You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2017

Captain Turdseye

Hunter started saying how he thinks Ward could beat him, Ward lifts a towel up and starts dabbing imaginary sweat from his forehead.

Hunter got slightly carried away there.

Ward could deffo move to Cruiserweight and win a title(s). The guy is a genius.

I think Kovalev could too.

Not sure whats next for him, if he can't get the rematch with Ward and Stevenson continues to duck everyone, then maybe he will step up.

America needs it's pound for pound champion so it can parade itself as being the Mecca of boxing once more. It needs it now more than ever at a time when their amateur system no longer produces gold medalists at the Olympics and they haven't produced an all conquering heavyweight since the 1990's. 

It's all an illusion. Just like the way Golota is vilified for low blowing Bowe three times but Ward is eulogised for doing a similar thing. Rigondeaux and Lara are boring because they are Cubans, ergo America's enemies, but Floyd is a genius. The narrative was written way before the fight. American hero vs Racist piece of shit Russian. It was the Cold War in boxing terms and the Americans couldn't lose. Even when they lost (the first fight).

• Upvote 1

America needs it's pound for pound champion so it can parade itself as being the Mecca of boxing once more. It needs it now more than ever at a time when their amateur system no longer produces gold medalists at the Olympics and they haven't produced an all conquering heavyweight since the 1990's.

It's all an illusion. Just like the way Golota is vilified for low blowing Bowe three times but Ward is eulogised for doing a similar thing. Rigondeaux and Lara are boring because they are Cubans, ergo America's enemies, but Floyd is a genius. The narrative was written way before the fight. American hero vs Racist piece of shit Russian. It was the Cold War in boxing terms and the Americans couldn't lose. Even when they lost (the first fight).

I agree to some extent but Ward IS p4p king in my opinion.

Floyd is hardly loved by all either.

I was shocked at how many yanks were rooting for Pacquiao. Barely any Americans were supporting Mayweather.

He was hardly HBO's darling either. They criticised him as much as he was praised.

I love watching Rigondeaux, but that style is never going to get him a big following. Most people would call it boring, regardless of where he is from.

• Upvote 2

I was shocked at how many yanks were rooting for Pacquiao. Barely any Americans were supporting Mayweather.

He was hardly HBO's darling either. They criticised him as much as he was praised.

I love watching Rigondeaux, but that style is never going to get him a big following. Most people would call it boring, regardless of where he is from.

I watched Manny/Floyd in a bar in manhattan and pretty much everyone in the place booed Mayweather when he came into the ring. I was surprised. Got talking to one of the bouncers and he said may weather is an embarrassment and he rigs fights. seemed to be the general consensus as the night wore on. 

Agree Byrnie,speak to most people in Vegas and they can't stand Mayweather bes disliked with a vengeance.

It's all an illusion. Just like the way Golota is vilified for low blowing Bowe three times but Ward is eulogised for doing a similar thing. Rigondeaux and Lara are boring because they are Cubans, ergo America's enemies, but Floyd is a genius. The narrative was written way before the fight. American hero vs Racist piece of shit Russian. It was the Cold War in boxing terms and the Americans couldn't lose. Even when they lost (the first fight).

Ward i was a quality boxer at super middle and has proved it again light heavy,his record speaks for itself,matter of opinion in the 1st kovelev fight but he'd have stopped him eventually without the early intervention by the ref.

Agree Byrnie,speak to most people in Vegas and they can't stand Mayweather bes disliked with a vengeance.

I couldn't believe it. I think there were 3000 people in the closed circuit venue we watched it. I reckon about 40 or 50 people were going for Mayweather.

I couldn't believe it. I think there were 3000 people in the closed circuit venue we watched it. I reckon about 40 or 50 people were going for Mayweather.

Went to Macy's Byrnie out there for (Pacquio/Marquez ) speaking to a girl behind the till she said the locals could"nt stand him ,said he'd come in with his entourage and treat the staff like shit,heard a few things on simalar lines from the locals,went to his gym I think you mentioned going mate and they charged 25 dollars to go in.

Guest Pistonbroke

Just caught up with the Ward v Kovalev fight on catchup, not a bad fight but nothing special. Started off scrappy with Kovalev taking a few of those opening rounds. Ward just took over from there on in and just systematically picked Kovalev off, who himself started hitting fresh air. Thought the ref jumped in a tad early but in hindsight he saved Kovalev punishment. His head had gone, he looked fully frustrated and like he didn't want to be in the ring anymore. 

Just caught up with the Ward v Kovalev fight on catchup, not a bad fight but nothing special. Started off scrappy with Kovalev taking a few of those opening rounds. Ward just took over from there on in and just systematically picked Kovalev off, who himself started hitting fresh air. Thought the ref jumped in a tad early but in hindsight he saved Kovalev punishment. His head had gone, he looked fully frustrated and like he didn't want to be in the ring anymore.

