You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best film speech ever.

Sut

And of course the now classic....................

Jules: Okay, so tell me again about the hash bars.

Vincent: Okay, so what'cha want to know?

Jules: Hash is legal there, right?

Vincent: It's legal, but it ain't a hundred percent legal. I mean you can't walk into a restaurant, roll a joint, and start puffin' away. I mean, they want you to smoke in your home or certain designated places.

Jules: And those are hash bars?

Vincent: Yeah, it breaks down like this: okay, it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's illegal to carry it, but, but - but that doesn't matter 'cause -- get a load of this, alright -- if you get stopped by a cop in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

Jules: Oh, man, I'm goin', that's all there is to it -- I'm fuckin' goin'.

Vincent: I know baby. You'd dig it the most. But you know what the funniest thing about Europe is?

Jules: What?

Vincent: It's the little differences. I mean they got the same shit over there that they got here, but it's just - it's just there it's a little different.

Jules: Examples?

Vincent: Alright, well you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonald's. And you know what they call a, uh, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?

Vincent: Nah, man, they got the metric system, they wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.

Jules: What do they call it?

Vincent: They call it a "Royale with Cheese."[2]

Jules: "Royale with Cheese."

Vincent: Thats right.

Jules: What do they call a Big Mac?

Vincent: A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it "Le Big Mac."

Jules: "Le Big Mac." [laughs] What do they call a Whopper?

Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King. But, you know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

Jules: What?

Vincent: Mayonnaise.

Jules: God damn!

Vincent: I seen 'em do it, man, they fuckin' drown 'em in that shit.

Jules: That's some fucked up shit.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you count, suckers? I say, the future is ours... if you can count!

Now, look what we have here before us. We got the Saracens sitting next to the Jones Street Boys. We've got the Moonrunners right by the Van Cortlandt Rangers. Nobody is wasting nobody. That... is a miracle. And miracles is the way things ought to be.

You're standing right now with nine delegates from 100 gangs. And there's over a hundred more. That's 20,000 hardcore members. Forty-thousand, counting affiliates, and twenty-thousand more, not organized, but ready to fight: 60,000 soldiers! Now, there ain't but 20,000 police in the whole town. Can you dig it?

Can you dig it?

Can you dig it?

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday night. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

This one is all about the context and delivery, but it's still a fucking magic piece of cinema:

I've seen things you people wouldnt believe, hmmm.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I've watched c beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

All those moments, will be lost in time like - tears in rain.

Time to die.

'We Love...' roll call, y'all! Boogie Down Productions, Rob Base, Dana Dayne, Marley Marl, Ola Tunji, Chuck D, Ray Charles, EPMD, Eu Alberta Hunter, Run DMC, Stetsosonic, Sugar Bear, John Coltrane, Big Daddy Kane, Salt'n'Pepa, Luther Vandross, McKoy Tyner, Bizmarkie, New Edition, Otis Redding, Anita Baker, Thelonius Monk, Marcus Miller, Branford Marsalis, James Brown, Wayne Shorter, Tracey Chapman, Miles Davis, Force MD's, Oliver Nelson, Fred Wesley, Maceo, Janet Jackson, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, George Clinton, Count Basie, Mtume, Stevie Wonder, Bobby McFerrin, Dexter Gordon, Sam Cooke, Paul Mc, Funkadelic, Al Jarreau, Teddy Pendergrass, Joe Williams, Wynton Marsalis, Phyllis Hyman, Sade, Sarah Vaughn, Rolland Kirk, Keith Sweat, Kool Moe D, Prince, Ella Fitzgerald, Diana Reeves, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, Bessie Smith, Whitney Houston, Dionne Warwick, Steel Pulse, Little Richard, Mahalia Jackson, Jackie Wilson, Cannonball AND Nick Adderly, Quincy Jones, Marvin Gaye, Charles Inglis and Marion Williams. We wanna thank you all for makin' our lives just a little brighter here on We Love Radio!"

(Mr. Senor Love Daddy)

And Radio Raheem steps up to the plate:

Let me tell you the story of "Right Hand, Left Hand." It's a tale of good and evil. Hate: It was with this hand that Cane iced his brother. Love: These five fingers, they go straight to the soul of man. The right hand: the hand of love. The story of life is this: Static. One hand is always fighting the other hand; and the left hand is kicking much ass. I mean, it looks like the right hand, Love, is finished. But, hold on, stop the presses, the right hand is coming back. Yeah, he got the left hand on the ropes, now, that's right. Ooh, it's the devastating right and Hate is hurt, he's down. Left-Hand Hate K.O.ed by Love.

Apocalypse Now has some of the best movie speeches going.

Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...

Willard - Everybody wanted me to do it, him most of all. I felt like he was up there, waiting for me to take the pain away. He just wanted to go out like a soldier, standing up, not like some poor, wasted, rag-assed renegade. Even the jungle wanted him dead, and that's who he really took his orders from anyway.

