You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

It’s a pertinent question I feel. 

It’s the big question. Anyone who is staunchly remain or leave hates Corbyn now but if he came out and unequivocally backed either option he’d lose the other half just like that *clicks fingers*.

And the funniest thing is that both sides seem to refuse to see that. They think that a pivot to their side will solve everything but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

At some point Labour will have to pivot and it will be a massive gamble. It’s all about timing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agreed.

I think Labour had something like 7 million remain voters and 5 million leave voters at the last General Election?

Its pretty obvious why they haven't come out in really strong support of either option.

Which makes it all the more baffling when people on either side spit their dummies out without refusing to accept that the other side even exists.

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

At some point Labour will have to pivot and it will be a massive gamble. It’s all about timing.

It'll probably be once a new Tory leader has been elected. I can see a vote of no confidence motion going in early, maybe with some wheeling and dealing with the Tory factions who've said they will act against their new leader if they actively pursue a no deal Brexit. 

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

And the funniest thing is that both sides seem to refuse to see that. They think that a pivot to their side will solve everything but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

There is a tendency for both sides of the Brexit argument to either pretend that the other side don't exist or just assume that they can be shouted down. 

The whole thing is an absolute shitshow of division and destruction... still, David Cameron's got a new book coming out, so I'm sure that will be super.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It'll probably be once a new Tory leader has been elected. I can see a vote of no confidence motion going in early, maybe with some wheeling and dealing with the Tory factions who've said they will act against their new leader if they actively pursue a no deal Brexit. 

They say that but there’s no way the Tories will bring down their own party. They care far more about self preservation than they do the country.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

They say that but there’s no way the Tories will bring down their own party. They care far more about self preservation than they do the country.

Whereas Labour seem to be happy for us to leave the EU too. Horseshoe. 

29 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agreed.

I think Labour had something like 7 million remain voters and 5 million leave voters at the last General Election?

Its pretty obvious why they haven't come out in really strong support of either option.

Nowhere near - it was 65% to 35% voted remain... 2 out of 3 Labour voters voted Remain

Corbyn's Brexit policy has been a disaster and an obvious policy failure, The sooner it's changed the better. Labour should be showing leadership on this 

Just now, mattyq said:

Nowhere near - it was 65% to 35% voted remain... 2 out of 3 Labour voters voted Remain

Corbyn's Brexit policy has been a disaster and an obvious policy failure, The sooner it's changed the better. Labour should be showing leadership on this 

The policy was set by Conference; it's not "Corbyn's policy".

It's neither a disaster nor an obvious failure. It's still the only sensible Brexit  policy on offer from any party.

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I live in the North East and trust me when I say this, if Labour backs a 2nd referendum they will lose swathes of votes up here for a General Election.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

The policy was set by Conference; it's not "Corbyn's policy".

It's neither a disaster nor an obvious failure. It's still the only sensible Brexit  policy on offer from any party.

Mate, Labour have just got absolutely twatted everywhere.

It's very obviously a shit policy 

2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Mate, Labour have just got absolutely twatted everywhere.

It's very obviously a shit policy 

If their policy was clearer, the results wouldn’t necessarily be any better. It’s just a case of moving votes around.