You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

16 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No doubt.

I just hope it isn't from us. 

I could barely care about the fee. The option is we buy nobody it seems to me. So if there's some weird magic in the spreadsheet that makes it say YES for Philips, I'd have him in there ahead of chamberlain and for next season maybe even replacing milner as he won't last forever. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I could barely care about the fee. The option is we buy nobody it seems to me. So if there's some weird magic in the spreadsheet that makes it say YES for Philips, I'd have him in there ahead of chamberlain and for next season maybe even replacing milner as he won't last forever. 

I care about the fee because we have a finite budget. Very finite.

We don't spend enough money generally to be paying English tax.

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think he is a decent player and it would probably work stylistically if we signed him, but there is no spreadsheet anywhere in any universe that says that you should pay 60m for Kalvin Phillips. You have to have some idea of value.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Then next summer we can bin Adrian, Origi, Minamino and Keita.

We can't be spending £60m on players to fill a quota. 

I don't think he's worth that, but the same spreadsheet made chamberlain with a year left worth 35m and keita worth 50 odd mil. So I don't know how the spreadsheet does it's maths, but if it says yes, I really don't care. We'd have a better squad with Phillips than without even if he would be unlikely to be in the first XI for the biggest games. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think he's worth that, but the same spreadsheet made chamberlain with a year left worth 35m and keita worth 50 odd mil. So I don't know how the spreadsheet does it's maths, but if it says yes, I really don't care. We'd have a better squad with Phillips than without even if he would be unlikely to be in the first XI for the biggest games. 

Have we got the latest version downloaded?

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Backup right back will be interesting with I assume this being Milner's last season. Neco to his credit is bouncing back a bit but I'm not sure he's a good right back. Dunno if we'll have to sign someone or there's another solution. 

We'll probably back Williams to kick on with more game time, but Max Aarons would be a good signing. He'll be going cheap when Norwich go down and it'll be his fourth full season of football - which is class for a 21-year-old. Team of the year in the Championship twice. Formerly wanted by Bayern Munich. It makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

We'll probably back Williams to kick on with more game time, but Max Aarons would be a good signing. He'll be going cheap when Norwich go down and it'll be his fourth full season of football - which is class for a 21-year-old. Team of the year in the Championship twice. Formerly wanted by Bayern Munich. It makes sense. 

I saw that Mazraoui at Ajax's deal ends next summer. He's good and he's played well in midfield too. Drawback being that he's another AFCON guy.

The problem with someone like Aarons is he's simply not gonna play much because he has only one position. Unless he's cool with being a backup. Thankfully, Tsimikas who is in the same spot at left back just seems happy being here and playing once or twice per month.