You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are Midfield Enforcers Redundant?

AngryOfTuebrook

There was a time when every team either had a nasty bastard in the middle of the park, or they were crying out for one.  Obviously, there have also been plenty of players who could mix being a thug with actually playing football - we've had the likes of Sounness, McMahon and Gerrard, others have had Keane, Viera, Makelele, etc. 

Looking around now, they seem to be a dying breed - and most clubs don't seem to miss them.  In the Premier League, I can only really think of N'golo Kante and maybe Screech who fit the bill (although there are still plenty of cunts playing in other positions).  They'll give you a bit of a kick or an elbow, but they hardly strike fear into anyone's heart, do they?

Who are the nasty bastard midfielders now?

Thing of the past fella.

It used to be that the hardman of a team would give the star of the opposition a bit of a kick early on. Just to lay down a marker, as it were. These days, said hardman is booked and on thin ice for the rest of the game.

Xabi said tackling isn't really a quality. Whilst I don't entirely agree with him, I can see his point with regard to the modern game.

The systems that require them are out of fashion and the players are adapting to that rather than the players themselves are dying out.

Clubs are looking for more rounded metronomic (is that even a word?) players that dictate the tempo but can also launch attacks rather than solely break up play and pass the ball sideways.

It's the same, though to a lesser extent, with 'traditional' strikers.

Henderson has been our enforcer this season.

You don't have to clatter opponents now days.  You stay on your feet, pressurise and win the ball - which is what he has done and as Stringvest says Kante is another who is very good at it - but not as good as Hendo in possession.

You can't have a Souness or Vinny Jones smashing opponents now days or they'd get sent off every game.  Souness was such a good footballer he' be able to adapt, but he couldn't get away with the stuff he used to do in his day.

I think there's a difference between a DM and the antiquated idea of an enforcer. The latter doesn't exist any more, and for good reason; they'd spend most of the time suspended. Even in the last five years there's been a move away from players sticking a few early harsh tackles in on sides like Arsenal (it was Stoke's MO for years), as gutless refs like Webb - so often praised for "letting the game flow" - are being given instructions to protect players.

The whole enforcer ethos was to supposedly stamp some authority on the opposition by instilling fear. They're not necessary any more, and whilst I rate Hendo he's about as far away from an enforcer as you can get.

The role has split, into DM snides like Herrera and those who understand the value of a professional foul. The closest the modern game has is a thug like Cattermole.

• Upvote 1

We had players like Tommy Smith and Souness who where enforcers but lets not forget they could also play football as well.

Screech and the likes of chopper harris where just thugs who quite frankly were not very good.

I wouldnt class Gerrard as an enforcer at all.

I think the reason they have become a thing of the past is because what was once acceptable in football is no longer acceptable.

No one likes seeing screech elbowing anyone and the tackles that the players back in the day done where career ending injuries.

Kante is hardly a midfield enforcer - the fella is about 5'6 and a buck 35 soaking wet. He doesnt win anymore tackles than Henderson FFS, certainly doesn't clatter people. He is a tireless runner and is positionally sound and a useful guy on the pitch but he is in no way an enforcer.

He's an excellent player.

Good point. 

As for enforcers anyone thinking Kante is one is going strictly by the number of tackles which is why I pointed out Henderson (who is again, hardly an enforcer.) The reason Keane was able to get inside players heads is because when he said "Come in here again and I will break your leg" - he meant it, and they knew he meant it. Kante was not even the most physical player in his own midfield last year, and he is not this year either. Last year he was very disciplined positionally - playing in a side that was very compact in their own half inviting the opposition on them every game.

Recently (last  few years) I will give you two old school enforcers - Gennaro Gattuso and Gary Medel. There are none of any quality in England.

• Upvote 1

Good point.

As for enforcers anyone thinking Kante is one is going strictly by the number of tackles which is why I pointed out Henderson (who is again, hardly an enforcer.) The reason Keane was able to get inside players heads is because when he said "Come in here again and I will break your leg" - he meant it, and they knew he meant it. Kante was not even the most physical player in his own midfield last year, and he is not this year either. Last year he was very disciplined positionally - playing in a side that was very compact in their own half inviting the opposition on them every game.

Recently (last few years) I will give you two old school enforcers - Gennaro Gattuso and Gary Medel. There are none of any quality in England.

And with Medel he was, correctly, deemed not good enough on the ball to play in midfield so shuffled back to centre back.

Wouldn't be surprised if the same is done with Wanyama at some point.