Summed it up there mate.

Ward i was a quality boxer at super middle and has proved it again light heavy,his record speaks for itself,matter of opinion in the 1st kovelev fight but he'd have stopped him eventually without the early intervention by the ref.

Ward is a quality boxer, no question about it. My issue is more with the ref and the commentating bias. Kovalev won the early rounds of the fight and they were falling over themselves to give Ward the rounds off the back of throwing about 10 punches. 

They had previous as well because before the fight even begun Kellerman and Lampley were watching round 10 of the first fight back and Kellerman decided within two seconds of the round (after Ward hits him with a left hook) that Ward won the round even though the rest of the round Kovalev out-lands him and out-throws him. 

Weeks waved off two low blows in the previous rounds before the low blow combo finish by Ward. After the fight they were watching the low blows in slow motion and talking about them like they were Hatton style body shots. Ward low blowed him about 6 or 7 times. If Kovalev threw those low blows at the end the action would've been stopped and Ward would've been given a full 5 minutes to recover. Kovalev would've been deducted points or potentially disqualified.

All i'm asking for is a degree of impartiality. I accept he's their guy, but show a little respect for the sport and what it takes for a fighter to get to that level in the first place. Not to give Kovalev, a former unified Champion, in his prime, a count at the very least was corrupt in the extreme. 

• Upvote 3

Ward is a quality boxer, no question about it. My issue is more with the ref and the commentating bias. Kovalev won the early rounds of the fight and they were falling over themselves to give Ward the rounds off the back of throwing about 10 punches. 

They had previous as well because before the fight even begun Kellerman and Lampley were watching round 10 of the first fight back and Kellerman decided within two seconds of the round (after Ward hits him with a left hook) that Ward won the round even though the rest of the round Kovalev out-lands him and out-throws him. 

Weeks waved off two low blows in the previous rounds before the low blow combo finish by Ward. After the fight they were watching the low blows in slow motion and talking about them like they were Hatton style body shots. Ward low blowed him about 6 or 7 times. If Kovalev threw those low blows at the end the action would've been stopped and Ward would've been given a full 5 minutes to recover. Kovalev would've been deducted points or potentially disqualified.

All i'm asking for is a degree of impartiality. I accept he's their guy, but show a little respect for the sport and what it takes for a fighter to get to that level in the first place. Not to give Kovalev, a former unified Champion, in his prime, a count at the very least was corrupt in the extreme.

As I said thought it was a bit premature myself Boss but he would have stopped him anyway,as for biased commentators you don't have to look no further than our own Sky team,if Eddie put Jimmy Krankie v Pacquio they would talk Krankie up,if you have a chance read Andy Lee's piece on the current Sky panel and it rings true.

As I said thought it was a bit premature myself Boss but he would have stopped him anyway,as for biased commentators you don't have to look no further than our own Sky team,if Eddie put Jimmy Krankie v Pacquio they would talk Krankie up,if you have a chance read Andy Lee's piece on the current Sky panel and it rings true.

Haha that's all very true. Do you have the link to the piece?

There was no standing count rule in effect. Kovalev would have been wise to have taken a knee.

I haven't mate,what was your opinion on Paul Smith I thought he was poor and didn't think much of his opponent.do you reckon he'll be the classic "I won't box out of Germany"merchant.

Yep, my opinion's pretty much the same as you. He'll be another Sven Ottke.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I haven't mate,what was your opinion on Paul Smith I thought he was poor and didn't think much of his opponent.do you reckon he'll be the classic "I won't box out of Germany"merchant.

Mentioned exactly this during/after Zeuge's fight. He'll be managed much like Henry Maske was. Easy opponents who he is technically better than, the first technical opponent with power he comes up against will beat him. 

Mentioned exactly this during/after Zeuge's fight. He'll be managed much like Henry Maske was. Easy opponents who he is technically better than, the first technical opponent with power he comes up against will beat him.

[/quote

Your right mate until he is found out.does he get much press where you are as he is virtually unheard of over here.

Guest Pistonbroke

[/quote

Your right mate until he is found out.does he get much press where you are as he is virtually unheard of over here.

Not that much, normally just before and after a fight. 

Am I the only one who didn't think the flurry at the end were low blows, I mean they were borderline but they wasn't illegally low, well I don't think they was anyway and if they was why didn't Kov complain.

He's a professional boxer who was hurt so any chance he had to stop the fight and regroup he would have took, if at the time he thought they was low he'd have complained to the ref and had his time to recover, he obviously didn't feel like they was illegal shots. The guys a fucking dickhead who's now crying about something because his advisors have told him too.