You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Natural Planet

Stu Monty

It is a quality show Stu, of that there is no doubt, but for me its not 'quite' as good as Blue planet. The cinematography and music are superb, as are the attetnion to detail etc, but it lacks 'flow'. Running the series along the lines that they have 'freash water' ' snow' 'Caves' etc means that one is jumped from the south atlantic one minute to the freezing cold of the arctic in seconds and you lose 'feel' for the programme. When a programme concentrates on a species it allows the makers to paint a deeper picture. This is almost sound bite nature programming for the ADH generation. Like I said, good, but for 9pm on Sunday on BBC one Id expect something more indepth and substantial.

How is the sunshine bus BTW, from my first look in ages it looks like some bastards ordered a fleet of them now ?

Shipped a whole load out a few weeks ago. There's a few hanging around that I'm reserving seats for but they haven't prompted me to force them on the bus yet.

Blue Planet, now there's a program. Got the series on DVD and every couple of months it goes on without fail.

I do agree with what redrose and original said though. Maybe the 15mins at the end where they explained how they filmed the episode could of been saved for the dvd extras, giving time for more detail.

• 2 weeks later...
Blue Planet, now there's a program. Got the series on DVD and every couple of months it goes on without fail.

I do agree with what redrose and original said though. Maybe the 15mins at the end where they explained how they filmed the episode could of been saved for the dvd extras, giving time for more detail.

Having queried Natural Planet, it seemed a shame to leave it there, so I've been checking out the wildlife programmes to see what was out there. Yes, Blue Planet is quality, but currently on Mondays at about 11:30on BBC2 you can watch CONGO. Its Natural Planet, but conecntrating solely on the Congo. No changing continent every three minutes, on this you can get up to 30 minutes just lookin g at Gorillas. Its an ace programme and the one Id recommend, in a Paul The Wire way.

Having queried Natural Planet, it seemed a shame to leave it there, so I've been checking out the wildlife programmes to see what was out there. Yes, Blue Planet is quality, but currently on Mondays at about 11:30on BBC2 you can watch CONGO. Its Natural Planet, but conecntrating solely on the Congo. No changing continent every three minutes, on this you can get up to 30 minutes just lookin g at Gorillas. Its an ace programme and the one Id recommend, in a Paul The Wire way.

Yeah I saw that the other week and thought it was interesting. It was going through how they think that evolution progressed when the primates left the forest and moved into the plains.

Have they done the "um Bongo" episode yet? I love that.

• 13 years later...
  • 3 months later...