You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

Mad looking back through this thread when there was no LIV and everyone played the same tour. Simpler, happier times.

Can't believe my boy Cam Smith is taking the easy money. The rat muzzy and the mullet should have been a massive red flag. Can't believe I missed it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you might have seen on instagram but I played Sunningdale again last week as a guest at the Tag Heuer / Tommy Fleetwood golf day, because I do the golf reviews for T3.

I didn't play well at all, kept missing everything right. The course is unreal though. Every hole is just stunning, I probably took more photos than I had shots, and I had a lot of shots.

Embarrassed myself in a putting contest with Fleetwood and Nick Dougherty afterwards (see video below) but did manage to have a little chat with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter) afterwards. Told him how much my daughter loves him and he asked for my phone and recorded a video message for her. Absolute top fella him. 

Adrianna was crying her eyes out when she got the message and said it was the best day of her life, so it got me some serious dad points. 

Here's a few photos and videos.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've noticed clubs for lefties on ebay are well cheaper because it's a smaller pool of people buying them. I bought a left handed putter a while back because I figured I'd tried everything else and was till shit, so it was worth a go. It didn't work.

I played Birkdale today. Wilson Staff had a media event spanning two days and I got an invite because of my T3 stuff. Spent yesterday at Formby Hall getting fitted for their new driver, stayed over and then first thing this morning we went to Birkdale for 18 holes. 

It was windy as fuck and pissing down when we started but the rain went off after the first hole so it was sound. I shot 97, which ordinarily I'd be mortified by if it was on the courses I usually play, but I came off thinking I'd played pretty well today and it was just incredibly tough. There's loads of rough and when the crosswind is that strong you've got no chance really.

Birdied the 9th though which was nice.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, dave u said:

I've noticed clubs for lefties on ebay are well cheaper because it's a smaller pool of people buying them. I bought a left handed putter a while back because I figured I'd tried everything else and was till shit, so it was worth a go. It didn't work.

Second hand you can get decent enough offers out there. Like I said I got a kids half set for £50 and half decent shape. 

Our kid who is a gammy handed cunt too ended up spending an extra £200 on top of fucking stupid money for a set of custom fitted mizuno blades. 

He’s a far better golfer than me but no where near good enough to be playing with the blades his is the fucking twat. 

• Upvote 1

Our golf weekend in October was a laugh. 

I fucking hate the 13th, it’s a par 5, 500 yard plus, slight dog leg that plays all up hill with a fucking massive oak tree in the middle of the fairway at about 190. 

That oak tree fucks me every time normally.

I think the best drive I’ve hit in my life hit it square in the face and bounced almost back to the tee. 

I either hit it, get stuck behind or hit a shit tee shot as it’s all I think about. 

But last time I hit the best two shots of my round to be just off the green. I hit driver further left and opened the approach and absolutely fucking creamed a 3 wood to just off the green. 

As soon as I’ve a wedge in my hand I’m crap so was made up to end up a bit closer than I’d started with my third. 

The putt was pacey to say the least but hit dead centre of the hole. 

Let’s not mention the rest of the round…

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

He’s a far better golfer than me but no where near good enough to be playing with the blades his is the fucking twat. 

Yeah I love blades. They look stunning. Mizuno ones especially, so I can understand why he did it. The Wilson Staff blades look great too. I'm nowhere near good enough to use them though, I wish I was but I'm not, so it's game improvement irons for me unfortunately.

My fourball today consisted of a pro, a long drive pro (who plays off scratch), a lad who plays off one, and me with my 12 handicap! We only managed two birdies between us all day, and I got one of them.

The long drive lad was incredible to watch when he got one straight. I watched him on the range yesterday hitting pitching wedges about 165. That's a 7 wood for me! I think my jaw was on the floor when I was watching him, it was unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Can't add anything other than I played golf once on a work thing. I came last and this includes one bloke who had one and a half arms and two obese birds who'd never played before. At one point one lad was laughing about me taking the piss. I wasn't 

It's really fucking hard. Most people who've never played before won't even be able to make any contact with the ball.

13 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Our golf weekend in October was a laugh. 

I fucking hate the 13th, it’s a par 5, 500 yard plus, slight dog leg that plays all up hill with a fucking massive oak tree in the middle of the fairway at about 190. 

That oak tree fucks me every time normally.

I think the best drive I’ve hit in my life hit it square in the face and bounced almost back to the tee. 

I either hit it, get stuck behind or hit a shit tee shot as it’s all I think about. 

But last time I hit the best two shots of my round to be just off the green. I hit driver further left and opened the approach and absolutely fucking creamed a 3 wood to just off the green. 

As soon as I’ve a wedge in my hand I’m crap so was made up to end up a bit closer than I’d started with my third. 

The putt was pacey to say the least but hit dead centre of the hole. 

Let’s not mention the rest of the round…

I'm the opposite. I hit the long clubs like a chicken with Parkinsons and the short ones pretty ok. The problem is that I've taken 5 or 6 before I get the chance to use a shorter club.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm the opposite. I hit the long clubs like a chicken with Parkinsons and the short ones pretty ok. The problem is that I've taken 5 or 6 before I get the chance to use a shorter club.

6-9 iron is my strength. But my touch and feel with wedges in and near the green is fucking atrocious. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dave u said:

Bought a 7 wood recently and it's boss. 

I wrote this about it. Any clicks would be appreciated.

https://www.t3.com/features/why-you-need-a-7-wood

Have you been measured by a pro Dave or just use irons off the shelve? 

I started playing a couple of years ago and have got a lot better off the irons I was given by a mate but they do feel a bit short. One mate I play with who’s a similar standard to me (playing off 14) got measured last year and his game has gone to shite. 

My other mate who’s good and plays off 8 got his from off the rack if you like and  reckons I’d probably get a better deal doing that. 

Anyone any thoughts? 

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Bought a 7 wood recently and it's boss. 

I wrote this about it. Any clicks would be appreciated.

https://www.t3.com/features/why-you-need-a-7-wood

I've had one for yonks. I original bought it because my old Taylor Made Rescue was shit out of the long stuff but great from the fairway. The 7 wood is a decent club. I'd argue most recreational players should ditch their 3 wood and carry 5 and 7 woods. Ditch 3 and/or 4 iron too.

22 hours ago, Bernard Diomede said:

Have you been measured by a pro Dave or just use irons off the shelve? 

I started playing a couple of years ago and have got a lot better off the irons I was given by a mate but they do feel a bit short. One mate I play with who’s a similar standard to me (playing off 14) got measured last year and his game has gone to shite. 

My other mate who’s good and plays off 8 got his from off the rack if you like and  reckons I’d probably get a better deal doing that. 

Anyone any thoughts? 

I was fitted for my irons but the standard lie and loft was fine for me. Are you exceptionally tall? Otherwise they won't be too short for you and you should be able to just buy off the rack (or second hand on ebay etc).

You should definitely get fitted for a driver though. It's not so important with other clubs but driver is different. I was fitted in American Golf a few years ago, but that was really basic and I don't think I really got anything out of it.

A couple of weeks ago I got an invite to Wilson Staff's media day and part of it was that their professional fitters (lads who deal with the tour pros) would give all of us a proper fitting with Wilson's new driver. Turns out that the shaft I was using (and thought was the right one for me) was not helping me at all. They swapped it for a different one which was lower spinning and lower launch, and the difference was immediately noticeable.

So it's worth paying to get fitted for a driver. You only need to do it once because when you know what shaft you need you can just get that put into any driver you might buy in future.