You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cocaine

Reckoner

I bet you don't care wear your new Nike air Max trainers came from do you? I'm not condoning cocaine usage against what you have posted above but that isn't because jack down the pub on a Saturday does a few lines. It's because cartels are greasy and don't give a fuck about human lives.

Legalise it and we will just have greedy governments going to war over it.

Obviously I am aware of the fact that sports companies exploit child labour, mate.  (I remember contributing to the pressure being put on David Beckham when he was sponsored by Adidas and at the same time was all over the papers as the children's champion - a bizarre time that was).

Clearly that kind of exploitation causes widespread misery.

I think Mexico's murder of 100,000 people probably tops it.

• Upvote 1

Dude I completely agree. And the "you" was general in terms of people.

My point is that there are more people that are wearing/using stuff from a sweat shop than those that are using cocaine

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

You've not spent much time in concert square have you mate. The fucking benches are off their faces round there. 

It's not the fault of drug users though. All that suffering is caused by prohibition. Banning any product would have the same result.

I know banning any product would give the same result.

But it is banned.

And so yes it is the fault of drug users.  To absolve them of all responsibility and put it down solely to antiquated drug laws would be wrong.

I think most people are aware it's banned.

(And then I got wasted and did loads of birds and stuff, Stig....)

I love the juxtaposition between razor's thoughts on coke and his avatar.

Hold on, Lou Reed took DRUGS?!?  But, but....  Well at least he never made a song and dance about it.

• Upvote 3

Would people buy any other product that casued so much misery in the developing world...?

The cocaine trade wreaks havoc on countries around the world. Cash from the sale of coke has financed coups in Bolivia, fuelled guerrilla wars in Nicaragua and Columbia, and today threatens the stability of the Mexican state.

However, the deaths don't deter people from entering into the illegal and violent drug trafficking business. Up to 2013, the Mexican drug war has cost the lives of 60,000 people, with other reports putting it as high as 100,000 due to missing persons.

"Yeah, but having it means I can drink 7 more pints of ale I otherwise wouldn't be able to."

Ah, well when you put it like that...

I fucking love reminding right on punk/hippy vegan squatters about this.

Yeah,but no Vietnam and its protest songs? A whole generation of music down the toilet. (Similar to drugs I suppose.)

They were not on coke. It was more weed and acid and smack. Psychedelics are boss. Smack less so and junkies can be a right pain when they need a fix but at least they are not down the pub being wankers talking shite and clogging up the cubicles.

It's usually when a band hits the coke big time that the talent leaves them. Be Here Now for instance.

• Upvote 2

Cocaine can be a pretty nasty drug in terms of its psychological (i.e. paranoia, addiction) and physical effects but there's something remarkable about the way otherwise rational people approach drugs. Oftentimes people make moralistic judgments concerning drug users whilst often overlooking or downplaying their own drug taking (cognitive dissonance). For example, if I was to poll members of this forum to establish the prevalence of regular alcohol abuse, it's very likely such rates would be relatively high but, unless one is deemed an alcoholic, there are few negative social connotations associated with regular alcohol abuse. Yet, David Nutt, a psychiatrist and psychopharmacologist, created a drug harm index which combines both the harm associated to users and the wider harm to society for widely abused substances. Alcohol was ranked as the most harmful. There is , I concede, something inherently seedy about sniffing lines of powder from a toilet cistern which isn't the case when quaffing a pint of IPA. 

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

Cocaine can be a pretty nasty drug in terms of its psychological (i.e. paranoia, addiction) and physical effects but there's something remarkable about the way otherwise rational people approach drugs. Oftentimes people make moralistic judgments concerning drug users whilst often overlooking or downplaying their own drug taking (cognitive dissonance). For example, if I was to poll members of this forum to establish the prevalence of regular alcohol abuse, it's very likely such rates would be relatively high but, unless one is deemed an alcoholic, there are few negative social connotations associated with regular alcohol abuse. Yet, David Nutt, a psychiatrist and psychopharmacologist, created a drug harm index which combines both the harm associated to users and the wider harm to society for widely abused substances. Alcohol was ranked as the most harmful. There is , I concede, something inherently seedy about sniffing lines of powder from a toilet cistern which isn't the case when quaffing a pint of IPA. 

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

But how much of this is simply forced because one is legal and the other isn't? What if you had to go to the bogs to quickly neck a pint of IPA, that you'd smuggled into the cocaine bar, whereas trays/mirrors were provided, along with straws, and you could rack up at the bar?

But how much of this is simply forced because one is legal and the other isn't? What if you had to go to the bogs to quickly neck a pint of IPA, that you'd smuggled into the cocaine bar, whereas trays/mirrors were provided, along with straws, and you could rack up at the bar?

It's probably related entirely to its prohibition. 

I'm not making a "trendy" argument, I'm advocating an alternative perspective based upon empirical studies conducted by a world leading professor in the arena of drug harm. The index is based on criterion in a number of areas that are considered harm, either to the user or wider society. I assume some of those criterion - particularly in the categories pertaining to harm to others - are indirectly affected by prevalence but in the absence of clearly defined methods, it's impossible to say with any certainty. However, other criterion - particularly those relating to harm to the user - most likely relate to the level of the individual rather than the population.

It is important to compare, for example, the pharmacological profile of each substance. Alcohol has an incredibly complex pharmacological profile, displaying potent affinities for the GABA, glutamate (AMPA, kainate, NMDA), acetylcholine, adenosine and serotonin systems, as well as a capacity to influence transmembrane proteins such as calcium channels, which modulate the exchange of ions across the neuronal membrane. Cocaine, in comparison, is a relatively clean drug, in that it is a high-affinity inhibitor of the dopamine transporter (DAT), which leads to an accumulation of dopamine in the synaptic cleft, though it is also a relatively decent inhibitor of serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake. In considering such differences, one can begin to understand why alcohol has a much greater dependence liability than cocaine. That is, continued alcohol abuse invariably leads to the development of physical dependence, whereas cocaine does not - it tends to produce a psychological dependence. Sustained alcohol abuse can also produce a psychological dependence. Anyway, the point of this is that alcohol abuse produces a physical dependence syndrome by virtue of its pharmacology that, in certain instances, can be fatal whereas cocaine does not. 

Consequently, discussions around drug harm are, by their very nature, incredibly complex and don't tend to lend themselves to soundbites. 

• Upvote 2

Those Methamphetamine figures must be wrong. I was watching a crime programme the other week with this young lad who was a meth addict in America. He'd get in his jeep in the middle of the night and just wait with the lights on until a car drove into the street and then he'd give chase full speed down the road like something out of Steve McQueen's Bullitt. He'd pop his head out the driver window calling them all the cunts under the sun, screaming jibberish and trying to ram them off the road.

It was some rural community in America and they just dealt with it for a couple of months because his family were well known and respected. It was funny as fuck to watch. Every night he'd get loaded on meth and sit silently in his car with a pair of shades on like Death proof waiting to chase people down this little road. It finally reached a head when some elderly woman nearly died. She crashed into a lamppost trying to get away from him.

Anyway one of the neighbours woke up one morning and looked out his window and here's this lad waiting outside this mans house in a Jeep with a pair of shades on. The man just fucking snapped. He got a pistol out of his draw and walked out onto his drive way in his ballies and just blew the lads head off, point blank range.  It was quite sad actually because they found out that one of his family members (i think it was his dad) had just died and he was taking massive amounts of meth to cope, but the guy who shot him got off without any charge.

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

I once got hit on the head by a bag of garlic mushrooms when walking past a chippy on a Saturday night, so I'm calling bullshit on that chart.

• Upvote 3