You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

Referees are human and subject to the same feelings and mistakes as the rest of us, but when you are being paid, apparently, £100k p.a. plus to know your job and carry it out efficiently and impartially, you are doing so to be able to separate the feelings and cut out the mistakes and if you can’t then, like any of us, you shouldn’t be doing the job or you should be sacked. The problem now is that nobody has a viable alternative to the current clutch of officials who are pretty much self regulating and self serving, if Dean’s comments are to be taken as read.

There’ll always be the whiff of corruption where big money or influence is present, it’s a grubby part of human nature to be greedy and want more, but it’s still there nevertheless, so how could any set of officials be trusted to be independent and non-partisan? The governing bodies are similarly untrusted given their performances over recent years so can’t be relied upon to appoint arbitrators of the game who are straight.

In essence, the game is fucked, unless you are mega-rich and even then, the biggest dick wins.

2 hours ago, Torvald Utne said:

https://archive.ph/5EUkS

Dear Saudi overlords, may I be the first to float the name "Anthony Taylor"

Having just read that the first thing that springs to mind is corruption. If they (PIF) are paying referees £1m (estimate) then referees will want a piece of that. Best not upset Newcastle (PIF) if you want a slice of that cake.

I've never seen anything like that. Absolute corruption from start to finish. 

It feels like SKY needed Spurs to win either after a City loss or to create this "4 teams can win the league" thing as we approach another international week. I don't know but one thing I'm sure of is that two decisions I that game were beyond corrupt. The Jones sending off (the way they showed the ref the angle right off then the fast replays) and the Diaz offside. 

I agree with Drogba, it's a disgrace. 

Corrupt cunts. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t care about the red cards because they’ll have enough to justify themselves.

But the disallowed goal. The  eye only VAR check when he’s clearly on. The refusal to draw the lines. Especially the last bit - you can only draw the conclusion that the denial of that goal was absolutely deliberate.

• Upvote 5

Been watching football for over 50 years and every weekend these useless fucking officials somehow manage to drag our beautiful game to ever lower levels of absurdity, thanks to their astounding incompetence.

Not today. In all my years I cannot remember a single more corrupt display than that we've just witnessed.

Corruption. Cheating. It needs to be called out, it needs to be eradicated, and these cheating cunts need to be sacked and jailed.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I don’t care about the red cards because they’ll have enough to justify themselves.

But the disallowed goal. The  eye only VAR check when he’s clearly on. The refusal to draw the lines. Especially the last bit - you can only draw the conclusion that the denial of that goal was absolutely deliberate.

This. They have no excuse whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Been watching football for over 50 years and every weekend these useless fucking officials somehow manage to drag our beautiful game to ever lower levels of absurdity, thanks to their astounding incompetence.

Not today. In all my years I cannot remember a single more corrupt display than that we've just witnessed.

Corruption. Cheating. It needs to be called out, it needs to be eradicated, and these cheating cunts need to be sacked and jailed.

I think I'd agree but Brighton/Mitoma disallowed goals towards the end of last season were at a similar level. It was corrupt. Brighton were robbed that day and I was genuinely fuming because football is being destroyed.

Come to think of it wasn't that against Spurs too?

7 minutes ago, Jennings said:

A VAR official openly admits making wrong decisions to protect a colleague. Then the debacle today - and its not an isolated incident.

PGMOL can't be trusted anymore.

It is completely unacceptable. Webb has to resign. 

It's all part of the gravy train though innit?

There needs to be a groundswell amongst people in the media with influence but it won't happen, all too busy being part of the entertainment and picking up their pay cheque.  Do any of them truly care about football? I don't think I could name one that I could believe does.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's all part of the gravy train though innit?

There needs to be a groundswell amongst people in the media with influence but it won't happen, all too busy being part of the entertainment and picking up their pay cheque.  Do any of them truly care about football? I don't think I could name one that I could believe does.

Wish I could rep that some more.

Coincidence that Howard Webb is back and we are suddenly getting bum fucked by refs almost every premier league game now?

That was the most fucked up displays of officiating I've seen in a long time. It was so biased against us. They've had it in for us since those things were said last year. 

Hours later and I'm still fuming. We were so so good today and got absolutely robbed. That was some performance by our team, 11v11 we would have wiped the floor with them, we made them look shit. Just gutted the cunts refs took it away from us.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

So now the story is the dickheads in Stockley park thought the goal had been given. A weak fuckin excuse and doesn’t excuse the complete shitshow by the ref which spoiled a potential classic match. The thing is you just know it will happen again to another side . Webb is a useless fucker too. Just seen the pic which disproves the story they put out , lying cunts.

4 hours ago, CapeRed said:

So now the story is the dickheads in Stockley park thought the goal had been given. A weak fuckin excuse and doesn’t excuse the complete shitshow by the ref which spoiled a potential classic match. The thing is you just know it will happen again to another side . Webb is a useless fucker too. Just seen the pic which disproves the story they put out , lying cunts.

Why didn't they address it immediately. Instead just go "oh he misunderstood, oh well let's just leave it as it is"  it's a completely corrupt decision not a mistake, mistakes can be remedied as that could of been just by speaking to the ref in his ear piece. It could be the most one sided refereeing performance I've ever seen.