You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, nimrod said:

Olise to Liverpool? any legs with this story?

As has been said we're unlikely to move for anyone this window,  unless one of klopps primary targets looks like being picked up by a rival. 

I don't think it's a slam dunk we would be interested in Olise. There are a lot of good things about him but there is a goal threat and a high level of danger we look for in our attacking signings that he doesn't really possess. He's a different kind of player.

On the flip side he's 22, has plenty of room for improvement,  qualifies as home grown, a left footed right sided player who's adding goals to his game, has the kind of premier league experience that makes the club comfortable and his cost is protected by a release clause.

I'd put him in the Jota bracket of player the club would happily take a chance on if available but not one they'd break the bank (wages wise) to compete with other clubs for.

The fact United and Chelsea are also interested probably means we won't fight that hard for him.

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

On the flip side he's 22, has plenty of room for improvement,  qualifies as home grown, a left footed right sided player who's adding goals to his game, has the kind of premier league experience that makes the club comfortable and his cost is protected by a release clause.

I'd put him in the Jota bracket of player the club would happily take a chance on if available but not one they'd break the bank (wages wise) to compete with other clubs for.

The fact United and Chelsea are also interested probably means we won't fight that hard for him.

Agree with all that, I'm looking at it more profile wise, considering that a right sided player is replacing Salah, sooner or later. And if that's the case, you have to replace a fair bit of production.

We've already got Diaz and Gakpo who have diminished as goal threats here compared to their former clubs but who make up for that by having specific skills. Gakpo, the "connector" as he's been called, and Diaz as the ball carrier. And then we have Darwin who is a big threat, but doesn't actually score that many.

Whether you can add Olise to the forward line, another player who isn't a big goal threat yet, and not start suffering in that aspect, is a question I would ask.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

What was Salahs goal threat like before Klopp and Liverpool? I've genuinely no idea.

He'd had two productive seasons at Roma of 15+ goals and had always been a massive threat before that but was a bit famous for being a bad finisher.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

What was Salahs goal threat like before Klopp and Liverpool? I've genuinely no idea.

He scored 1 in 2 for Roma

Concern about Olise might be the issue he's having with his hamstrings of late

47 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agree with all that, I'm looking at it more profile wise, considering that a right sided player is replacing Salah, sooner or later. And if that's the case, you have to replace a fair bit of production.

We've already got Diaz and Gakpo who have diminished as goal threats here compared to their former clubs but who make up for that by having specific skills. Gakpo, the "connector" as he's been called, and Diaz as the ball carrier. And then we have Darwin who is a big threat, but doesn't actually score that many.

Whether you can add Olise to the forward line, another player who isn't a big goal threat yet, and not start suffering in that aspect, is a question I would ask.

Salah's replacement might not be a left footed right sided forward, it could very well be a right footed left sided forward or a No.9 when the time comes and the focus/structure of the attack changes.

I'd see Olise more as part of an attacking unit who provides balance and allows you to be more selective in the use of Salah, it also means that if one of the non-Egyptian forwards goes in the next few years (maybe Diaz fancies a Barca move or we move Jota on) we're not giving ourselves too much to do numbers/budget wise (especially if it coincides with Salah going)

If he goes on to have the kind of impact and rapid improvement Salah/Mane have then it's a bonus.

All of which is too much of a defence for a player I don't think we'll sign.

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

A transfer thread in the middle of the transfer window heading towards page 2, The Liverpool Way.

FEG's forgotten his account password. Once that's sorted, expect the page count to skyrocket.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

He has a release clause doesn't he? And if he's in control of his destination, he'd be fucking mental to choose those other two over us. 

56 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I do think he's a good player. 

But can you really picture Olise in a Liverpool shirt? 

Doesn't look like a klopp player if you ask me. 

That's kind of what I was getting at, but also he's just not the profile in attack we've gone for as well.

He does look good, to be fair.

• Like 1

Nunez is the key to all of it. If he can start scoring a lot of goals, you can maybe buy more of a creator or winger. If not though, we'll need someone who scores a lot. 

In that case, you're looking at the wide forward you think can be the most prolific, or a dangerous 9 like Openda or Boniface.

54 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He has a release clause doesn't he? And if he's in control of his destination, he'd be fucking mental to choose those other two over us. 

He does, but I don't think we need him that much that we'd get into a bidding war on his wages with the likes of Utd and Chelsea.

He wouldn't be the first player to turn down a move that's right for his career in exchange for more money and he wouldn't be the last.

Don't see him as anything more than an opportunistic signing which is why I referenced Jota, one of those signings that if we can get it done on the quiet while other suitors are preoccupied with other targets then the club might jump on it but if it's an open battle with clubs who will offer ridiculous wages we'd happily walk away.

15 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

He does, but I don't think we need him that much that we'd get into a bidding war on his wages with the likes of Utd and Chelsea.

He wouldn't be the first player to turn down a move that's right for his career in exchange for more money and he wouldn't be the last.

Don't see him as anything more than an opportunistic signing which is why I referenced Jota, one of those signings that if we can get it done on the quiet while other suitors are preoccupied with other targets then the club might jump on it but if it's an open battle with clubs who will offer ridiculous wages we'd happily walk away.

Yeah, I don't think we'd pay mental wages for him. But I'm not sure the mancs with the new ownership structure will be going wild and Chelsea surely at some point need to control their spending? Especially as it seems really unlikely they can make Europe again this season..or at least the CL. 

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I don't think we'd pay mental wages for him. But I'm not sure the mancs with the new ownership structure will be going wild and Chelsea surely at some point need to control their spending? Especially as it seems really unlikely they can make Europe again this season..or at least the CL. 

I think we must feel Chelsea are going to need to sell a home grown player soon. The links have started with Colwill again saying they might have to sell

If we could get him for the release clause and somewhere between 90k-130k a week it's probably the sweet spot for where we like to do business (60m is arguably on the high side of our preferred range).

Don't think Utd will go wild and start throwing 250k - 350k at him like they have in the past but I could see them coming in at 200k especially if they get rid of some of the big earners, right wing is a problem position for them and he fits the mould of player they're allegedly trying to sign going forward.

Who knows with Chelsea, they have Palmer playing there now (I think they signed him after Olise turned them down?) but knowing them they'll sell a few home grown players and start loading up again.

Wouldn't rule out City or Arsenal either, Arsenal desperately need someone that allows them to give Saka a rest or they're going to break him (but it depends on their P&S, who they sign as striker which might allow them to shift Jesus to the right occasionally, as well as outgoings).

1 minute ago, Trojan1892 said:

I see us signing Bakayoko tbh, concerns already with Olise and hamstring issues out nearly 4 months last year and now another niggle….

Ive only watched him closely twice against Rangers and he looked very very ordinary. His stats are good but i'd take any of the stats in the Dutch league with a handful of salt