You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

The bubble will burst eventually, lots of people being turned off football due to the direction it has gone. As older generations pass on and new ones are born they have to put more into grass roots or suffer the inevitable consequences. 

It won't. I probably watch 1 in 2 of our games these days and absolutely zero other matches (I just don;t like football much these days), but the young coming through will only know a bloated game like this, so it's their new normal. Then in 30 years they'll be complaining about the new super duper international timezone world club league, and their children will only know that game.

I'm pretty sure this has gone on before us and it will go on after us. 

FSG aren't a near bottomless pit of money. They have a finite amount of money and they're expecting a profit on it too. Therein lies the problem. They are competing against two clubs without any such restraint (Chelsea and City), and a club that's such a behemoth, it can license Red Devils bog roll and still make money on it. Then there's Arsenal who give FSG a possibly misguided believe that you can still make money from football by just aiming for top 4 every season.

You can't 'blame' FSG per se, but you can certainly make an argument to say they aren't the right people to be able to get you back to the very top. Regardless of people's views on sugar daddy clubs etc, the net result is that you need bloody deep pockets to mount a sustained challenge (over a number of seasons) at the top of the table, and FSG just don't have that sort of money.

That's not to say they've not offered any investment, of course they have, but they can't keep doing it season in, season out like others can.

They've gone with a fan's favourite manager, a speculative young manager, and now a highly regarded foreign manager - so they can't be accused of not being willing to try anything. I just don't think the money is there to spend (net) over 100m a season like other clubs can and over a number of seasons that gap in levels of investment widens.

Spurs may well go on to improve their finances with the new stadium too, making the league even more competitive. Whatever the landscape looked like when FSG took over, and their hopes of being able to steer Liverpool back on track quite easily, the landscape has now changed and it's looking a lot more difficult for them.

They're hopeless. Michael Edwards as Sporting Director? Far too wedded to stats and not enough to tactical and technical innovation in their hires.

Neither Gordon or Edwards have any track record of success to warrant their positions. Edwards being held in such high regard because he knows how to drive Excel and PowerPoint well. Our effectiveness in the transfer market over the last seven years has hardly been something to crow about or indeed during the time Edwards has been involved.

FSG didn't know a great deal about running a football club when they took over but they did understand owning a sporting franchise so should have at least been able to seek advice from someone who does have a successful track record.

Bottom line is all their changes of direction, new strategies and models are simply an attempt to avoid spending at the necessary level to be remotely and consistently competitive and to bridge that gap between ourselves and our competitors investment levels. It hasn't worked.

Since 2010 we've raised more funds through sales than virtually any other club in Europe and yet FSG tell us we can compete for any player in the world.

Despite the near £300 million turnover, apparently successful commercial strategy, substantial increase in TV revenue just bear in mind that by the time the next transfer window opens it will have been two years since the club has made a net investment in the market.

It doesn't matter what shiny new forward thinking strategy you adopt you cannot realistically expect to compete when you spend two years making a net profit in the transfer market.

I sense another impending open letter from John W although they don't seem to bother with those any longer?

• Upvote 1

The whole board/recruitment side of the club needs a massive overhaul we need knowledgeable football people involved, they came into the club without a clue about football and hired Comolli and in their opinion that failed, so instead of replacing him properly they've replaced him with way less qualified people.

It's like if after Kenny "failed" and they wanted to sack him, replacing him with another business guy instead of a football man. They have been scared off with one failure. If we've gone down the Sporting Director route at least have someone good there, who knows players. Someone who can spot a player, the guy Everton got from Leicester or Monchi or Zorc or someone at least not driven by spreadsheets and football manager will do.

I know it's like a running joke but whoevers in charge of identifying a player at Southampton should be gone for then get a good scouting network around him and go from there, leave Klopp to the coaching and managing.

I'd personally rather they just fucked off and sold the club to owners with ambitions of winning things, I think that ship has sailed now though after FSG have bled us dry, why would anyone invest in a club that's going to cost the best part of a billion pound, then invest in new stands or a stadium then hundreds off millions on transfers? When they could just buy West Ham, Palace even Newcastle for half of what it would cost them to buy us.

They've pretty much done what they said they would. In that we wouldn't be leveraged with debt she we'd be fairly self sufficient.

However the stark reality is if you want to compete in this league, you need to spend as much as the other 4.

