You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

The problem isn't Tre t can't defend its he either can't be arsed or doesn't care about it. We've seen him defend well enough over the past few years. Problem is the last 12-18 months he doesn't appear to give a shit about defending. These aren't issues with technical defending as such, it's just fucking brain dead shit and lack of effort. To be kept getting beat asleep at the back post isn't excusable. When the ball isn't at his feet he switches off. It's the absolute basics of defending to cone inside when a CB is pulled wide and to be between the ball and the winger. He did it well enough when he broke into the team so he knows how to do it. Like many of them he appears to relaxed thinking you just turn up and win

40 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The problem isn't Tre t can't defend its he either can't be arsed or doesn't care about it. We've seen him defend well enough over the past few years. Problem is the last 12-18 months he doesn't appear to give a shit about defending. These aren't issues with technical defending as such, it's just fucking brain dead shit and lack of effort. To be kept getting beat asleep at the back post isn't excusable. When the ball isn't at his feet he switches off. It's the absolute basics of defending to cone inside when a CB is pulled wide and to be between the ball and the winger. He did it well enough when he broke into the team so he knows how to do it. Like many of them he appears to relaxed thinking you just turn up and win

This is an English defender habit in particular. Gomez is another one too.

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I'm not sure we can say it's wrong to say he can't defend. The evidence is stacking up, the moments where he does it properly are now the outliers. For me defending is about 3 things, decision making, timing and positioning. Jurgen definitely has him snookered on the positioning which makes the others harder/impossible but in the moments when he's back he just doesn't seem to have the instinct Robbo or Kosta would have. 

I might be wrong on this but Ali tore the head of him against Utd for allowing Fernandes that header. I can't remember Ali ever having a go at him before, it's usually just a disappointed shake of the head. Virgil seems to cut him some slack to. This can definitely be part of the problem, it's like we have priced it in so it's allowed. We wouldn't allow it at 1 nil up after 85 minutes so it shouldn't be allowed at any stage. 

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Being Devil's Advocate - is it asking too much of Trent to be a right back but also be our creative fulcrum? 

You don't see De Bruyne having to defend, yet both players are expected to be doing the same amount of attacking work. 

He's like one of those boxers that are too big for one division and too small for the one above. 

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

When the shape's not good and teams are always breaking against us, you can tell he gets exasperated and starts going through the motions.

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Being Devil's Advocate - is it asking too much of Trent to be a right back but also be our creative fulcrum? 

You don't see De Bruyne having to defend, yet both players are expected to be doing the same amount of attacking work. 

It's a question of intent and execution. When we're being front foot successfully and penning teams in, Trent's pressing and running like a maniac. When we're facing a tough opponent and we know we'll have to suffer, he can defend deep and win 1v1's. Most players are like this. De Bruyne doesn't have much defending to do, but when City are dominating games, he's a presence off the ball.

The problem with Trent is it all gets too much for him when the plan doesn't work. He has to create chances the failing system can't help him create and plug holes that are appearing everywhere. 

I’ve always believed a full backs main priority should be to defend, and then if the game allows, get forward to assist attacks.

However, Trent is so good going forwards that he’s almost not a full back at all.

Our problem is that because he gets caught forward when moves break down, opposition teams can get in behind us and they play for that more and more.

Also he sometimes doesn’t get the cover or assistance he should get from other players in the team.

Added to this is his frustrating yet frequent inability to understand what is happening behind him when he does get back, which can lead to goals being conceded like Vinicius Jrs. goal in the final last season.

I saw Alison’s reaction to the Fernandez header in the United game, and I think Virgil gave him a blast too, so it’s something that the players recognise as well.

He’s almost too good going forwards to leave out, but without a decent back up to put pressure on him, he knows that he’s pretty much nailed on to play regardless of his form, which won’t help keep him focussed.

He’s not the only one to have been affected by a loss of form of course and it’s the collective fall off that needs to be reversed ASAP.

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

His defending at the weekend for their goal is a good example.

The Goal in the final last season imo is not -- he was holding the line correctly while Benzema was offside.

I'll die on that hill with you. Trent did nothing wrong on that goal. He had to hold the line and then the ball is just too good and impossible for him to defend.

He's been at fault for a lot of goals and near misses by not covering the back post and being aware of where people are, but that's not one.

14 hours ago, dave u said:

I'll die on that hill with you. Trent did nothing wrong on that goal. He had to hold the line and then the ball is just too good and impossible for him to defend.

He's been at fault for a lot of goals and near misses by not covering the back post and being aware of where people are, but that's not one.

Unfortunately he has been guilty of ball watching , instead of picking up his man, far too many times . This has nothing to do with him being at the forefront of our attacks. I would have thought that our coaching staff would have worked on this with him to eliminate or reduce the number of times it happens.

14 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I am now concerned.

Thought he was a level below, last year, but still very good. The mistakes he’s making this year seem like they could be part of a physical decline that come with age and injury, which are very hard to counteract.

I thought he was better tonight than the weekend. 

• 4 weeks later...

Last hour today was more like it, like the rest of the them the penny seemed to drop that he's allowed use his physicality, much more aggressive in everything he done and suddenly he looked decent again.

It's mad how many other fans are saying now how ridiculous it is that he was ever in the conversation for best premier league defender. Now I'm not saying he is but pre injury he was playing centreback to a level I've not seen in this league he was doing it all and mostly without ever having to make a tackle because he read the game, had the pace and ability to sniff out danger.

Now because of how insanely dumb online fan podcasts and YouTube channels are he's no longer in the debate,make no mistake in a list of premierleagues best centebacks he's easily in the arguement. I had one lad I know say to me he can be in the conversation he's only won one title so I said is shearer not in the conversation for best strikers then. Other fans become desperate to downplay any Liverpool player or achievement,they were saying Mane lost it but as soon as he was gone it was selling Mane was so dumb. 

Dijk has been poor this season but so has the entire side nearly.