You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Let's go.

I’ll have that stuck in my head for days now you bastard. 

Though I’ve had Splish Splash by Bobby Darin stuck in my head all week since my wife inexplicably started singing it so at least that’s gone. 

3 Midlands counties over here in Ireland have gone back into lock down. Massive , well massive for our country, clusters involving meat processing plants and some un verified reports of workers using over the counter medicines to keep temperatures down to avoid being detected. Over half of new cases in the last 2 weeks in the country came out of these 3 places which are situated next to each other.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

It also says nothing about local spikes.

Hey-ho.

It helps if you read it.

It is essential to adjust for the number of tests being done. Leicester and Oldham have seen significant increases in testing in a short time. Leicester, for example in the first two weeks of July did more tests than anywhere else in England: 15,122 tests completed in the two weeks up to 13th July.

The potential for false-positives (those people without the disease who test positive) to drive the increase in community (Pillar 2) cases is substantial, particularly because the accuracy of the test and the detection of viable viruses within a community setting is unclear.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

It helps if you read it.

It is essential to adjust for the number of tests being done. Leicester and Oldham have seen significant increases in testing in a short time. Leicester, for example in the first two weeks of July did more tests than anywhere else in England: 15,122 tests completed in the two weeks up to 13th July.

The potential for false-positives (those people without the disease who test positive) to drive the increase in community (Pillar 2) cases is substantial, particularly because the accuracy of the test and the detection of viable viruses within a community setting is unclear.

Maybe you should read it. God you are one insufferable twat in this thread. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mudface said:

Good stuff over the last couple of days, and now this, which is still preliminary but hopefully the reduction is down to better treatment now doctors know more about the disease-

For me news like this is the most significant of getting out of the crisis. Even without a vaccine if we can treat this disease adequately, we can start getting on with our lives and get people back working. Without sounding like a Tory cunt, we really do need people to get back to work and if we can't control the disease passing from people to people, if we can control it with drugs it's a massive leap forward. If you couple this with the previous discovery (I can't remember the name of the drug) but it significantly reduces the number of people who go from hospital treatment to ICU it feels we're making significant leaps in the severe end of this disease. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

It helps if you read it.

Leicester went into lockdown on the 29th of June following a spike, of course they subsequently did more testing.

It helps if you not only read it, but comprehend it. Spikes aren't happening because of more testing, it's exactly the other way round.

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

For me news like this is the most significant of getting out of the crisis. Even without a vaccine if we can treat this disease adequately, we can start getting on with our lives and get people back working. Without sounding like a Tory cunt, we really do need people to get back to work and if we can't control the disease passing from people to people, if we can control it with drugs it's a massive leap forward. If you couple this with the previous discovery (I can't remember the name of the drug) but it significantly reduces the number of people who go from hospital treatment to ICU it feels we're making significant leaps in the severe end of this disease. 

Dexamethasone? That was a brilliant find, something that actually made a difference and is cheap and readily available. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Who isn't back to work? I'm not being funny, it's a genuine question. If it's people being furloughed then the government have to tackle that at a corporate level. 

Just after lockdown I (for work, obviously) spent £16,000 on a local radio ad campaign - a few days later the account manager and ad writer got furloughed. Surely it can't have been for money they'd just been given £16k and work to do. 

11 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Who isn't back to work?

It's a good point. Most everyone I know has been working remotely but I think that is not what the inference is.

The - get people back to work may never really happen as such, as there are going to be industries that are reshaped entirely by this.

As @Dougie Do'inswas saying - the number of people providing office cleaning or daytime catering for instance will probably never come back to the levels they were. Hospitality in general will take years to come back, and will never be the same for it. Retail was halfway through a re-think before the virus and now will be completely dismantled.

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Who isn't back to work? I'm not being funny, it's a genuine question. If it's people being furloughed then the government have to tackle that at a corporate level. 

Just after lockdown I (for work, obviously) spent £16,000 on a local radio ad campaign - a few days later the account manager and ad writer got furloughed. Surely it can't have been for money they'd just been given £16k and work to do. 

Tons of people are in all kinds of industries. I wouldn't know where to start there's that many people furloughed. And just as importantly WFH, which has a knock on impact in many industries to hospitality. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Maybe you should read it. God you are one insufferable twat in this thread. 

I'm thinking he's the equivalent in this thread of Tony Clifton where in other threads he's Andy Kaufman. 

13 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Tons of people are in all kinds of industries. I wouldn't know where to start there's that many people furloughed. And just as importantly WFH, which has a knock on impact in many industries to hospitality. 

