You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Has anyone on here watched Doku properly, I'm only reading others opinions saying he's got a headless chicken vibe, all the physical athletic attributes in the world but no real end product. Sounds like Origi, now if its a small fee you take that chance on potential but I'm seeing 50 million quid mentioned that's a massive chunk of budget for Origi mark 2. Are people wrong is there so much more to him than that, is that figure mentioned still over priced, is the budget if it exists better used elsewhere.

I can't see us signing Doku for the reasons mentioned by @3 Stacks earlier.  Too unproven for the cost.

Our current strategy seems to be players in their early to mid twenties where there is enough evidence to trust the scouts and stats, or the most promising 16-17 year olds we can poach from other teams.

Obviously a few outliers like Thiago.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think elliot maybe given that slot. 

Still think we need a forward that plays through the middle. A firmino succession plan. I dont think thats jota.

Unless there's anything in the Jonathan David from a week or so back I think it'll be another wide player who can fill in centrally, the inverted forwards are the goalscoring positions in the current set up more than the central spot.

Last summer there was talk of seeing 4-2-3-1 in some games but other things happened to prevent that so kicking Salah into the central position with mane and Jota either side of Firminho in the 10, or Salah/Jota in the false 9 for the more traditional 4-3-3 are probably all still options.

31 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I can't see us signing Doku for the reasons mentioned by @3 Stacks earlier.  Too unproven for the cost.

Our current strategy seems to be players in their early to mid twenties where there is enough evidence to trust the scouts and stats, or the most promising 16-17 year olds we can poach from other teams.

Obviously a few outliers like Thiago.

I get where you’re coming from. It does seem like given we’ve already had him over to Liverpool to chat to Klopp, Wijnaldum, Gerrard & Mane, that he’s a player we really, really like. 

Also, if Rennes are asking for £40m now, if he moves clubs again, then he’s probably out of our price range.

He won’t be thrown in the deep end straight away. I’d assume he’ll be on the bench, gathering minutes here and there to be ready for when Mane is away in January. 

Anyways, I’m not sure where all the Sanches talk came from last night. I thought he looked quality in the Euros. However, if it’s a choice between a midfielder or an attacker, I think an attacker. I’d rather have 3 proper forwards on the field than sticking Ox or somebody wide, where they blatantly aren’t suited to play. If things get desperate, we can play 4-2-4.

56 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Comin along quite nicely so far, although I think I may have grossly underestimated the quantity of Echo save us millions articles and Anubis is letting the side down with the January transfer thread. 

On the money there. Paste and repeat every year at this rate.

If we go into the season without adding anymore to the squad well I'm sorry its juts repeat negligence of last year. Id rather have Shaqiri to fall back on than nobody. Not to mention theres Afcon, whether two game or not thats 6 points on the table at stake in what is usually a difficult month for us.

Bare Minimum FC indeed.

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I get where you’re coming from. It does seem like given we’ve already had him over to Liverpool to chat to Klopp, Wijnaldum, Gerrard & Mane, that he’s a player we really, really like. 

Also, if Rennes are asking for £40m now, if he moves clubs again, then he’s probably out of our price range.

He won’t be thrown in the deep end straight away. I’d assume he’ll be on the bench, gathering minutes here and there to be ready for when Mane is away in January. 

Anyways, I’m not sure where all the Sanches talk came from last night. I thought he looked quality in the Euros. However, if it’s a choice between a midfielder or an attacker, I think an attacker. I’d rather have 3 proper forwards on the field than sticking Ox or somebody wide, where they blatantly aren’t suited to play. If things get desperate, we can play 4-2-4.

Yeah but we had him over when he was 15, at the poaching youngster on the cheap stage. 

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah but we had him over when he was 15, at the poaching youngster on the cheap stage. 

Signing him then literally could have saved us millions. 

It’ll be funny if we do sign him and The Echo are forced to write an article stating how “How Jeremy Doku ended up costing Liverpool extra millions”.

Midfielder over attacker for me please Jurgen.

I'd rather Elliott be the Shaqiri replacement in a front three than just go for a rough youngster who'll potentially block his route into the first team. If we're adding a forward, ideally it'd be someone who, you know, scores goals. 

Midfield looks stacked on paper, but the sheer number of minutes Wijnaldum covered makes me nervous going into the season as is. It'd be nice to find another Milner - not a star, but a 7/10 performer who's consistent, able to cover elsewhere if necessary and, more importantly, isn't made of biscuits.

9 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Midfielder over attacker for me please Jurgen.

I'd rather Elliott be the Shaqiri replacement in a front three than just go for a rough youngster who'll potentially block his route into the first team. If we're adding a forward, ideally it'd be someone who, you know, scores goals. 

Midfield looks stacked on paper, but the sheer number of minutes Wijnaldum covered makes me nervous going into the season as is. It'd be nice to find another Milner - not a star, but a 7/10 performer who's consistent, able to cover elsewhere if necessary and, more importantly, isn't made of biscuits.

Yeah, with due reverence to Milner, who really has been an outstanding servant for us, our putative midfield depth looks a lot less impressive when you consider the combined game-time he, Ox and my favourite ever Liverpool player will notch up for us. Harvey and Curtis are superb talents, but with their lack of experience and the other three’s age/persistent injuries, it’s an accident waiting to happen.

Origi needs to be sold next. I’d be happy with 1 attacker replacing him and Shaq.

CM I think Klopp is after a specific target like Neuhaus and if he’s happy to wait and roll the dice on our midfield that’s his prerogative but we saw how badly that went in a similar scenario at CB last season.

Last season was an exceptional case though, go through the history of the premier league and how many times has any team lost there top 3 players in a given position. 

It's managed to convince people we need to carry three players for each position and every signing is judged on their potential to get injured.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We need to move away from the fact that every game we are on tenterhooks praying for our players not to get injured. Add some depth and that becomes less of an issue.

Injuries are part of the game. We were significantly effected last season. 

We’ll really have had to walk under a number of ladders or broken several mirrors to it to be anything like that again.

However, I bet when there is an injury, you’ll be the first one cry arsing about it - we should have signed more players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Injuries are part of the game. We were significantly effected last season. 

We’ll really have had to walk under a number of ladders or broken several mirrors to it to be anything like that again.

However, I bet when there is an injury, you’ll be the first one cry arsing about it - we should have signed more players. 

Your posts start of so well and then you let yourself down by being a complete berk at the end of them. You just can't help yourself.

Note to Jurgen: Scott said don't walk under any ladders. Ta.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Your posts start of so well and then you let yourself down by being a complete berk at the end of them. You just can't help yourself.

Note to Jurgen: Scott said don't walk under any ladders. Ta.

You know I like to look at facts or use past performance to predict future performance.

Ok, you’ll be second. Daisy will be first. 

He's a 'tricky winger' not really a centre forward, I'd agree with others that he doesn't fit the profile we usually look for in a wide player because of the goal output. Question is whether, as 5th choice/rotational option to begin with, they see enough in him to be able to coach that side of the game.

Lazy comparison but he probably compares with Mane at a similar age (although more well known and more highly rated).

I looked up Doku on fbref yesterday and one thing that really stood out was his pressing and ball winning. Makes loads of pressures and wins the ball back at a really high rate. Going forward he creates more than he scores, a lot more.

He wouldn't be a direct replacement for a Salah / Mane / Jota type without significant improvement in the amount of of shots he takes and the areas he takes them from. Looks like he'd be much better in a more conventional system where he's just expected to win the ball back, commit defenders and get the ball to a striker.