Simply put, we can't. It was obvious to everyone in football if we had of streghtened in the right places last month we'd have given an already decent squad some fresh impetus, but we just don't have the money to do this.

Also in the summer, I find it hard to believe if we where seriously loaded that klopp would have still went for karius over someone of say Neuers standard, or someone like that, if you know what i mean.

The time is perfect for them to sell up. But just like anybody when they are selling something, they want the absolute maximum, and then some for their product.

I don't see us being sold anyone soon, because quite frankly, who is willing to pay a billion pounds for the 5-6th the best in the premier league...

• Upvote 1

They've pretty much done what they said they would. In that we wouldn't be leveraged with debt she we'd be fairly self sufficient.

However the stark reality is if you want to compete in this league, you need to spend as much as the other 4.

Simply put, we can't. It was obvious to everyone in football if we had of streghtened in the right places last month we'd have given an already decent squad some fresh impetus, but we just don't have the money to do this.

Also in the summer, I find it hard to believe if we where seriously loaded that klopp would have still went for karius over someone of say Neuers standard, or someone like that, if you know what i mean.

The time is perfect for them to sell up. But just like anybody when they are selling something, they want the absolute maximum, and then some for their product.

I don't see us being sold anyone soon, because quite frankly, who is willing to pay a billion pounds for the 5-6th the best in the premier league...

The stark reality is that all those people who said, "I don't want a sugardaddy, I just want to be run properly" have discovered they were lying, to themselves.

• Upvote 3

The stark reality is that all those people who said, "I don't want a sugardaddy, I just want to be run properly" have discovered they were lying, to themselves.

Exactly. It's impossible to compete long term against the rest.

I won't lie, I'd take a sugardaddy over fsg. For the simple reason being in 35 now and we haven't won the league since I was a very young child.

We've more than made ourselves self sufficient now though we only spend what we've sold and have done for a while and the tv money has gone up to £90-£100m a season and all our record breaking commercial deals, they need to spend the money required or fuck off, it's such a frustrating time to be a Liverpool fan.

We've more than made ourselves self sufficient now though we only spend what we've sold and have done for a while and the tv money has gone up to £90-£100m a season and all our record breaking commercial deals, they need to spend the money required or fuck off, it's such a frustrating time to be a Liverpool fan.

It's been frustrating since 1990

True, but eventually fans will demand more. I can't speak for the streets of the UK but over here in Germany there is a remarkable change on how kids perceive the game, they are the future generation of paying fans. Then you have the fact people in general have less money to spend on luxuries, Football is becoming a luxury these days, especially the price they charge fans in the UK. It could easily be simple economics that kill the game to a certain extent. TV deals are fine as long as those at the top are making a profit, if those profits are threatened they will soon move on to a different league/country/sport/whatever.

I prefer watching the Bundesliga over the PL anyway. I watch more of that than the PL. The fact that its free to air via bookmakers is much easier than the rip off and overhyped PL sky and bt shite. The German model is currently more sustainable because the fans get more of a say,the crux may come in a few years time when the younger fans expect more.

It's been frustrating since 1990 [emoji21]

As I was born in 86 I've suffered a few less frustrating years thankfully, it's only really been frustrating for me since we lost the FA Cup final to Utd in 96, that was the year I realised football can be painful, up until then I just loved watching football. I remember walking home from my nans crying over the result and dreading going to school on the Monday. My first real taste of defeat had me in tears and I've basically been in tears since.

As I was born in 86 I've suffered a few less frustrating years thankfully, it's only really been frustrating for me since we lost the FA Cup final to Utd in 96, that was the year I realised football can be painful, up until then I just loved watching football. I remember walking home from my nans crying over the result and dreading going to school on the Monday. My first real taste of defeat had me in tears and I've basically been in tears since.

Cried reading that. 

It's about buying the right players though. Let the mancs be a cautionary tale.

Is right.

There's no reason for us to be this shit, even with no additional investment from FSG.

We could have sold Sturridge for £25m and brought in someone better. We could have sold Coutinho for £50m and bought at least one quick forward. Can, Moreno, we would have had bidders too.

I blame Klopp for all of it. He's kept his mouth shut about FSG and so he is the one to blame.

Methinks we've got a world class manager in the midst of a mid-life crisis.