You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF TripAdvisor

Champ

Ellesmere Port: Where the rolling Cheshire plains meet the shimmering blue Mersey. This beautiful harbour town forms part of the stockbroker belt for neighboring Chester. With its historic boat museum and Designer Outlet, it has something for everyone. The Port Arcades offer an opportunity to pick up a bargain at Wilko's and be on the end of a mugging with actual bodily harm.

• Upvote 1

Ellesmere Port: Where the rolling Cheshire plains meet the shimmering blue Mersey. This beautiful harbour town forms part of the stockbroker belt for neighboring Chester. With its historic boat museum and Designer Outlet, it has something for everyone. The Port Arcades offer an opportunity to pick up a bargain at Wilko's and be on the end of a mugging with actual bodily harm.

I hope this is sarcasm and not an actual review?

Its from the Daily Mash travel section isnt it?

For our honeymoon, we had a week near Florence and a week in Venice.  The Florence week was spent in a house on a vineyard called Il Pezzatino, just outside Rufina.  The scenery, the food, the wine (oh, yeah, and the wife) everything about that holiday was just perfect.

If, for example, you're someone who likes a bike ride, I daresay it'd be a good area for that, too.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/ilpezzatino.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=hotel-16321-it-rHPjOY3r8E4CRyVrlOhRaQS4271105490%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=e24f6207d63f0014941282a269ecbe4d;dcid=4;dist=0;srfid=6af65136a7b52c6ce0a9beeb37f0e81199fb78b3X1;type=total;ucfs=1&

• 5 weeks later...

Nah. Where did you see that?

Does one visit count as a 'haunting'?

Some Jambo at my work was telling me, they were in the short list so I'm not surprised they won.

One visit only counts as 'haunting' if you get pished & sleep in the pub toilet overnight.

Some Jambo at my work was telling me, they were in the short list so I'm not surprised they won.

One visit only counts as 'haunting' if you get pished & sleep in the pub toilet overnight.

I see they've been nominted but I cant see where they've won.

Nah, we were disappointingly civilised

I see they've been nominted but I cant see where they've won.

Nah, we were disappointingly civilised

He must have inside knowledge or something because I can't find it online either, Scottish new pub of the year isn't exactly The Oscars to be fair.

• 3 years later...

It's maybe a bit out of the way for most on here but I have the need to share my experience yesterday as a warning to others...

...there's been a lot of publicity around the opening of the new V&A gallery in Dundee, so much so, that we decided we'd go and check it out for ourselves. Well what a waste of a day. It was just a big nothing. It reminded me of the opening of The Millennium Dome...and when you got there the cupboard was bare.

So the building from the outside was quite impressive and reminded me a bit of the Museum of Liverpool, very modern in an older landscape, but once inside there was a cafe and a shop squashed into the ground floor, the coffee was molten and the scone rock hard, if you're asking, with a staircase leading to the gallery space above. The gallery space wax 2 rooms, one charging a tenner to see exhibits themed around the age of the great liners and the other a free one, apparently showing a collection of Scottish design pieces. Well, the only access to this gallery was through a small doorway which was being managed to allow only a few in at a time, leading to a great queue which barely moved. We squeezed past the back of the queue to get out through another small door onto quite a nice balcony, stayed there for a few minutes looking at the view, came back inside, looked at the queue for the gallery again and legged it.

And Dundee itself was as sorry a place as I'd remembered it. We'd seen what we wanted and had left by 1.30.

Now, I applaud the idea of regeneration through schemes like this but oh, dear, they're going to need to do better than this to get people into the city and going home with positive impressions

On 7/12/2015 at 10:07 AM, Champ said:

We're just back from a week on/in the North Yorkshire Moors. And it was bloody marvellous. And I thought it would make a good topic for a thread; places, good or bad, you've been that might be of interest to others.

We'd planned to go abroad but couldn't find a full week we could all do together so this was my solution, with Master Champ joining us a couple of days later.

We stayed in a Forest Holidays 'cabin', complete with hot tub, wifi and a full Sky Package and it worked a treat. The site reminded me of my favourite kind of campsite with the only facilities on site being a reception with shop, stocked with a fine selection of local beers as well as the usual stuff and a small cafe, which did delivery to your cabin, and sitting area. I've never been to CentreParcs but they've always sounded too full on for me and this was just the opposite; great accommodation in totally peaceful surroundings. It was Furmedge who said he'd been to CentreParcs and hated it, was it not?

And the area itself is fantastic and whatever people say about Yorkshire folk being miserable is so not true...people couldnt have been more friendly and helpful. And the quality of the food and drink everywhere we went was just great. 

Just back from a few days in North Yorkshire: two nights in Whitby (with a flying visit to Robin Hood's Bay) and one night in Scarborough. 

Beautiful part of the country with really nice people and way too much good food and good beer.

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Just back from a few days in North Yorkshire: two nights in Whitby (with a flying visit to Robin Hood's Bay) and one night in Scarborough. 

Beautiful part of the country with really nice people and way too much good food and good beer.

We’re back in Yorkshire next month. Can’t wait. On your comment, we often wonder what size we’d be if we actually lived there

21 hours ago, Champ said:

It's maybe a bit out of the way for most on here but I have the need to share my experience yesterday as a warning to others...

...there's been a lot of publicity around the opening of the new V&A gallery in Dundee, so much so, that we decided we'd go and check it out for ourselves. Well what a waste of a day. It was just a big nothing. It reminded me of the opening of The Millennium Dome...and when you got there the cupboard was bare.

So the building from the outside was quite impressive and reminded me a bit of the Museum of Liverpool, very modern in an older landscape, but once inside there was a cafe and a shop squashed into the ground floor, the coffee was molten and the scone rock hard, if you're asking, with a staircase leading to the gallery space above. The gallery space wax 2 rooms, one charging a tenner to see exhibits themed around the age of the great liners and the other a free one, apparently showing a collection of Scottish design pieces. Well, the only access to this gallery was through a small doorway which was being managed to allow only a few in at a time, leading to a great queue which barely moved. We squeezed past the back of the queue to get out through another small door onto quite a nice balcony, stayed there for a few minutes looking at the view, came back inside, looked at the queue for the gallery again and legged it.

And Dundee itself was as sorry a place as I'd remembered it. We'd seen what we wanted and had left by 1.30.

Now, I applaud the idea of regeneration through schemes like this but oh, dear, they're going to need to do better than this to get people into the city and going home with positive impressions

They can always beat Celtic to regain the positive headlines once again.