You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 Derby County 0 - 3-2 on penalties (Nov 9 2022)

tlw content

derbymatchreportheader.png

Another cup game, another penalty shoot out and another memorable night for Caoimhin Kelleher. That was the only thing memorable about this though. It was pretty dull to say the least.

We’ve come within a whisker of being knocked out here but I’m not blaming the players for that. If we’d lost the shootout I wouldn’t be pointing the fingers at the players because I think they more or less did all they could. I just don’t think the team we put out was strong enough to win the game, but on the plus side they never looked like losing it either and without the ball we were really good. 

Anything can happen with penalties so I’m judging this performance on the 90 minutes. Over the course of the game we were the better side, did not really have any problems defensively other than a couple of half chances which Derby didn’t take, but we didn’t really look like much of a threat either. 

That’s not on the kids who were asked to play up front. You have to be realistic with your expectations of them and I thought they all did fine, in the context of where they are in their development. They played to the level I’d expect but that level is always going to struggle to beat a team like Derby.

So yeah, I thought the team was a little bit top heavy on youngsters and it could have backfired but for the brilliance of Kelleher. I’m all for rotating in this cup and giving kids opportunities, I just think Klopp took it a little too far with this one and made the tie more difficult than it needed to be.

It’s not specifically about the kids themselves. They all deserved their opportunity, just maybe not so many of them at the same time. I looked at the line up beforehand and it was obvious we were going to struggle up front. The rest of the side looked fine with a good blend of youth and experience, but looking at the front three (and Clark behind them) I thought they’d find it hard to make much headway. And so it proved.

So what could Klopp have done differently? Carvalho was an obvious selection but I thought we’d see one of the big hitters in the forward line with him. Any combination of Darwin, Bobby or Mo could have played 45 minutes apiece, which would have helped any kids out there alongside them. Curtis too. Where was he?

View full article

• Upvote 1

Top 'unoriginal cunts' trolling there, Dave.

Always want the team to win but cant pretend Im arsed about the EFL Cup. Always thought this was going to be hard for the young lads because Derby are effectively a Championship team as it was only the points deduction that caused the relegation. Not sure how many of that Championship team played last night or are still at the club but, I think they're at or near the top of League One?

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, piphomer said:

Didn't we steal borrow the Firmino chant from some South American club?

Importing from abroad is perfectly fine and should in fact be encouraged. Copying from other English clubs is about as low as it gets and should result in relegation and then if it persists, a winding up order.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, dave u said:

Importing from abroad is perfectly fine and should in fact be encouraged. Copying from other English clubs is about as low as it gets and should result in relegation and then if it persists, a winding up order.

Exactly, stealing from a European/ South American team shows incredible sophistication and ingenuity whereas stealing from an English team shows you basically have no soul and don’t deserve to live.

• Upvote 3

Derby aren’t doing very well, but I’m pretty sure all the players from last year are gone.

I attended their game vs Fulham home last  year. They were losing 1-0 and ended up winning 2-1 in a terrific atmosphere even though they were bottom of the league.  It’s sad their away support was so bad then.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I mean, to be fair, while I’m happy for you to have him as your boy Dave, I speculated on the pod earlier in the season whether he’d be worth a look in the first team and you said, “He’s 16!!!”  

Because you speculated whether he was a potential answer to our problems in the league!

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

Derby aren’t doing very well, but I’m pretty sure all the players from last year are gone.

I attended their game vs Fulham home last  year. They were losing 1-0 and ended up winning 2-1 in a terrific atmosphere even though they were bottom of the league.  It’s sad their away support was so bad then.

Lower league away support at big cup games is always bad as you get loads of big game beauts showing up.

6 hours ago, dave u said:

Because you speculated whether he was a potential answer to our problems in the league!

True, but after that little cameo would you be shocked if he got a substitute appearance at least? I mean obviously it would be contingent on big injury issues being sustained, but he’s definitely got the pace, directness and attacking internet to accelerate his path into the team. 

• dave u unpinned this topic