You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 4 Newcastle 2 - Match Reaction

The Reds extended their lead at the top of the Premier League with arguably their best performance of the season to beat Newcastle 4-2 at Anfield in a game where the scoreline did not reflect the performance.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Paul Natton and Julian Richards to look back on a very satisfying night at Anfield. Mo Salah added two more goals to his tally, Curtis Jones excelled in midfield, Joe Gomez continued his great form and Luis Diaz had his best game of the season.

We discuss of this and more, plus there's the obligatory discussion on Darwin's finishing as well as a look ahead to the weekend's FA Cup clash with Arsenal.

View full article

• Upvote 7

• dave u pinned this topic

Great stuff lads. One more piece of amateur hour though, as was pointed out on the pod last week, the league table last season was a month behind due to the world cup. City are 5 points worse off than this time last season. They have lost the control they had for years, it used to be 1 nil after 4 minutes and that was game over. They are going behind and giving up leads like they haven't done before, losing Gundogan and Mahrez is a huge loss. The team now is only 3 or 4 world class players plus a load of good ones and the world class ones have a look of weariness about them.

SmartSelect_20240102_153022_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 3

Apart from the penalties, which, as Dave says would have looked like stonewallers to Taylor (and were correct calls), this was a classic Taylor performance. I debated with my mate beforehand as to how many fouls he'd give against us, the range being 17-20. In the event, it was 16. Watching back, I counted 3 (or was it 4?) soft as fuck fouls on Guimaraes, plus several others. He gave one against Mo, which had Mo losing his shit - which tells you everything you need to know. There were probably no more than 10 legitimate fouls by us. In contrast, he let them get away with loads - Joelinton on Diaz, Almiron going through Gomez right at the end. Newcastle didn't get up to the time wasting shithousing of last season, but their first resort frequently was to hit the deck - probably knowing the referee would be very accommodating.

Fantastic performance from the lads, just a pity we didn't send them home with totally humiliating scoreline, they are such a bunch of cunts, shaped in the image of their cuntish manager.

• Upvote 4

I think the reason Elliot has not come on in this game (and the Man Utd one) is because of height and physicality.

Newcastle are a massive team and we couldn't end the game with 4 small players (Salah, Jota, Elliot and MacAllister).

If we had taken Salah off (never going to happen) he would have come on.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, No2 said:

Great stuff lads. One more piece of amateur hour though, as was pointed out on the pod last week, the league table last season was a month behind due to the world cup. City are 5 points worse off than this time last season. They have lost the control they had for years, it used to be 1 nil after 4 minutes and that was game over. They are going behind and giving up leads like they haven't done before, losing Gundogan and Mahrez is a huge loss. The team now is only 3 or 4 world class players plus a load of good ones and the world class ones have a look of weariness about them.

Amateur hour? Mate, you don’t think Dave pays for this shit do you? Even in kind? 

Actually that’s not strictly true, to be fair; we got our tea paid for on the big night out to see The Coral last month, which was sound. Apart from that though, we’re all amateurs!

• Upvote 2

Trent's booking was for kicking the ball away, not for backchat. For the Lucho booking which was for dissent, I can't recall if there was a break in play, so I think you're right when you say Taylor blew his whistle just to book Lucho. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Yeah I knew that was wrong when Paul said it (I remembered someone had debunked it last time but couldn't remember the details) but I didn't interrupt and then forgot about it. I was also going to say that City aren't as strong as they were when they had Mahrez and Dans boy Gundongan but got sidetracked with something else and didn't go back to it. 

1 hour ago, NoelM said:

I think the reason Elliot has not come on in this game (and the Man Utd one) is because of height and physicality.

Newcastle are a massive team and we couldn't end the game with 4 small players (Salah, Jota, Elliot and MacAllister).

If we had taken Salah off (never going to happen) he would have come on.

Yeah that's a great point and I'm sure that will have been a major factor. Mind you, we conceded from a corner anyway so it didn't make any difference!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Paul said:

Amateur hour? Mate, you don’t think Dave pays for this shit do you? Even in kind? 

Actually that’s not strictly true, to be fair; we got our tea paid for on the big night out to see The Coral last month, which was sound. Apart from that though, we’re all amateurs!

I was joking Paul although I'm shocked he hasn't shared some of the wealth. 

Just now, No2 said:

I was joking Paul although I'm shocked he hasn't shared some of the wealth. 

Haven't made a penny from it because I turned down Manscape's offer!

The first thing I'd do if we made any money from it would be to buy microphones and headsets for the lads to improve the audio. Dan's is especially bad, he sounds like he's inside a tumble drier. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dave u said:

The first thing I'd do if we made any money from it would be to buy microphones and headsets for the lads to improve the audio. Dan's is especially bad, he sounds like he's inside a tumble drier. 

You mean he isn’t? 

• Upvote 1

Nice listen again, thanks fellas.

Deffo agree on the pundits creating the narrative regarding our [clear] penalties.  I also think there was a more sinister edge to it last night from Neville in that he was trying to put doubt there for the remainder of the season, anything that might affect decisions for us even a tiny bit, he'd have no qualms setting that agenda I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Nice listen again, thanks fellas.

Deffo agree on the pundits creating the narrative regarding our [clear] penalties.  I also think there was a more sinister edge to it last night from Neville in that he was trying to put doubt there for the remainder of the season, anything that might affect decisions for us even a tiny bit, he'd have no qualms setting that agenda I'm sure.

Neville should never be allowed to commentate on our games again, he was a disgrace last night

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’m not even half way through it, but nice to get the regular “ok, let’s deal with the elephant in the room and talk about Nunez’s miss” chat out of the way early.  

Where are you listening to it, Johnny?

• Upvote 1

Neil from The Anfield Wrap has also said recently that Curtis is his fifth automatic pick in the team at the moment. Allison, Virgil, Trent, Salah and Curtis. I think he's incredible, there was a moment last night when they tried to press him, even bumped into him, he just shrugged it off, wriggled away and made a simple pass. His touch in the conditions was so assured.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NoelM said:

Neil from The Anfield Wrap has also said recently that Curtis is his fifth automatic pick in the team at the moment. Allison, Virgil, Trent, Salah and Curtis. I think he's incredible, there was a moment last night when they tried to press him, even bumped into him, he just shrugged it off, wriggled away and made a simple pass. His touch in the conditions was so assured.

If Curtis played like he did yesterday in every game, he would be an automatic pick, no doubt.  Getting him to do it in 50% of the games is his next target.  The problem we've had before is he seems to rest on his laurels after a great performance.  I really hope he's got past that behaviour now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dave u said:

And Jules's! It sounds like he's on a 1920s phone line with loads of crackling!

30 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

And Jules's! It sounds like he's on a 1920s phone line with loads of crackling!

Yeah it does. Plus Paul's got dodgy wifi, John B's laptop overheats and sounds like a lawnmower and John G has an echo any time he's on. Monty's audio isn't great either, but on the plus side that makes it difficult to hear what he's saying.

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah it does. Plus Paul's got dodgy wifi, John B's laptop overheats and sounds like a lawnmower and John G has an echo any time he's on. Monty's audio isn't great either, but on the plus side that makes it difficult to hear what he's saying.

All adds to the TLM charm!

• dave u unpinned this topic