You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Our journos are so shit. Who are they fooling with that garbage list of targets. Kalvin Phillips, jesus christ. 

Their job isn’t (necessarily) to fool anyone. 

It’s to put out whatever message the club wants them to. 

It just comes down to whether the club want to be honest with fans or not. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Their job isn’t (necessarily) to fool anyone. 

It’s to put out whatever message the club wants them to. 

It just comes down to whether the club want to be honest with fans or not. 

I get that, they are useful idiots, most of the time. They just get on my nerves.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Our journos are so shit. Who are they fooling with that garbage list of targets. Kalvin Phillips, jesus christ. 

If you were feeding the journos you’d at least be a bit more imaginative. Stick in Andre and Funky Cold Medina there for sure, maybe a couple that were obvious non starters like Pedri and Kimmich.

I would say Kalvin Phillips would offer us more or less what Henderson would have offered us this season if he stayed.

Whether you think that would be a good thing or not probably says more about your view of Henderson (or maybe your level of expectation of us this season) than Phillips.

51 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I would say Kalvin Phillips would offer us more or less what Henderson would have offered us this season if he stayed.

Whether you think that would be a good thing or not probably says more about your view of Henderson (or maybe your level of expectation of us this season) than Phillips.

Henderson is fucking shit so I'm not sure in what world that would be a good thing.

I think Eze is one that could be converted into a right sided midfielder

Tyler Adams ranks high on defensive duels won

Can cover at RB aswell so could possibly be a good back up for Trent in that pivot role 

Musah is another whos impressed as a DM for the US national team, Milan interested and he expected to go for around 25ml

F0wsn8HagAELuB4?format=jpg&name=small

4 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Actually, that last line was bollocks. Caicedo would be brilliant too, and us just happening to have one of the midfielders he had an amazing season with last year makes him worth an extra 10m.

It's so The Liverpool Way that you can argue with yourself. You just needed that wee bit of calling yourself a cunt to top it off. 

5 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Actually, that last line was bollocks. Caicedo would be brilliant too, and us just happening to have one of the midfielders he had an amazing season with last year makes him worth an extra 10m.

And Caicedo also played and covered at right back too, with some success.

Strong links to Andre from Fluminese this morning.

Going solely from his highlight reels, he looks a better bet than Florentine Luis of Benfica (who spends far too much time sliding around on his arse imo).

Andre looks quick, skilful, low centre of gravity, Brazilian (might keep Alisson happy), could be a shrewd signing.

Also, we keep saying why wait until these Portuguese or German sides take a punt and bring these South American cats to Europe, blood them and then triple their price tag *before* we come in for them, well young Andre here presents an opportunity to buck that trend.

One to keep an eye on, certainly.

8 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Strong links to Andre from Fluminese this morning.

Going solely from his highlight reels, he looks a better bet than Florentine Luis of Benfica (who spends far too much time sliding around on his arse imo).

Andre looks quick, skilful, low centre of gravity, Brazilian (might keep Alisson happy), could be a shrewd signing.

Also, we keep saying why wait until these Portuguese or German sides take a punt and bring these South American cats to Europe, blood them and then triple their price tag *before* we come in for them, well young Andre here presents an opportunity to buck that trend.

One to keep an eye on, certainly.

Another great scouting job by@redrosetints 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Newcastle linked to Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (I copied and pasted) in the Italian press - £82m. The cheating starts now. Fucking cunts

Luckily we can completely discount it as nonsense.

They couldn’t afford Harvey Barnes last week. 

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Wasn’t Gerrard only confirmed as manager there about a week ago?

Pretty sure there would not have been any interest in Hendo from Saudi before that.

Fabinho maybe we would have had an inkling.

Anyway, as you say, at least we have been looking at midfielders so should have a good idea on who’s available and at what price.

Defensive midfielder the most pressing need for me. Could get another 8 a bit later in the window.

He's been going there for a while though, it was just haggling over terms. and you can be sure part of his process would have been to give them a list of who he wanted and who he'd sounded out who'd come. I don't believe for a second it's new news, it might have firmed up this last week, but the prospect must have been there for about a month. And honestly, our willingness to sell (and I'm not saying we shouldn't sell) should mean we plan for the prospect of those players leaving. We have an entire recruitment team there to deal with this issues, it can't all be straight forward "well his contract runs out in 2 years and so let's start looking now and we've 2 years to get it right". We have to have a view of the entire market at all times, understand the costs in that market, which enables us to ensure when we sell someone we are ready to go and can afford to go. 

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

But that's just the standard leaked story from the club. About 4 journos said almost the same word for word in about 5 minutes. 

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I feel Lavia is almost like Thuram / Nunes / Mount… guaranteed to sign for us until they aren’t. 

Personally I think Mount was a genuine target, we just got outbid by Manchester United (be that wages or fee, I don't know which). I think that's what stopped us going to Dom earlier, because we were holding in there as late as we could. Then when it looked definite  the mancs could get a deal over the line, we moved on to Dom's release clause. 

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Not for me - great chance to get rid of two players who have absolutely stunk the place out over last year - one who is in irreversible decline, and way off what we need and the other in decline and it is unlikely he'll get back to sort of level we need given the stiffness of the competition and how far behind them we have fallen.

I appreciate it is a lot of change in one go - but for me it will make us better and it is change that is long overdue - it can't for me be delayed any longer. 

Hendo would be even worse this year IMHO and I remain wholly unconvinced Fabinho has it in him to get back to a level like we want from him 

I appreciate not everyone feels same like....

You'd be happy to start the season with just one senior midfielder who has ever played for the club?

I don't know if you tuned out before the Arsenal game, but Fabinho's form improved massively in the run-in.  Henderson has never been as bad as the noisy eejits have always liked to claim, but I agree it's clear he's on the slide.  

We've already lost three midfielders this summer; losing two or three more have us starting the season with a midfield composed of kids and strangers. That would lead to the kind of start to the season that could see it written off before the end of September.  I don't fancy going through that again.

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I think Eze is one that could be converted into a right sided midfielder

Tyler Adams ranks high on defensive duels won

Can cover at RB aswell so could possibly be a good back up for Trent in that pivot role 

Musah is another whos impressed as a DM for the US national team, Milan interested and he expected to go for around 25ml

F0wsn8HagAELuB4?format=jpg&name=small

How shit is Martin Ødegaard?