You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you happy about Benteke?

tlw content

I like the criticism that he hits purple patches. What I would give for a purple patch from one of our strikers. We barely mustered a crimson or maroon patch last season. In fact there were no patches at all. Patchless, that's what we were.

It is true though, and not really a criticism, more of an observation. It can be argued that it was due to a combination of poor tactics, regaining match fitness and playing in a dire team.

We've spent a lot of money on him, so questions should be asked. Can he bring consistency into his game by playing in a better team? Can he adapt to altered tactics? who do we have to play to his strengths to ensure he provides a constant goal return?

without knocking his overall goal return, which is quite respectable, I'd personally like to see him score a goal every two games literally, rather than go through an extremely long dry patch and getting a couple of goals in a few games which boosts his stats. That for me is what really defines consistency in a striker. And though I have doubts whether he can achieve that, I truly hope that he can attain and maintain that level.

• Upvote 1

i think he will fit in well but i think our issue is we wont really know how its going to go till about 4 games into the season its ok playing shite teams preseason but it dont really give us a clue how things will fit into place if we do need that DM its going to be a rush to get 1 before the window closes (if we can afford it )

take alook at man city they have played roma and real madrid  2 quality sides that have stretched them thats the sort of pre season we need with a couple of smaller teams thrown in 

We've needed a DM since Lucas got injured years ago. There is absolutely no excuse for waiting to see how things go. There's three and a half seasons worth of proof of how they'll go.

Can is the option he will go for.

I agree with you by the way. Rodgers neglect of our central defensive weaknesses is criminal.

We need a DM, better keeper and another top class CB.  Won't be long into next season before we see Lovren and Toure stinking the place out and Lucas gifting fk's on the edge of the area . I hope Gomez is as good as it says on the box

• Upvote 1

I think we have a reasonably decent squad with one or two gaping holes,DM and maybe GK too,but I am much less confident in Rodgers getting the best out of it compared to a Van Gaal or even a Benitez.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong soon.

There is a thread on the GF Relating to gaping holes....

He's just not the player we needed. He's decent but we needed 2 pacey bastards who can stretch the opposition and create space. 

We also need a proper DM. 

Fuck it. 

No way we were going to get two more in addition to Ings and Origi. He is a handful running the channels so he can create a lot of space himself. 

I keep oscillating between being optimistic about our prospects and a growing fear that this will be another season of disappointment , On paper we have made some pretty decent signings but nothing done about our central defense from the keeper through to the midfield , Can we really finish ahead of any one of Arsenal , Chelsea and the Manc clubs with essentially the same defense as last season which haemorrhaged goals ?. OK Johnson upgraded will help but we still look weak at the back esp when we inevitably get a few injuries and suspensions.

If I had any real faith in the manager to get the best out of the squad it would help

• Upvote 1

I'm ecstatic at the Belgian Bulge, he's going to spunk red hot molten goals all over the nay sayers faces then carry Night Cat off into the cold dark unknown like Hannibal Lecter and the fake Clarice Starling.

If Benteke can prove me wrong I'll be the happiest idiot in the world.

After watching pre season, I can't help but think that we've been trying to work on our delivery from wide positions, still a lot left to be desired, but we are whipping in a few more than previously. Milner has s

It also helps not having a short player like Sterling as your focal point, if Origi could attack the ball better with his head he could have had a goal or two today. Benteke will definitely remedy that.