feet long!!!!!

he now has no belly button as they had to slice the fucker open to get the hair, he looks like one of the clones of homer from the Simpsons, hilarious looking!!!!! :D

i went the quack yesterday, she advised maybe worth having op next time it occurs, but has prescribed some antibiotics. Also took my blood pressure which was high, pointed out this could have been in part due to the state of my arse cheek, and also having to lie on a bed with a stranger checking the top of my crevice... gotta go back in 2 weeks to have the BP rechecked - looks like it's time to pack in the smokes and try and get healthy.

Funkasy get a better doctor dude - you got bloody duds regularly - that shit needs looking at with a second opinion.

Kudos to all who have suffered the double arsehole!

Antibiotics do fuck all but yes, pack in the fags!

I'm scared fucking shitless here reading this. How do i spot them early?

on the pilonidal sinus.....Uncomfortable feeling in your lower back...just above your arse....like pressure when sitting down. Hard to spot physically due to its position but i think its like a red dot.....i seem to remember being told that cyclists get them in particular ( i think thats where i got mine )...So i decided to kick the fitness gig go back to the drink and the ciggies.

And this is a conversation i never expected to have

Every case is different of course so I can only tell you about mine.

Mine was pretty fast growing from spot to bit of a boil to bursting. I was out lashing most nights in 1998 so I didn't even notice it until the blood was on my clothes. As with all interent health discussions, it's best not to worry as you've probably got something different.

If you are going to the doctors though, try asking him if its a pilonidal sinus (or Pilonidal cyst for those Americanies) to check his knowledge. In my experience it's the nurses who know more about Pilonidal sinus as 99% of them have probably experienced them in their training and I've one special nurse to thank for the rest of my life.

Going back to my experience, it was never that painful - which was the only good part of the 10 years! - apart from having an open wound the size of a fist of course. And a metal thin rod being shoved up another wound every day for years. But I had a particularly bad one.

The majority of first time ops clear it up and you don't see it again. Unfortunately if you get a surgeon that misses a bit of infection or thinks a large open wound will heal itself without complications or infection (i.e an idiot) you're going to go back again. And again.

Arthur, Funkasy and CW, again, don't be alarmed. Just go to your docs, make sure they know their stuff. If you're unsure, get a 2nd opinion from another doctor or nurse. If you do have to have an op let me know.

Good luck.

Oh and for the record, next month will be 3 years in the clear. The best 3 years of my life so far.

Excellent post and advice, LFC. To all those worried about it, go to the doc and get it checked without delay. If its nothing, then it will at least set your mind at rest. And its not the worst op ever.....its just inconvenient more than anything. Your intuition is a good guide..if you feel your health isn't right, then it probably isn't.

• 3 years later...

I get the occasional Cyst, basically an in growing hair that then gets under the skin and makes a sac of fluid.

Anyway, I had one developing on my cheek for months, then I spotted the ingrowing hair and got the tweezers out. Managed to get 5 full length beard hairs out of it. No puss though, just manky ingrowing old hair.

As far as prevention goes, i think good shaving and exfoliation is the way forward. I'm a man, so do neither. If I was to do that it would lead to fucking moisturising.

Can you not use tweezers?

I get the occasional Cyst, basically an in growing hair that then gets under the skin and makes a sac of fluid.

Anyway, I had one developing on my cheek for months, then I spotted the ingrowing hair and got the tweezers out. Managed to get 5 full length beard hairs out of it. No puss though, just manky ingrowing old hair.

As far as prevention goes, i think good shaving and exfoliation is the way forward. I'm a man, so do neither. If I was to do that it would lead to fucking moisturising.

It had got to the white head/pimple stage and I popped this and dug for ages with no luck getting it out.

It's now a bit scabby, not healing and when I try to dig it out I get nowhere.

It had got to the white head/pimple stage and I popped this and dug for ages with no luck getting it out.

It's now a bit scabby' date=' not healing and when I try to dig it out I get nowhere.[/quote']

I feel your pain. I've got my first one in a year and the cunt is killing me. Mine seem to be worse when I'm under more pressure/stress.

What definitely helps though is this...

*cringes at forthcoming word choice*

...routine:

1. I only shave three days a week max (Monday, Wednesday & Friday when I'm at work).

2. But I don't go longer than five days without shaving (when I'm off work).

3. I shave in the shower so my skin is warm and beard softer.

4. I use Liz Earle sensitive shave cream - about a pea-sized bit rubbed into beard. It lathers really well but allows you to see the beard underneath.

5. I use Mach 3 Turbo blades and sharpen them on a razor pit before every shave.

6. I always shave with the grain of my beard and never against it. I shave slowly and try hard to avoid shaving the same bit of beard twice.

7. I then use Luz Earle face scrub around the whole area I've shaved.

8. Finally I use Liz Earle after shave moisturiser after I'm out of the shower and dry.

I know this sounds like a massive faff but it took me about ten years of trial and error after years of razor burn to get to something that made these cunting fucking in-growing bastards less frequent and painful. And it deffo helps and doesn't take long at all.

This is my first one 'proper'.

I've had a couple white heads come up after a wet shave that looked like they could go that way but to be honest I hardly ever wet shave anymore.

Maybe once a week I'll just shorten it with a bread trimmer. Reckon I may have a wet shave tonight though and slice the bastard open and just dig through the pain until I get it.

This is my first one 'proper'.

I've had a couple white heads come up after a wet shave that looked like they could go that way but to be honest I hardly ever wet shave anymore.

Maybe once a week I'll just shorten it with a bread trimmer. Reckon I may have a wet shave tonight though and slice the bastard open and just dig through the pain until I get it.

I bet that's fun.