You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has lockdown fucked people up?

Section_31

8 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Rico's news that my kids won't need to save money to buy a house has cheered me up no end.

I'll ask about that at my local branch next week.

This changes everything.

What a time to be alive.

It’s like the dumb Olympics today.  Although if I’ve met your wife it’s possible she fancied a change from shagging a weary fucker. 

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s like the dumb Olympics today.  Although if I’ve met your wife it’s possible she fancied a change from shagging a weary fucker. 

So that's where all our money's gone for the kids' deposit on their house.

You're the gigolo?

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Happiness? I think it goes health, wealth and happiness. To the point we have been discussing, unless you are a self made millionaire we can assume you didn't have to save to buy a house or get in debt to go to school either.

I agree that the quality of life is improving globally - it is doing so as both the US and the UK's % of Global GDP is shrinking. Not sure you are correct about the levels of poverty decreasing in those two countries tbh.

In any case I wish her all the best.

Of course I had to save to buy a house and I did get into debt at uni.  That was before fees in the U.K. too which are about £10k a year now - that’ll probably be a lot more in 10 years.  One of the biggest barriers to home ownership in the U.K. is getting the deposit. So we’ll be able to help her with that. She’ll also inherit when we go.  

1 minute ago, s(k)aturation said:

So that's where all our money's gone for the kids' deposit on their house.

You're the gigolo?

The bit I can’t get my head around is you being unable to distinguish between me and you.  My daughter will have it better than I did.  The world is getting better for everyone. Can you hold these 2 thoughts in your head?  

sorry life is tough for you at the moment.  

I'm guessing there is a group of people who are benefitting enormously from this as well.

Whether by choice or circumstance.

New job or no job. Work from home. A chance to spend time with family, children. (Even if their only means of communication is grunts, rudimentary gestures, teeth-baring, etc.)

Judging by the help-wanted signs in my neck of the woods it seems a lot of people don't want to go back to minimum-wage drudgery. 

Inflation aside, it will be interesting to see what this does to the labour market going forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The bit I can’t get my head around is you being unable to distinguish between me and you.  My daughter will have it better than I did.  The world is getting better for everyone. Can you hold these 2 thoughts in your head?  

sorry life is tough for you at the moment.  

I'm not sure my kids will have it better than I did.

Yours will, that's fabulous.

Everyone's different... thank God - even though you stridently rally there ain't one and of course you're right.

Good luck to you and yours, mate.

Agreeing to disagree is one of the great Conservative freedoms, eh.

2 hours ago, neko said:

My opinion on the state of the average 18-20 year old college student can be backed up with some shocking statistics, as I'm responsible for admissions and managing our program.

Before pandemic the failure / dropout rate was around 10% (it's a tough program). This last year it was 23%.

Average marks for students dropped about 5% (that's a lot). You could tell that many of them were just not prepared at all. Not entirely their fault, of course.

It is/was an unfortunate blip, not a generational trend. Our students are usually like a well trained group of Marines. This year more like Russian conscripts.

Yeah. I have loads of (confidential) data on attendance and behaviour to corroborate what I’m saying. Ditto social care referrals. 

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Of course I had to save to buy a house and I did get into debt at uni.  That was before fees in the U.K. too which are about £10k a year now - that’ll probably be a lot more in 10 years.  One of the biggest barriers to home ownership in the U.K. is getting the deposit. So we’ll be able to help her with that. She’ll also inherit when we go.  

Not sure why you would put it like that - the vast majority of folks who are able to pass down a life changing inheritance received one as well.

Anywhoos, good on you and best to your daughter.

I do think it is a little simplistic to not acknowledge the knock on effect that Covid then Ukraine will have on the global economy and the costs that will be incurred to repair/replace supply chain efficiency, energy type/delivery as well as food production. That is before you deal with increased taxes needed to make up for lost ground. You use the term every metric - every metric points directly at a global recession which will certainly be a depression for a number of countries over the next 5-10 years. Probably not the Maldives though you are right.

In some cases i think it has, for instance my elderly Dad doesn't get out anymore. 

He was a regular in town up to about 8 years ago but then he stopped saying those days are over lad despite me saying I'll take you amd bring you back as they all ask about you which was sad. 

