You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Van der Saar

Gav

We've missed out big time methinks

Fulham boss Chris Coleman expects goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar to commit

himself to the club within the next 24 hours.

The Dutch international, whose current deal expires at the end of the season,

is expected to extend his stay at Craven Cottage by another year.

Coleman said: "There's just a few details to be ironed out but it should be

completed either later today or tomorrow."

Timo Hildebrand, 25 is leaving Stuttgart at the end of his contract this summer. Maybe he'd be a good choice? (or maybe he's just going to Bayern Munich as everyone else in Germany)

Speaking of Timo, where is Timo Koppakala, our crazy Finn at these days?

Timo Hildebrand, 25 is leaving Stuttgart at the end of his contract this summer. Maybe he'd be a good choice? (or maybe he's just going to Bayern Munich as everyone else in Germany)

Speaking of Timo, where is Timo Koppakala, our crazy Finn at these days?

What about that big Danish bastard last night? Looked like he could crush Schmeichel.

I reckon the growth hormones destined for the swine population (4 to 1 ratio to humans) found it's way to him.

Id have had Van der Saar. And id have Carson as his number two.

It seems Jerzy, unfortunately, cant get his level back to where it was. Thanks Jerzy but i think VdS could give us more consistency for the next year or two.

Damn that after work joint, i forgot about Kirkland, then.

Aah i dont know now. O_o

Sometimes the post work bifta clears the mind and stops you seeing things that dont exist. :angel:

It seems to me that we have to keepers who have the opposite qualities, yet neither is the answer. Kirkie is too big and cumbersome, and thats if he stays FIT ! he's strong in the air and does well on crosses, but just isnt agile and quick footed enough. While Dudek is agile as f**k, but losess concentration and isn't dominant. I think both keepers need to move on, and we need a new keeper to take responsibility between the sticks. If not VDS then Sorenson or Cudicini would do me. But we need someone to become the man.

Schwarzer has extended his contract with Boro so that's another off the list.

I can't see any prospect of Chelsea selling Cudicini until they've got another and better replacement lined up.The risk of Cech getting injured and their season being f*cked up is not worth taking for £3-4 m and it's not as if they need the money.

Niemi is one of the few left who might be available.

Sometimes the post work bifta clears the mind and stops you seeing things that dont exist. :angel:

It seems to me that we have to keepers who have the opposite qualities, yet neither is the answer. Kirkie is too big and cumbersome, and thats if he stays FIT ! he's strong in the air and does well on crosses, but just isnt agile and quick footed enough. While Dudek is agile as f**k, but losess concentration and isn't dominant. I think both keepers need to move on, and we need a new keeper to take responsibility between the sticks. If not VDS then Sorenson or Cudicini would do me. But we need someone to become the man.

I agree with in most parts of your post but I don't think we should move Kirky on just yet. Yes ok he does seem to be a bit injury prone maybe just like Gerrard in the early part of his career. I do think that this should be the dude's last season tho :laugh: .

Sorenson - I don't know :no

Cuddicini - Defo 8)

VDS - could have been a bargain right now :tease:

Carson - maybe one for the future :party:

I was saying to my mate the other day how strange it is that goalkeepers don't seem to be as good anymore. The changes in rules over the years have definitely affected goalkeepers to the detrement of their performances.

When thinking of replacements for our goalies, it's hard to think of many in the premiership who would improve us.

I strongly believe that its been made harder for goalkeepers in recent years and the quality available has diminished because of it, anyone agree or am I talking tripe?

I was saying to my mate the other day how strange it is that goalkeepers don't seem to be as good anymore. The changes in rules over the years have definitely affected goalkeepers to the detrement of their performances.

When thinking of replacements for our goalies, it's hard to think of many in the premiership who would improve us.

I strongly believe that its been made harder for goalkeepers in recent years and the quality available has diminished because of it, anyone agree or am I talking tripe?

I agree, I think the change in ball has a lot to do with it as well as the rules, they're so light now they move all over the place, and just when the keepers get used to a particular ball, Sepptic Bladder and his FIFA mates go and change to another one

I've got no sympathy for goalkeepers whatsoever, as they're the only players on the pitch who are allowed to jump about with their knee in people's faces to "protect" themselves. I'm not suggesting we go back to when you were allowed to knock 7 shades of shite out of the GK but until they stop cheating in almost every way (knee up, lying on the ground every time someone challenges them and getting away with it, and time wasting) I've got no sympathy about a ball that moves.

I've got no sympathy for goalkeepers whatsoever, as they're the only players on the pitch who are allowed to jump about with their knee in people's faces to "protect" themselves. I'm not suggesting we go back to when you were allowed to knock 7 shades of shite out of the GK but until they stop cheating in almost every way (knee up, lying on the ground every time someone challenges them and getting away with it, and time wasting) I've got no sympathy about a ball that moves.

Goalkeeper hater!

Worse than a racist, imo.

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night. And I came to two conclusions, yours,that keepers just arent as good, and have been affected by the changes in the law/ball's etc or simply that keepers have always made these mistakes its just that the greater media spotlight highlights the howlers more. I tend to go with the latter, but I really dont know. FWIW, prior to the 2002 WC, Dudek was THE man. It appears that the demons of self doubt that rose from the WC and then the Forlan game have done for his career.

Good point - the increased media spotlight definitely has an effect too. That allied with the constant rule changes has definitely affected the quality of goalkeeping.

I don't particularly feel sorry for them but I think its counter-productive to compare todays keepers with the likes of Clemence et al. Different era different game and all that.