You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, clangers said:

I assume this relative lull in the Russian invasion is for them to put in place overwhelming force for the final push? It's going to be truly horrific broadcast live across the internet.

They've probably ran out of fuel, they're thick as fuck.

Said before but it's gutting that nukes exist because the yanks would absolutely puvlerize these clowns.

1 hour ago, cochyn said:

Can't see it myself mate. That would be an escalation waaaay beyond his ability to control. It's control he's after - and return to a bygone state of affairs that the rest of the world has long moved on from. Reinventing Russia in a soviet image relies on maintaining a strong Russia at its core. Going nuclear would green light the rest of the world closing in on them and tearing Russia apart from all directions. There'd be plenty of takers, not least the numerous regions far from Moscow who'd gladly see the back of Putin and set up their own republics.    

There's an interesting documentary on Youtube, yes I know, from a TV programme where a former Russian and NATO general discuss the outcome of a war between NATO and Russia. All things being even and with both sides being able to arrange their forces in advance then the US primarily would win pretty easily. It would start off being pretty equal however the US has an unrivalled capability for logistics and they could also swap out front line forces without any degradation of combat power. They used the example of air power whereby the US would just be able to rotate pilots and equipment due to maintenance and losses with little deterioration in fighting ability.

Two problems that were stated was that it would take NATO months to assemble an appropriately large force so Russia may well not hang around waiting and that any war-game they evaluated rapidly led to a nuclear escalation.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They've probably ran out of fuel, they're thick as fuck.

Said before but it's gutting that nukes exist because the yanks would absolutely puvlerize these clowns.

Looks a bit worrying for Ukraine at the minute though, even the media propaganda has gone a bit quiet 

19 minutes ago, clangers said:

Two problems that were stated was that it would take NATO months to assemble an appropriately large force so Russia may well not hang around waiting and that any war-game they evaluated rapidly led to a nuclear escalation.

This. Many seem to forget Russia had a standing army of hundreds of thousands with equipment effectively in Eastern Europe now. NATO has some US personnel and equipment stationed here plus the UK and France. No disrespect to other European countries but many of them are probably not fit to fight.

In a recent NATO naval exercise, the Belgium navy had its one participating ship ejected from the exercise because the crew wasnt up to speed with the demands placed on them.

Half of our Type 45's have mechanical issues. That's out of a total of 6 in commission. Diamond is meeting up with HMS Trent in the Eastern Med. Trent is a fucking 'offshore patrol vessel' with a tiny gun on her bow. Im sure her crew will be valiant but in any fight, she'll  effectively be like chucking rocks at a tank!

As Ive stated before, Germany's air force is dilapidated. They're still using Tornados as front line fighter planse whereas we've pensioned them off. We have about 250 tanks. In the whole of the UK army.

The big issue for NATO will be getting US logistics 'over here' quickly if it all turns to shit.

51 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He's really screwed the pooch on this Putin hasn't he, I haven't seen anyone misjudge something this badly since I cracked that disability joke at the BBC recruitment fair.

Saw a great comment earlier:

He spent decades trying to undermine the western liberal order with spectacular success.

And undid it all in less than a week.

Self own of epic proportions.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This. Many seem to forget Russia had a standing army of hundreds of thousands with equipment effectively in Eastern Europe now. NATO has some US personnel and equipment stationed here plus the UK and France. No disrespect to other European countries but many of them are probably not fit to fight.

In a recent NATO naval exercise, the Belgium navy had one of it's ships ejected from the exercise because the crew wasnt up to speed with the demands placed on them.

Half of our Type 45's have mechanical issues. That's out of a total of 6 in commission. Diamond is meeting up with HMS Trent in the Eastern Med. Trent is a fucking 'offshore patrol vessel' with a tiny gun on her bow. Im sure her crew will be valiant but in any fight, she'll  effectively be like chucking rocks at a tank!

As Ive stated before, Germany's air force is dilapidated. They're still using Tornados as front line fighter planse whereas we've pensioned them off. We have about 250 tanks. In the whole of the UK army.

The big issue for NATO will be getting US logistics 'over here' quickly if it all turns to shit.

Yeah very true, I'm genuinely surprised we have still have six destroyers. 

Another thing they pointed out in the documentary is that the majority of the US re-enforcement would have travel by sea across the Atlantic and a significant percentage would be sunk trying.

