You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF TripAdvisor

Champ

We're just back from a week on/in the North Yorkshire Moors. And it was bloody marvellous. And I thought it would make a good topic for a thread; places, good or bad, you've been that might be of interest to others.

We'd planned to go abroad but couldn't find a full week we could all do together so this was my solution, with Master Champ joining us a couple of days later.

We stayed in a Forest Holidays 'cabin', complete with hot tub, wifi and a full Sky Package and it worked a treat. The site reminded me of my favourite kind of campsite with the only facilities on site being a reception with shop, stocked with a fine selection of local beers as well as the usual stuff and a small cafe, which did delivery to your cabin, and sitting area. I've never been to CentreParcs but they've always sounded too full on for me and this was just the opposite; great accommodation in totally peaceful surroundings. It was Furmedge who said he'd been to CentreParcs and hated it, was it not?

And the area itself is fantastic and whatever people say about Yorkshire folk being miserable is so not true...people couldnt have been more friendly and helpful. And the quality of the food and drink everywhere we went was just great. There is loads to do in the area but handy enough for getting to towns if you need a shopping fix as my kids did, goung to Leeds and work. On their own, so we could do what we wanted. Best of both worlds really.

My reservations about the real TripAdvisor were confirmed with Miss Champ having worried herself silly about the insects having read negative comments before we'd gone.

She also provided one of the funniest moments when we went for a walk in the forest around the site and her brother was winding her up telling her about creatures in the forest taking small children from the site. She was taking this all in and then came out with, 'Well that cant be true because if it was I would have read about it on TripAdvisor!'

As I commented in the Teenage Girl thread, what does go on in her head????

• Upvote 5

We're just back from a week on/in the North Yorkshire Moors. And it was bloody marvellous. And I thought it would make a good topic for a thread; places, good or bad, you've been that might be of interest to others.

We'd planned to go abroad but couldn't find a full week we could all do together so this was my solution, with Master Champ joining us a couple of days later.

We stayed in a Forest Holidays 'cabin', complete with hot tub, wifi and a full Sky Package and it worked a treat. The site reminded me of my favourite kind of campsite with the only facilities on site being a reception with shop, stocked with a fine selection of local beers as well as the usual stuff and a small cafe, which did delivery to your cabin, and sitting area. I've never been to CentreParcs but they've always sounded too full on for me and this was just the opposite; great accommodation in totally peaceful surroundings. It was Furmedge who said he'd been to CentreParcs and hated it, was it not?

And the area itself is fantastic and whatever people say about Yorkshire folk being miserable is so not true...people couldnt have been more friendly and helpful. And the quality of the food and drink everywhere we went was just great. There is loads to do in the area but handy enough for getting to towns if you need a shopping fix as my kids did, goung to Leeds and work. On their own, so we could do what we wanted. Best of both worlds really.

My reservations about the real TripAdvisor were confirmed with Miss Champ having worried herself silly about the insects having read negative comments before we'd gone.

She also provided one of the funniest moments when we went for a walk in the forest around the site and her brother was winding her up telling her about creatures in the forest taking small children from the site. She was taking this all in and then came out with, 'Well that cant be true because if it was I would have read about it on TripAdvisor!'

As I commented in the Teenage Girl thread, what does go on in her head????

Keldy or Cropton?

Some pub recommendations:-

Manchester - Circus Tavern, the smallest bar in Europe, pictures of boxers everywhere, great wee place.

Edinburgh - Star Bar, my favourite place in the whole World.

New York - Jimmy's Corner, proper dive bar next door to Times Square.

Rome - Mr Brown's, cheap as fuck cocktails, hidden away but worth getting lost for.

Glasgow - Horseshoe Bar, proper old school boozer.

Hawick - The Waverley, good luck buying a pint in here if you have a vagina.

• Upvote 1

And if you like your beer, or any other drink, for that matter, and you're in York, not work, as I typed in my OP, dont leave without going to The House of the Trembling Madness, shit website, amazing shop, brewery and pub upstairs, for all things alcoholic

554d741c17c84de01ef5a7035183fcd8.jpg

Organic chocolate stout sounds gipping.

Currently one of Mr Champ's favourite drinks. I'm cant drink a lot of stout but it is really good. There are a few chocolate porters/stouts around and a well worth trying

Guest Pistonbroke

Currently one of Mr Champ's favourite drinks. I'm cant drink a lot of stout but it is really good. There are a few chocolate porters/stouts around and a well worth trying

Well I ain't going to run into these in Germany but I will try one should the chance arise, still sounds gipping. 

I have been around here long enough to know never to take things at face value. Now, spill

Cropton. You?

Been to Keldy two or three times, love it there but not been for a few years as prices have shot up. Still decent value if you have kids but I don't so it's bad value for two. I think when I first went about 6/7 years ago it was £180 for Mon-Fri, it's about three times that now.

Would deffo keep going back if the price was right.

Good idea for a thread this, nice one Champ.

There seem to be plenty of threads started by people looking for recommendations but I couldnt think of a thread for sharing good and bad experiences of trips/visits, so I thought I'd start one

Been to Keldy two or three times, love it there but not been for a few years as prices have shot up. Still decent value if you have kids but I don't so it's bad value for two. I think when I first went about 6/7 years ago it was £180 for Mon-Fri, it's about three times that now.

Would deffo keep going back if the price was right.

It certainly wasnt cheap but as I'd budgetted at least that for going abroad I was prepared to take the hit for what seemed like, and proved to be, a good formula.

I wonder if the prices rose when the Forestry Commission was privatised?

I also think it'd work well for somewhere to meet up with friends but dont know how the bedroom combinations would work out

This idea could be an entire forum on its own. It's a great idea for a thread but not easily searchable. Needs loads of different threads all in one place; ie, Pubs in Liverpool, Gay bars near Bjornebye, etc.

This idea could be an entire forum on its own. It's a great idea for a thread but not easily searchable. Needs loads of different threads all in one place; ie, Pubs in Liverpool, Gay bars near Bjornebye, etc.

I did once suggest the idea of a separate Places to go type forum but it wasnt taken up