He then started going to a more local pub The Linacre, i think his Dad drank there years ago, but that closed so he started going to The Top House for some reason which was a bit grim but i thought at least he's getting out a few days a week, but since the lockdown he's only been out a few times and thats to the hospital appointments,we've tried to get him out just for a drive to say Crosby beach for some fresh air and a sit down and chat but no he's not having it, sad as fuck. 

So yes i would say it has affected some especially the elderly. 

• 4 months later...
On 22/04/2022 at 00:47, Rico1304 said:

Population isn’t predicted to continue to rise. It drops off a cliff in about 2050 as women across the world get autonomy. 

In the last 20 yrs we’ve seen a massive move away from fossil fuels and to renewables.  Chuck in nuclear to balance demand and we could self sufficient in a couple of decades at most. 

Medical science is continuing to lengthen life expectancy despite stupid cunts who won’t have a vaccine.  

The pandemic has been horrific and I’ve not been shy in calling the daft cunts who say it’s not but it’s not killed as many as a war. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It is everywhere for sure _ has been in the US big time for nearly 30 years - for I think understandable reasons that also factor globally (overpopulation and limited resources - both personal and natural -  to name but two), but not sure why it is being presented like it is now in the media.

Then really seems strange to somehow try to wrangle immigration as a positive into the discussion.

Ireland has been known for decades (heck centuries) as a place that people have emigrated from in large amounts for a number of good reasons.

Currently has a higher annual growth rate - with larger proportionate growth since the WW than the US -- or the UK.

The article about the average age of UK lowering due to immigration - what is the point there? Reads like there is going to be some massive people shortage.

• 3 weeks later...

A Chester restaurant owner has expressed concern over a rise in the number of people leaving without paying for services like meals out in Cheshire. Fabrizio Gobatto, who runs Da Noi and Augusto restaurants in Chester, was responding to the latest Home Office data which shows that there were 969 incidents of "making off without payment" in Cheshire in the year ending March 2022.

This is a rise of 26 per cent on the 768 incidents of people leaving without paying in shops, restaurants and petrol stations reported in Cheshire during the previous year. This type of theft involves a person knowing on the spot payment is expected for goods or services supplied but they dishonestly leave without paying.

On 22/04/2022 at 15:38, SasaS said:

Don't really get it, the generation that had to endure WWII went on to become your great generation in the popular imagination.

Generation that had to stay home a lot and watch a little bit more Netflix than usual, irretrievably fucked by the horrific experience.

Have you seen some of the tripe on Netflix? And people have to pay for it! Horrifying.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

A Chester restaurant owner has expressed concern over a rise in the number of people leaving without paying for services like meals out in Cheshire. Fabrizio Gobatto, who runs Da Noi and Augusto restaurants in Chester, was responding to the latest Home Office data which shows that there were 969 incidents of "making off without payment" in Cheshire in the year ending March 2022.

This is a rise of 26 per cent on the 768 incidents of people leaving without paying in shops, restaurants and petrol stations reported in Cheshire during the previous year. This type of theft involves a person knowing on the spot payment is expected for goods or services supplied but they dishonestly leave without paying.

People being scruffs is lockdowns fault? 

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Did they call it the 'incel quarter' or something?

Can't remember what it's called, the Guardian did a big feature on it a few years back. There's basically part of Tokyo where these lads have congregated who can't be arsed with birds and they just play games and tamogochis and what not. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A rise of 26% is pretty steep, we've seen feral behaviour at matches/gigs in the last couple of years too. 

I just think it is part of the overall breakdown of society. Crimes of all types are on the increase. Social media has a lot to answer for, but it's more likely all down to neo-liberal, money-grabbing cunts in charge everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A rise of 26% is pretty steep, we've seen feral behaviour at matches/gigs in the last couple of years too. 

I think the reality is far fewer folks were going out the previous year (March 2020-21). Restaurants certainly saw a steeper attendance decline then 26% during that time period.

4 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I just think it is part of the overall breakdown of society. Crimes of all types are on the increase. Social media has a lot to answer for, but it's more likely all down to neo-liberal, money-grabbing cunts in charge everywhere.

This for sure - seeing high profile individuals getting away with stuff you or I would go to prison for is not really a good deterrent either,