You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Porto (H) Champions League 9/4/19

Bjornebye

I think the Mo tackle when seen in slow motion looks bad but in real time it is nothing. As was said, the reaction of the defender says it all, there is no way that is dangerous in that they was no speed and IMO Mo was always in control. If he had gone through the defender, then it was a red but football is still a contact sport. 

It is possible for contact to be made but it not be a dangerous/reckless challenge.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

Look at the lads reaction.  He doesn’t even know he’s been touched.  It looks well worse in slow motion.  Knowing Salah’s dribbling mannerisms he will have been trying to drag the ball back.  I don’t think he’s got it in him to put in a nasty challenge on anyone.  All that being said I was shocked to see him not sent off for it.

Just another point as well.  Look st the Porto players challenge.  He’s studs up with both feet off the ground.  He’s just quicker than Mo to the ball.

Yes. And he's quicker to the ball because the other defender holds Mo's arm back.

The ref might even have given Mo a free kick for the pull back, but probably correct didn't.  The second incident with Mo stamping on defender's foot is a result of the holding back, however. Freekick Porto - no card - is probably the right decision.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s definitely in play but the context is everything with handballs for me.  It gets slapped on to his arm by Alisson from a very short distance and is heading out of play regardless.  It’s completely accidental and is gaining no advantage with it hitting his arm.  It would never have been discussed as a pen in years gone by.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It’s definitely in play but the context is everything with handballs for me.  It gets slapped on to his arm by Alisson from a very short distance and is heading out of play regardless.  It’s completely accidental and is gaining no advantage with it hitting his arm.  It would never have been discussed as a pen in years gone by.

Could Allison not have tried to just keep it in?

28 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

That's what I was thinking too. He's not been his usual confident self the last few games, has made small mistakes that haven't been punished.

The curse of John Achterberg strikes again !!

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Could Allison not have tried to just keep it in?

I don’t think that’s got anything to do with what I posted but no anyway I don’t think he could.  The gif doesn’t give a good view of the situation.  It had dropped over his head and he was concentrating on the ball.  He didn’t know where any player was so played it safe and followed it out.  Trying to grab a ball like that could have ended in calamity.

It looks like he contemplates diving on it but sees Trent at the last second and pulls out and plays safe.  He had a good game last night again I thought.

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t think that’s got anything to do with what I posted but no anyway I don’t think he could.  The gif doesn’t give a good view of the situation.  It had dropped over his head and he was concentrating on the ball.  He didn’t know where any player was so played it safe and followed it out.  Trying to grab a ball like that could have ended in calamity.

It looks like he contemplates diving on it but sees Trent at the last second and pulls out and plays safe.  He had a good game last night again I thought.

Made one very good save.

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Made one very good save.

He came out and caught a few crosses as well.  He’s been so good at the generic things that I think we forget how we used to panic in those situations.  I honestly love that we’ve got this guy in goal.

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Did people in the stadium have any idea that the VAR call was in session? Crazy that those watching television are better informed.

Only for the Trent one.  For the others we were just waiting around trying to figure out what was going on.

VAR is fucking shit.  My observations on it from last night were:

- As above the communication in the stadium was shit.  For the other penalty review, it was only announced in the stadium that it was being reviewed after the review had happened.  I had no idea what was being looked at.  With all other VAR checks there was no announcement.

- The most enjoyable part of a game is when a goal goes in.  Had Mane's been allowed we'd have been robbed of the celebration and emotion around it and that's going to happen a lot.  Any time a lino is unsure on an offside it will go to review and we'll be sitting around waiting for minutes while the team is back in their own half preparing for a free kick.

- Across the two halves there were 4 minutes of injury time added in total. VAR decisions alone definitely took at least that without including time stopped for the goals, subs and some small pockets of time for players to get treatment. 

- It kills the flow of the game.  There'll never be another goal scored like the one we had against Fulham earlier this season when it's fully in place.

• Upvote 2

The only way forward for VAR is for the ref to be able to address the stadium like they do in the NFL. But then you may have language barrier problems that will require an interpreter in international and CL fixtures.