You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You seem to be "underplaying" the death rate even more than me, but no neg from TK. I can't imagine why...

Because SasaS isn't a self-absorbed, neg crying, gargling, hypocritical divvy I assume? Don't quote me on that like but I'm fairly sure thats what TK will think when he sees this.

He might use 'twat' instead of 'divvy'. 

7 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

How would a mobile phone mast cause a virus? Am I missing something?

No idea and I think the exact same thing. Most of what I've seen is people thinking it causes health problems that weakens the body's ability to then deal with coronavirus. I'm sure there's some theories that have the masts causing it but that seems that fucking out there that I've not even thought to look further.

I'm bored of it now anyway, the only thing that bugged me yesterday was wondering why they hit Nightingales hospital and I guess I got a bit "triggered" or whatever the fuck. Before that I've been joking about the whole 5G mast thing to lighten my mood a bit from all the other stuff.

But now that's ruined. I still blame Eamonn Holmes for ruining it too, dirty manc rat. Barging into our sacred conspiracy safe space, bandwagoning right around the time that Icke was going to cause a revolution. The historians of the future will look back and see you Eamonn, this won't be forgotten.

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

What, Coronavirus? That's the lowest I've seen. Many still stating 0.5 and 0.6, but we have no idea on the size of the cohort really.

Yes. And that's true, it's too early to say. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even lower once we know more, it seems to be very contagious, unpredictable and very aggressive for certain categories, but relatively mild for most people. It will probably be between flu and SARS and MERS.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SasaS said:

Yes. And that's true, it's too early to say. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even lower once we know more, it seems to be very contagious, unpredictable and very aggressive for certain categories, but relatively mild for most people. It will probably be between flu and SARS and MERS.

No, this won't do at all. You need to be running round screaming that the sky's falling in while dressed like an extra from an alien autopsy video. That's the proportionate response.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You seem to be "underplaying" the death rate even more than me, but no neg from TK. I can't imagine why...

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Because SasaS isn't a self-absorbed, neg crying, gargling, hypocritical divvy I assume? Don't quote me on that like but I'm fairly sure thats what TK will think when he sees this.

He might use 'twat' instead of 'divvy'. 

I've been negged by TK. But I just have a little cry and move on.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, this won't do at all. You need to be running round screaming that the sky's falling in while dressed like an extra from an alien autopsy video. That's the proportionate response.

Yeah, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.  

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Nope but showing empathy, compassion and a sense of awareness is always worthwhile. 

32 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Last German study I saw mentioned put it at about 0.25

I might have seen an article on that but don't think I remember seeing 0.25 and was skimming the page. Linked something earlier from New Zealand that had 0.3 but that's already doubled now after more deaths. I've been guessing around 0.5-0.6 but get that it could be lower.

Just now, Nunavut Patrick said:

Thanks mate.

Management gave us hand sanitizer to use. And then I get reprimanded when I drink it. 

Put the 'No Service' sign on, find a remote area and then just sleep until its time to return to the depot. 

The Diamond Princess provides a useful example of the mortality rate because the whole ship became infected.  It has a death rate of 1.68%, although it still has 68 active cases and 7 people remain in critical condition so that could increase.  Obviously it had a high proportion of old people on it with it being a cruise ship but it's still a useful guide. 

https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/?fbclid=iwar147ov4dwioxm2j2iv5tqmrmdpz8ufi_1hxvcott0fwsoxdc3towhypf6m&amp

Preliminary German Study Shows a COVID-19 Infection Fatality Rate of About 0.4 Percent

Preliminary results are out from a COVID-19 case cluster study in one of the regions worst hit by Germany's coronavirus epidemic. They are somewhat reassuring.

One often-heard statistic is the "case fatality rate"—that is, the percentage of people diagnosed with a disease who will die of it. This afternoon that figure stands at 3.5 percent for COVID-19 in the U.S., but this rate is significantly inflated because it does not count asymptomatic cases or undiagnosed people who recover at home. What we really need to know is the infection fatality rate: the percentage of allthe people infected who eventually die of the disease. That's what the German study attempts to do.

Over the last two weeks, German virologists tested nearly 80 percent of the population of Gangelt for antibodies that indicate whether they'd been infected by the coronavirus. Around 15 percent had been infected, allowing them to calculate a COVID-19 infection fatality rate of about 0.37 percent. The researchers also concluded that people who recover from the infection are immune to reinfection, at least for a while.

For comparison, the U.S. infection fatality ratesfor the 1957–58 flu epidemic was around 0.27 percent; for the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic, it was about 2.6 percent. For seasonal flu, the rate typically averages around 0.1 percent. Basically, the German researchers found that the coronavirus kills about four times as many infected people than seasonal flu viruses do.

The German researchers caution that it would be wrong to extrapolate these regional results to the whole country. But they also believe these findings show that lockdowns can begin to be lifted, as long as people maintain high levels of hygiene to keep COVID-19 under control.

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Put the 'No Service' sign on, find a remote area and then just sleep until its time to return to the depot. 

One of the things I'd do if I won the lottery is buy a bus and drive it around at rush hour not stopping for anyone. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What I don't understand is how anyone can be wrong about the death rate when we won't know for months what it actually is. It's bizarre. 

Will we ever know what it is? Dalglish, Idris Elaba and co didn't even know they had it until they'd been tested. To get the death rate we need a vague idea of how many people have had the illness. 

I know a few people (and have heard a few on the radio) who swear black is white they reckon they had it around Christmas, weeks before it was supposed to be here in any real numbers. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

One of the things I'd do if I won the lottery is buy a bus and drive it around at rush hour not stopping for anyone. 

Just buy a set of ice cream van chimes and have them fitted to your car, drive around different estates early evening. Much more fun. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Maybe stop a few metres further than the bus stop and when people run to get to you, close the door and drive off as they get near.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Will we ever know what it is? Dalglish, Idris Elaba and co didn't even know they had it until they'd been tested. To get the death rate we need a vague idea of how many people have had the illness. 

I know a few people (and have heard a few on the radio) who swear black is white they reckon they had it around Christmas, weeks before it was supposed to be here in any real numbers. 

One of my mates was very ill over Christmas and he's adamant he's had it, very similar symptoms but it doesn't make sense due to the contagious nature of the virus.