4 minutes ago, Em City said:

Saw a great comment earlier:

He spent decades trying to undermine the western liberal order with spectacular success.

And undid it all in less than a week.

Self own of epic proportions.

Yep, he's literally rebuilt 'the West' in a week. What a dumb shit.

4 minutes ago, clangers said:

Another thing they pointed out in the documentary is that the majority of the US re-enforcement would have travel by sea across the Atlantic and a significant percentage would be sunk trying.

We've no destroyer build plan on the horizon. The new Glasgow, the first of the new Type 26 frigates is still on hard standing at the Clyde shipbuilders. She wont be in service for at least 2 years and the build plan is 4 or 5 years for each successor T26.

Richmond sailed on deployment a day or so ago. Im guessing she's headed to the North Sea or Baltic but who knows?

1 hour ago, clangers said:

Really? By what?

Just about every Russian sub will be being tailed by this point and the US carrier groups would achieve air superiority pretty quickly. If it did escalate and NATO got involved, the Russian airforce would be decimated and those long supply columns would be a wet dream for A10 and Apache pilots.

(Although admittedly the Russians have a super long range air to air missile that will be a pain in the ass)

2 hours ago, clangers said:

There's an interesting documentary on Youtube, yes I know, from a TV programme where a former Russian and NATO general discuss the outcome of a war between NATO and Russia. All things being even and with both sides being able to arrange their forces in advance then the US primarily would win pretty easily. It would start off being pretty equal however the US has an unrivalled capability for logistics and they could also swap out front line forces without any degradation of combat power. They used the example of air power whereby the US would just be able to rotate pilots and equipment due to maintenance and losses with little deterioration in fighting ability.

I'll hold my hands up and say I havent got a clue about military strategy but what I don't get is that all this talk about the power of the American war machine yet they got their arses spanked in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Though obviously Russia would be a completely different type of warfare.

There was some ex mod fella on r4 before and he was saying whatever happens putin is a goner. 

Which may not be great news if he sees it like that.

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Word for word, politicians make silly gaffes every time they are interviewed.  But it's obviously deeply thrilling for some to highlight the failings of a fat, lispy woman of colour, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  

James o brien did a great piece in here a while ago.

Amazing to see these kinds of scenes. Chilling to imagine what will happen to these people if & when Russia wins this war. 

"Occupants!" "Go home, you fascists!" "We're unarmed! Are you going to shoot a bunch of peaceful, unarmed people?" "GO HOME! GO HOME!" "This is not Russia, you f*ckers!"

Safe to say that the Russians are not getting the "Ukrainians will welcome us as liberators" response they predicted. These are all Russian speakers, by the way, not Ukrainian speakers.

23 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Neo nazi groups have been operating in Ukraine long before this conflict with Russia, its irresponsible to pretend it isn't there. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/28/ukrainian-fighters-grease-bullets-against-chechens-with-pig-fat

You obviously missed the footage of Neo nazi groups in Keiv training civilians, nice lads, 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

https://www.euronews.com/2022/02/13/ukraine-far-right-group-offers-training-to-civilians

He literally said "of course there are Nazis in Ukraine".

How do you interpret that as pretending there aren't any?

• Like 1

There's neo-nazi groups pretty much everywhere in Europe. Some obviously more overt than others. Not that this has been said so much on here (but I have read it elsewhere) that doesn't give carte-blanche for anyone to invade. I'm a bit baffled by any support of Russia, or any whataboutery here to be honest. I have some understanding of their concerns, but they've invaded a sovereign nation. If it was wrong when the Americans do it in Iraq or wherever else, if it's wrong when the British did it with any number of nations in the past, if it's wrong to see Palestinians occupied by a foreign force, then it sure as fuck is wrong for the Russians to be doing this. Actually, I'm not even blaming the Russians here, this is all on Putin. The cunt.

12 hours ago, bossy said:

Putin invaded when Ukraine posed no immediate threat to Russia.

That's the bottom line, right there. 

There are other conversations to be had about the expansion of NATO, about "our" aggression in other wars, about the racist hypocrisy in the way European countries view refugees, about Russia's ongoing information war, about how deeply Putin-friendly money has permeated our ruling classes (even after the annexation of Crimea), etc.

But that one sentence above really is the top and bottom of it.

• Upvote 1