You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

On a Teams call this afternoon for work. The South Wales Regional Manager has just introduced herself and said because she can’t go to the coronation on the weekend she’s dressing up every day for work this week as if she was there! 

Cunt. 

She looks more like she's on a hen do in Benidorm!

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

All due respect, and I have no dog in this fight, but that article isn’t exactly objective regarding the subject. Even the stats and figures it presents are massaged - round down when it should be up etc. 

A lot of opinion and anecdotal stuff in there too, with some things presented as fact, but without context or background or even metrics. 

Could all be right mate, but I can bet there is a similar article from the other side which outlines why all the claims of boosting the economy are true. An impartial look at it all would be much more insightful. Republic are a pressure group pushing for the abolishment of the monarchy. I don’t think you could have found a more biased piece than that.

Again, before I start getting called a Tory or flag shagger or whatever, I really couldn’t care less. Misleading bias from any side is shite though.

1 hour ago, Curly said:

All due respect, and I have no dog in this fight, but that article isn’t exactly objective regarding the subject. Even the stats and figures it presents are massaged - round down when it should be up etc. 

A lot of opinion and anecdotal stuff in there too, with some things presented as fact, but without context or background or even metrics. 

Could all be right mate, but I can bet there is a similar article from the other side which outlines why all the claims of boosting the economy are true. An impartial look at it all would be much more insightful. Republic are a pressure group pushing for the abolishment of the monarchy. I don’t think you could have found a more biased piece than that.

Again, before I start getting called a Tory or flag shagger or whatever, I really couldn’t care less. Misleading bias from any side is shite though.

No tourist meets the royals -- the Palace would be a destination whether anyone lived there or not.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

No tourist meets the royals -- the Palace would be a destination whether anyone lived there or not.

They'd make more money by being able to sell tours to all the currently-off-limits castles. 

The oversize-scissors industry would take a beating, of course.

gettyimages-1138915639.jpg?width=720&cen

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

They'd make more money by being able to sell tours to all the currently-off-limits castles. 

They're just his normal scissors, fucker's got hands like Brother Lee Love!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Curly said:

Which figures are misrepresented and "massaged"?  Which statements are disingenuously decontextualised?

You'll struggle to find a comparable article giving a breakdown of the figures that supports the claim that the Monarchy is good for tourism, because it just isn't.  Like the Evertonian "Reds on PEDs myth", the whole thing relies on a claim that has been debunked; in this case, even the organisation that made the original claim admitted that they don't have facts to back it up.

In any case, the Monarchists are the ones making the tourism claim; the onus is on them to back it up. They have failed to do that.

Facts matter more than whoever is stating them.  If NASA published an article debunking Flat Earth claims, you wouldn't (or shouldn't!) dismiss it as biased, because they're pro-globe. The fact that this article is from Republic is reason to go and verify their figures, if you want, but no reason to dismiss them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

They're not oversized.  Made for his fat fingers. 

I'm always amazed at the low bar for what is considered a good day's work for a royal. 

There was a story yesterday about William and Kate 'getting on a tube train and pulling a pint in a pub'. 

That's the kind of thing that'd impress me if it was a dolphin or someone with quite considerable brain damage, alas no. This is what we pay our money for. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Hope it pisses rain.

Looks like it's gonna hoy down all day. No doubt some sad cunt like dan wootton will say it's the queens tears of pride or some vomit inducing shit I hope lightning strikes and all the horses bolt and trample the fucking creeps to death 

• Upvote 1

I remember once going to that Bongo's Bingo shite with work. I clocked that the top brass, most of whom were from London, were filming us on their phones at points throughout the night, not the actual stage. It was clear they thought it was like a day out at the zoo, yet still the plebs lapped it up. That's how the royals and most in the media view the British public.

Did you know most wealthy Romans didn't even believe in the Gods? 

• Upvote 1

I actually don't have a problem with the aristocrats, they are what they are and mostly live in their own bubble. I've known a couple, not on 1st name terms, and they are mostly nutters and largely skint, except for owning land. Houses falling to bits and 30 year old land rovers. Monarchy is completely different I should add.

Real problem is the aspiring middle class. The Boris Johnson level cunt. Gets just enough of a sniff of the top to think he can be one of them when he never will,

11 hours ago, Curly said:

I Do find it amusing that the best argument for keeping the set of parasites is that they have now become some sort of glorified blackpool tower.

Even if they do bring in money,can we take off all their money and lands and stop treating them like they are some sort of higher beings?

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

I Do find it amusing that the best argument for keeping the set of parasites is that they have now become some sort of glorified blackpool tower.

Even if they do bring in money,can we take off all their money and lands and stop treating them like they are some sort of higher beings?

Your average toff is mostly harmless. More occupied with shooting things and occasionally huffing and puffing. Tight as a ducks arse and like I say pretty skint cash wise. Not our skint but not buying Caribbean islands. The crown and the court are a different breed again. Leaches.

1 minute ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Your average toff is mostly harmless. More occupied with shooting things and occasionally huffing and puffing. Tight as a ducks arse and like I say pretty skint cash wise. Not our skint but not buying Caribbean islands. The crown and the court are a different breed again. Leaches.

Sound's like boris johnson