You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

21 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think it's fairly obvious whoever the new manager is will have a much colder relationship with the players. For good and bad.

Hopefully he encourages them to fight in the showers like Rafa did. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He’s brilliant at everything but finishing. Arguably the hardest work rate in the team. The finishing will eventually come but he’s a player who needs the right players around him. He can’t play with Gakpo IMO. 

his workrate is phenomenal

He’s too streaky. Went on a very decent run for us not long after he joined and then the World Cup came and he was anonymous afterwards.

Started well this season, then went on one awful run. Then another excellent run with loads of important goals and in recent weeks he’s been bad again. 

Obviously, that’s not sustainable in the long term unless he can improve upon it. 

I think people can say that he’s anywhere on a scale from ‘brilliant’ to ‘awful’ and give decent evidence of any view.

Doesn’t help him or us that Salah is somehow even worse at the moment and appears too injured to even shoot properly.

• Upvote 1

Love the guy, but his misses are staring to cost us, with a more clinical striker the last 2 results could have been very different the counter argument is that his goals and energy have got us to this point of the season and we would probably not be in this position without him. He needs a good finish to the season if we are going to win anything eles this season.

10 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I still cannot get my head around what he was actually trying to do with that chance yesterday. It was so far wide, I actually thought it took a deflection off the GK. 

Same here its was frankly a bizarre finish only matched by the one against the mancs a week earlier. Only explanation is that he tried to dink it and totally fucked it up, the best option was to round the keeper.

6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

In all honesty, he's not much better than djibril cisse... 

Pains me to say it, but he's been a bit of a flop 

Truly, I don't think he stinks. But like I said, the arguments for him are almost solely statistical. It's like, the numbers are good and oh some day he might score as many as he should as well.

But on eye test, he just isn't good. Cosplays as a big game player as well when he patently isn't one. Like, imagine all the crazy shit he'll pull against City or whatever and then the reality is he just runs around shooting from weird angles.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Truly, I don't think he stinks. But like I said, the arguments for him are almost solely statistical. It's like, the numbers are good and oh some day he might score as many as he should as well.

But on eye test, he just isn't good. Cosplays as a big game player as well when he patently isn't one. Like, imagine all the crazy shit he'll pull against City or whatever and then the reality is he just runs around shooting from weird angles.

But he's not good statistically. He's got good assist numbers, that's it. Having 100 shots is only decent if you score more than 10% of them.

His touch in tbe area was fucking awful last night. Gakpo played him in early and he just didn't have quick enough feet to get control and either beat his man or get the shot away. He's like a lightweight battering ram. Tells you everything his best moment last night was winning the ball back in their area for Mo's shot. He's 25 soon and his league scoring record is poor for a supposed top striker

2nd division Spain

Algeria 16 in 30

Benfica

6 in 29

28 in 26

Liverpool 

9 in 29

11 in 29

We bought him for a stupidly inflated fee after looking good against us. It's like buying someone like Kezman or Alfonso Alves after their seasons in Holland or Mario Jardel after he ripped up the Portuguese league. Outside of the top 3 its a piss poor league. 

6 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Huge season for him next time out. Has it all to do to impress the new manager. 

Last night when Jones played him clean through, it barely even registered how bad the finish was, I knew he wasn’t scoring that in a million years. 

Thought the same thing.

Poor finishing, in a one on one, by our £80m striker has been normalised.

I'm not keen on just throwing out he's shit etc at him because he's far from that. If you look at his goals and assists this season almost all of them are brilliant. He's just not a guy to lead the line for a top side as he's ridiculously inconsistent and lacks composure. 

57 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

But he's not good statistically. He's got good assist numbers, that's it. Having 100 shots is only decent if you score more than 10% of them.

On xG, he could have 32 goals in the league at Liverpool. That is something people will mention and it is worth mentioning. People who believe that getting the opportunities is what leads to goals will say he is unlucky or it will turn around for him.

I mostly agree with this, but a lot of people who say this as a strict rule often just don't apply what they see enough because they think this introduces bias. Which is true, but if you watch Nunez for as long as we have now, you can see he's not good technically, he's not the brightest and he's not dangerous enough in the biggest games. So there has to be a balance there.

But yes also to your point, he only has 20 goals in the league, and that makes his chance conversion truly horrendous, so that is a stat that is very much not in his favour.

He lacks that bit of football intelligence that makes good players great and is saddled with huge price tag and expectations. He will have his moments, but will never be the main man.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Do you know the bit that really bugs me. 

When he played against us for benfica, every fucking shot he hit was into the corner. 

I remember thinking, fuck me, this kid is something special. It was actually his finishing I was most impressed with. 

Yet now, for whatever reason, that ability has deserted him. 

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

When he played against us for benfica, every fucking shot he hit was into the corner. 

I remember thinking, fuck me, you'd kid is something special. It was actually good finishing I was most impressed with. 

Just play him off the left where Diaz plays and rotate those two. Both offer little threat to the goal but can at least run players ragged.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Just play him off the left where Diaz plays and rotate those two. Both offer little threat to the goal but can at least run players ragged.

I'm sick of this cut back winger shit as well though. 

It's the same move, take have figured out out. 

32 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I remember thinking, fuck me, this kid is something special. It was actually his finishing I was most impressed with. 

He'll start potting next season and lead us to 4th.