You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

Pogba just told Juve that he wants to join United. I thought it was impossible to attract class players if you're not in the CL?!

Sane is also close to joining City.

I think it is if you're a team that's not regularly in the CL, if you're trying to make a comparison to them and us then you're clutching at straws really. 

• Upvote 1

I think it is if you're a team that's not regularly in the CL, if you're trying to make a comparison to them and us then you're clutching at straws really.

It reflects the owners and the clubs ambition really, not accepting of being a mid-table team.

Meanwhile, we've admitted defeat in our pursuit of Poland's bench warmer... Zielinski.

It reflects the owners and the clubs ambition really, not accepting of being a mid-table team.

Meanwhile, we've admitted defeat in our pursuit of Poland's bench warmer... Zielinski.

The mancs have been consistently winning the PL since it began, whored themselves out in the 90s and continue to reap the rewards of that. Our corner shop only got going once the yanks arrived and they continue to whore us out.

By the virtue of City and Chelsea being able to cheat without question and then Arsenal and the Mancs being in a much stronger position than us with regular CL we are already less of an attraction. Spurs consistently finish above us now and West Ham (new stadium) and Southampton do now too. 

It showed that one flash in the pan 2nd place finish won't suddenly get players clambering to your door. It will take time and patience and regular top four finishes year on year to be able to attract top players. 

I don't see our current owners wanting to lay out the kind of money that staying competitive in the top four will cost, they're happy charging top four prices for mid table football. it appears we are happy to accept that, or rather we have little choice really.

We always said (when we were just about qualifying for Europe) that it would only take one team just below us to get their act together and we would be fucked. Well a few have and with the TV money and wiser buying than that salesman managed, we are fucked. Teams we considered much worse than us have been buying and selling wisely (usually with us mugs doing the buying at inflated prices) and it's come to us relying on one man to take it all on. 

Big gamble and that's why I can't believe FSG haven't got an early exit plan, this could all go spectacularly wrong. 

United are paying wages that nearly treble our highest paid player.  

Guess that's kind of the point he was making though. It's more the money than CL football that attract most players, which I think is very much a valid point, as we've seen when City kept nicking players from Arsenal despite no CL football or more recently with Kante to Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

The mancs have been consistently winning the PL since it began, whored themselves out in the 90s and continue to reap the rewards of that. Our corner shop only got going once the yanks arrived and they continue to whore us out.

By the virtue of City and Chelsea being able to cheat without question and then Arsenal and the Mancs being in a much stronger position than us with regular CL we are already less of an attraction. Spurs consistently finish above us now and West Ham (new stadium) and Southampton do now too.

It showed that one flash in the pan 2nd place finish won't suddenly get players clambering to your door. It will take time and patience and regular top four finishes year on year to be able to attract top players.

I don't see our current owners wanting to lay out the kind of money that staying competitive in the top four will cost, they're happy charging top four prices for mid table football. it appears we are happy to accept that, or rather we have little choice really.

We always said (when we were just about qualifying for Europe) that it would only take one team just below us to get their act together and we would be fucked. Well a few have and with the TV money and wiser buying than that salesman managed, we are fucked. Teams we considered much worse than us have been buying and selling wisely (usually with us mugs doing the buying at inflated prices) and it's come to us relying on one man to take it all on.

Big gamble and that's why I can't believe FSG haven't got an early exit plan, this could all go spectacularly wrong.

its cost them fuck all and club is apparently worth about 5 times what they paid for it.

the plan on the pitch seems to be buy a lot of decent youngsters and develop them into winners before selling them on for a profit.

we ve regularly done the 2nd part but it will only be a success if the first bit comes to fruition.

hopefully the experience of the nearliness in the last few years can become the launchpad for trophies in the next few.

Guess that's kind of the point he was making though. It's more the money than CL football that attract most players, which I think is very much a valid point, as we've seen when City kept nicking players from Arsenal despite no CL football or more recently with Kante to Chelsea.

Money talks, definitely.  Our current owners don't seem keen on paying high wages, but seem pretty unconcerned with moderate transfer fees.

Whatever 'model' currently in place clearly doesn't work or it would only work if we had one of the best players to have ever played in the land (Suarez). Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're departing from our MO e.g., we still buy over performing players from mid table teams and youngsters. I like Klopp, I think he's a good manager... What he did with Dortmund was fantastic. However, he's the only significant variance/improvement we've seen from last season, and it's nowhere near enough.

Tbh I'm of the opinion that these days CL means diddly squat compared to forking out loads of money. Yes players want to win things but if they are being paid about a million per month to go to a rich club not in the CL the majority won't give a fuck. This defeatist excuse needs to go - we pay up, we can get the top players; the issue is that we dont.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Half a fucking million a week on two players. Its fucking mental. Remeber all the press when Keane got 50k a week,it was disgraceful an obscene amount now nobody bats a eyelid at one man earning a quarter of a million a week.

It would take me tbe best part of 10 fucking years to earn that on my normal weekly wage and thats working a 56 hour week on 12hr shifts