You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oxford University

Section_31

I was diagnosed dyslexic at the tender age of 23, and i only found out because i wanted a laptop and thought i'd chance my arm. Left it too late on my course to get any perks though.

they did let me sit exams using a PC instead of a freezing hall though, yet my grades dropped! I evened the ballance out by storing information on my M drive for my final exams and cutting and pasting my way to an honours degree.

Dyslexia is actually class, you can blame anything your not good at on it. Getting lost when you drive, being shite at snooker, its class. And i also have a penchant for parking in disabled spaces. Although i don't think its aloud, my condition precludes me from guilt!

Exactly. I had it all through school and never knew. I was always one of the kids who was "good at sports shite at everything else". Went to college studied Physical Ed done a Personal Training Diploma nad it was after all that when I sat up m P.T business I was diagnosed. IT is quality though because as you said you can blame anything on it. Like my tax return form, "accidently" shagging the missus up the wrong un - "Sorry love its the dyslexia" :laugh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I had it all through school and never knew. I was always one of the kids who was "good at sports shite at everything else". Went to college studied Physical Ed done a Personal Training Diploma nad it was after all that when I sat up m P.T business I was diagnosed. IT is quality though because as you said you can blame anything on it. Like my tax return form, "accidently" shagging the missus up the wrong un - "Sorry love its the dyslexia" :laugh:

Was pretty pissed off though, as my report said i'd be some kind of high-flyer if i didn't have it. Apparently my IQ is through the roof (in her words honest!) but my 'mental processing speed', whatever that is, is distinctly average.

I said to her, "does this mean I'm slow?"

She just frowned and said, er, yes.

Got a bit of a 'regarding henry' thing on the go. I'll wander around thinking of big ideas for a PHD but struggling to unwrap a lolly ice!

Was pretty pissed off though, as my report said i'd be some kind of high-flyer if i didn't have it. Apparently my IQ is through the roof (in her words honest!) but my 'mental processing speed', whatever that is, is distinctly average.

I said to her, "does this mean I'm slow?"

She just frowned and said, er, yes.

Got a bit of a 'regarding henry' thing on the go. I'll wander around thinking of big ideas for a PHD but struggling to unwrap a lolly ice!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And now you're posting on here . . . . . . where did it all go wrong

Wrong? Oxford was the starter for the intellectual main course that is TLW's General Forum.

As TwelveMonkeys said "WANKERS - The lot of you"

No, that was something everyone else was doing while I was working to get in to Oxford.

I earned my time there!!!!

The carnation thing is wrong- anyway, there's only first year exams and finals- nothing in the second year (wohoo!). The port and sword story has been around in different forms for decades, and is an urban myth. Probably started by the authorities to stop smartarse students from trying some of the more obscure rule

I went to St Andrews and there were the same myths about being provided with ale if you turned up to exams in full highland dress.

BTW, you're not related to the original fireplace-wetting Mr Bennett are you?

Narrr...just drilling home the point that students are wankers via the old..."you got a history degree and you work in a call centre" route.

But yes...as a rule students are a bunch of useless money shy, complaining, useless, dirty, useless, dullard wankers.

There are plenty of that type. There are plenty of hard working and bright students too though. As a funny generalisation it's fine but it doesn't hold a lot of water.

Gordon...what did you study and what do you do for a living?

Maths and Philosophy.

I teach Maths in a comprehensive.

But yes...as a rule students are a bunch of useless money shy, complaining, useless, dirty, useless, dullard wankers.

If it weren't for the likes of me, you wouldn't know if you were TwelveMonkeys or ElevenMonkeys.

Agreed. There are hard working, bright, funny, charismatic, clean students.

I doubt very much they drink port though.

The boss of a pub I used to work inbehind the bar for my first job would always have a snifter of port with me after we had had a post-work session. Usually around 4am before we stumbled home our seperate ways. So I have fond memories of Port, it was part of my drinking training as a lad.

Absolute middle class fucking wankers. Students wind me the fuck up but students in bugger me dorm universities like Oxford and Cambridge fuck me off to a whole new level. Section 31 your posts are usually spot on and funny and I'll read them but this one has filled me with rage.

Oddball

Its the absolute confidence / arrogance that is instilled in public school children that irks me.

They still have to make the grade so it's not just about parents' money buying them in. So many of the public schools know how to groom their pupils for entrance exams and interviews that they are at a huge advantage.

sdf.df.df