You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Decent Scouse Players

AngryOfTuebrook

I've heard a few people bemoaning the lack of Scousers in our squad.  Until (unless?) Flanno gets well soon, we're a shower of OOTs, aren't we.  I'm not convinced that it matters that much, to be honest - I like good, committed players, regardless of where they come from - but it got me thinking about the dearth of decent current Scouse players.

Obviously there's Spudhead up the road and Leighton Baines next door, but beyond that how far do we have to go before we're scraping the Nolan and Barton barrel?

How many current Scousers would actually improve our squad.

NB - This is a thread about players, not managers!

Doesn't bother me except the crowd are more likely to get behind them rather than on their backs when things aren't going well. It's also a pleasing thing to see the club generate it's own stars cheaply (before they eventually leave for more ambitious clubs and better pay).

The crowd can really propel players they choose to get behind, look at Mark Noble playing for West Ham last night, playing really well, buzzing off the crowd affection. I wish crowds focused on trying to lift all the players to play better really.

Craig Noone.

Hang on a sec, I've just fallen in the barrel.

Not all that surprising really. Only about a quarter of players in the Premier League are English, and English players don't play abroad. So having about 4/5 decent players from one big city, sadly, is probably about average.

We can pair him up with that tate guy and lovren, ashley williams and when rodgers finally lands vorm we can put mignolet up front where his real calling is where his horribly snuffed shanked shinrollers will fool any goalkeeper and centre-back it would be like having ian rush and toshack rolled into one. I fucking hate lovren not sure if ive ever hated anyone like this, even babb and scales, harkness matteo, kvarme had their endearing qualities. Mark wright was a despicable wife beating injury prone southport managing wanker but he had a few decent games and only possessed half the foolish capacity as lovren, an amalgramation of tim love joy and wren bathrooms his whole name is a warning about one day in jan lovejoy went to wren bathrooms and some disaster will result leaving us all clinging by our nails to the floor like a vertigo suffering having an epileptic fit with loads of mancs are running past celebrating some long forgotten thing called a goal. Run home jack.

Doesn't bother me, virtually all English players are shite - let alone scouse ones. 

I'm not that sold on the idea of local players being more committed either. Gerrard would have been boss wherever he was, and Carragher would have been a committed player no matter where too. 

• Upvote 1