Quantcast
The "Bobby" role and who could do it - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
niallers

The "Bobby" role and who could do it

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Do you reckon? I see him more as a runner and finisher. But maybe I haven’t been paying attention.

Bobby is about the pressing, sure, but also the clever movement and creative passing. 

Not sure I’ve seen any of that from Rashford.

Rashford would score more goals in our system but probably created less for the other attackers, and he’d be comfortable swapping positions with Mane and Salah. Having said that, Rashford recorded the same number of assists as Bobby last season (6) and created only one less “big chance”.

5 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Rashford would score more goals in our system but probably created less for the other attackers, and he’d be comfortable swapping positions with Mane and Salah. Having said that, Rashford recorded the same number of assists as Bobby last season (6) and created only one less “big chance”.

Rashford would be an excellent alternative to Mané and Salah but there's no way he could do Firmino's role. It's not all about assisting and creating chances. Most of it is being able to drop deep and having the tactical knowledge to create space for the two wide forwards. Those are things Rashford could not do.

If there's an alternative to Firmino, it's someone who is very comfortable at playing between the lines but can still get in the box and finish. There aren't many of those out there. Fekir, Joao Felix, Dybala and Griezmann are probably the most well-equipped but I doubt we'll sign any of them.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The defensive side of the game is what all those players lack - all the players there are lightweight - Bobby is a bull off the ball. 

Firmino is great defensively but that's a bonus. A good manager (which we have) can tell any professional footballer with a minimum level of fitness, health and professionalism to track back and run. It's more about finding someone with the technique and the positional/tactical sense.

I reckon Herr Klopp will probably use the players he has most effectively and tweak the system slightly rather than try to force a player to try and reproduce Bobby's rather unique talents.