Also not a speech, but one of the best comebacks I've ever heard in a movie:

Hector: You want to give me the cash, or do I kill your brother first, before I kill you?

Tony: Why don't you try sticking your head up your ass? See if it fits.

And Radio Raheem steps up to the plate:

Let me tell you the story of "Right Hand, Left Hand." It's a tale of good and evil. Hate: It was with this hand that Cane iced his brother. Love: These five fingers, they go straight to the soul of man. The right hand: the hand of love. The story of life is this: Static. One hand is always fighting the other hand; and the left hand is kicking much ass. I mean, it looks like the right hand, Love, is finished. But, hold on, stop the presses, the right hand is coming back. Yeah, he got the left hand on the ropes, now, that's right. Ooh, it's the devastating right and Hate is hurt, he's down. Left-Hand Hate K.O.ed by Love.

There are some fucking great films mentioned on this thread, but Do The Right Thing has to be near the top.

Nother bit of gold from Goodfellas:

What's really funny was that

fucking bank job in Secaucus.

I'm in the weeds lying down.

He said, "What are you doing?"

I said, "Resting. Here?"

"In the weeds? I'm resting!"

They pull me in, start asking questions.

You know, this and that.

"What are you going to tell us?"

I said, "My usual. Nothing."

"Why tell you?" The fuck. He says,

"No, you'll tell me something today."

I said, "Okay, go fuck your mother."

You saw the paper.

My head was out like this.

I'm coming around and who

do I see in front of me?

This prick again. He says, "What

do you want to tell me now?"

I said, "Eh bing, what are you doing here?

I thought I told you to go fuck your mother."

'I'll tell you something. I'm glad I found out in time just what a partnership with a pair of wankers like you would have been. A sleepin' partner's one thing, but you're in a fuckin' coma! No wonder you've got an energy crisis your side of the water! Us British, we're used to a bit more vitality, imagination, touch of the Dunkirk spirit, know what I mean? The days when Yanks could come over here and buy up Nelson's Column and an 'arley Street surgeon and a couple of windmill girls are definitely over!'

'Now look–'

'Shut up you long streak of paralysed piss. What I'm lookin' for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world. Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than an 'otdog – know what I mean? We're in the Common Market now, and my new deal is with Europe. I'm goin' into partnership with a German organisation. Yeah! The Krauts! They've got ambition! Know-how! And they don't lose their bottle. Look at you. The Mafia? I've shit 'em!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVrZJaN1IU

One of my favourite film speeches, followed by one of the best ever performances by an actor without speaking a single line.

'I'll tell you something. I'm glad I found out in time just what a partnership with a pair of wankers like you would have been. A sleepin' partner's one thing, but you're in a fuckin' coma! No wonder you've got an energy crisis your side of the water! Us British, we're used to a bit more vitality, imagination, touch of the Dunkirk spirit, know what I mean? The days when Yanks could come over here and buy up Nelson's Column and an 'arley Street surgeon and a couple of windmill girls are definitely over!'

'Now look–'

'Shut up you long streak of paralysed piss. What I'm lookin' for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world. Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than an 'otdog – know what I mean? We're in the Common Market now, and my new deal is with Europe. I'm goin' into partnership with a German organisation. Yeah! The Krauts! They've got ambition! Know-how! And they don't lose their bottle. Look at you. The Mafia? I've shit 'em!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVrZJaN1IU

One of my favourite film speeches, followed by one of the best ever performances by an actor without speaking a single line.

That is a superb speech that, Hoskins at his vintage best. Lanky streak of paralysed piss is probably the funniest insult I've ever heard.

KILGORE: You smell that. You smell that?

LANCE: What?

KILGORE: Napalm, boy....nothing else in the world smells like that....I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

One time we had a hill bombed for 12 hours. I walked up it when it was all over; we didn't find one of 'em ... not one stinking gook body. They slipped out in the night...but the smell....that gasoline smell...the whole hill....it smelled like ...victory...

Robert Shaw is widely believed to have composed most of that speech himself.

One of my favourite all-time scenes as well.

Its a mish-mash from Carl Gottlieb, Military nut John Milius and Shaw himself.

Apparently, Shaw was a bit drunk and emotional and went off on one about literature, history and his family while filming the scene. The crew couldn't say anything though cos he would've kicked their arses.

The 'Berg just gave him a hug when he finished. Ahhh.

Guest rodward

That speech in V for vendetta was dope. I cant find it but i really liked it. U know the one. His vocab was on some other shit!

Guest rodward

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And poof. Just like that, he's gone.

He lets the last Hungarian go. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and then he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. Nobody has ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. "Rat on your pop, and Keyser Soze will get you." And no-one ever really believes.