It just seems weird to make people work in offices to keep butty shops open. The British economy is flaky as fuck.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

We’ve gone over all this in the other thread but I think you’re in for a shock if you think the majority of people wfh are going in any time soon. 

What are the benefits for employers to get staff who are working from home back now? Don’t think they’ll be arsed much about the local economy and I’ll bet a shitload of them are looking at downgrading the office space they need. 

32 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It just seems weird to make people work in offices to keep butty shops open. The British economy is flaky as fuck.

Well I think many businesses have realised they're far less effective working from home but don't want to push people back in, especially in London where the tube is key to everything. And if people really think they're as effective from home, they're setting themselves up to be off-shored. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

We’ve gone over all this in the other thread but I think you’re in for a shock if you think the majority of people wfh are going in any time soon. 

What are the benefits for employers to get staff who are working from home back now? Don’t think they’ll be arsed much about the local economy and I’ll bet a shitload of them are looking at downgrading the office space they need. 

They won't be arsed about any of it. They're allowing people to be set up to be off shored. Anyone who works for a multi national who's based at home today needs to either get back to work and show the importance of being in their location or it'll be done out of a bedroom in the Philippines. 

1 minute ago, The Gaul said:

They won't be arsed about any of it. They're allowing people to be set up to be off shored. Anyone who works for a multi national who's based at home today needs to either get back to work and show the importance of being in their location or it'll be done out of a bedroom in the Philippines. 

Well that’s the line that I’ve seen taken by Toby Young, Kirstie Allsopp, Nick Ferrari and the Dail Mail this week so that should give you pause to think imo. 

Companies that could offshore staff have done it years ago. I mean, they could set up an office in India or wherever if they were that way inclined and have everyone working from their offices there. 

Anyone who meets clients wouldn’t haven’t their jobs offshored. Local and national government won’t be offshored. I’d be very surprised if banks and insurance companies and the likes did in any real numbers unless they want to lose a lot of customers. 

Majority of jobs going offshore will be customer service based or maybe IT and they could have done that already if they wanted to. 

Disagree with you saying people aren’t as productive wfh as well. Doesn’t seem the case from what I’ve seen? If you’ve been working from home and your employer is minded to offshore your job they’ll do it whether you go back to the office or not I reckon. 

10 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

My company's already sold off two of its offices around the country. Fortunately, we deal with UK data (council tax, benefits, business rates, pensions, health care etc), and have to go through enhanced DBS checks. Our customers are very unlikely to allow overseas workers access to it. The various development teams must be feeling the heat though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Well that’s the line that I’ve seen taken by Toby Young, Kirstie Allsopp, Nick Ferrari and the Dail Mail this week so that should give you pause to think imo. 

Companies that could offshore staff have done it years ago. I mean, they could set up an office in India or wherever if they were that way inclined and have everyone working from their offices there. 

Anyone who meets clients wouldn’t haven’t their jobs offshored. Local and national government won’t be offshored. I’d be very surprised if banks and insurance companies and the likes did in any real numbers unless they want to lose a lot of customers. 

Majority of jobs going offshore will be customer service based or maybe IT and they could have done that already if they wanted to. 

Disagree with you saying people aren’t as productive wfh as well. Doesn’t seem the case from what I’ve seen? If you’ve been working from home and your employer is minded to offshore your job they’ll do it whether you go back to the office or not I reckon. 

I know of 5 roles in 1 company that were available for hire in the UK and have all been off-shored and I understand that's the tip of the ice berg. I also know of 2 banks who are looking to offshore anyone who's role has proved to be not needed in London during the crisis. So nick Ferrari all you like, I'm watching it happen right now. 

Wouldn't be worried so much that working remotely will lead to jobs being offshored, they're two very different concepts. Working remotely will just lead to more companies having no buildings. An HQ above a butcher shop in Guernsey, everyone else working in their own homes, a sales team who can drive to clients if needs be.

This was a trend anyway, covid hasn't caused it. It's got its benefits for smaller towns and cities too. Instead of having everyone based in London or Manchester you could have smaller flexi offices in a Chester or a Bury, cutting down on commuting and giving smaller towns a boost.

I reckon outsourcing has had its day. My old place did it with a south African call centre and it was comedy gold, they were telling customers to shut up and stuff.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I know of 5 roles in 1 company that were available for hire in the UK and have all been off-shored and I understand that's the tip of the ice berg. I also know of 2 banks who are looking to offshore anyone who's role has proved to be not needed in London during the crisis. So nick Ferrari all you like, I'm watching it happen right now. 

When you say offshore you mean engaging a separate company to mange that personnel or that the candidate can be from anywhere?