You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

There some gems on Facebook today: 

Democracy doesn't vote for right and wrong, it votes for what people want. This vote isn't about "winning" or labelling people racists - it's about doing what you think is right for you.

People repeat what they hear, it's an evolutionary quirk widely studied (ref: http://www.spring.org.uk/2010/12/the-illusion-of-truth.php).

Truth doesn't matter because a wide number of people assumed by "voting=close enough to fairness/correctness" don't have a real clue on realities proportions due to an incomplete suspension of mathematical comprehension in the public due to lack of education and innocent stupidity (ref: http://www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/what-issue).

Continued lack of investment into improving the bottom 25% income brackets mathematical comprehension isn't there, simply making them stay more than averagely detached, their thoughts from truths, truths that they could otherwise tangibly notice with a better internal connect between evidence and what it mathematically means... the general ability to use data (ref: https://www.jrf.org.uk/…/…/jrf/migrated/files/1859350909.pdf).

Emotions lead us all, and remember that 50% of us by definition will have a below average skill in any task (ref: http://westsidetoastmasters.com/…/laws_persuasi…/chap14.html).

So why convince the knowledgeable or reasonable, when politicians can advertise enough to those not really listening or even able to comprehend evidence and win due to our basic monkey architecture and have spent the public's money the wisest? In addition of those actually listening, some will choose one side or another anyway.

So, no. It's about doing what they think is right for you (or your geographical majority). 

Whether we end up in or out I for one will be glad when this is over.

It's been everything wrong about modern Politics and Media turned up to 11, a massively complex issue boiled down to loads of misinformation from both sides and has generally been a massive shit show all round.

The whole thing has been thoroughly depressing. 

• Upvote 5

Found on Facebook, made me laugh: 

friday's going to be amazing! i'm going to wake up in my Union Jack jim-jams to the sound of a squadron of Spitfires racing overhead and leaving a trail of hot buttered crumpets behind them

I'll run to the corner shop past all the british children who are laughing and squealing with excitement as they make a beautiful statue of the queen out of happy wriggling bulldog puppies - with two corgis for her eyebrows!

bunting flutters everywhere and the man from the betting shop steps into the street - "guess what! England just won the World Cup & The Ashes & The Grand National and here's the best bit - Boris put a bet on it for everyone! you're all MILLIONAIRES!!!"

the red arrows fly overhead dropping fish and chips as i walk into the corner shop, get my morning paper and go to the counter. "how much please?" i say to the asian lad there. "1 pence, everything in the whole shop now costs just 1p!" he laughs, "leave it on the counter, i'm off back to pakistan - we all are!"

and he's right! outside in the streets jolly old nigel farage is leading a huge crowd of happy foreigners - turks, poles, romanians, syrians - there's even a few English people with heavy suntans mixed up in there! nigel's playing Rule Britannia on a long pipe, rather like the pipe that takes the gas into your oven, and they're all following and smiling and talking foreign, bless them!

just then boris flies overhead in a concorde made of Bank of England gold - "don't worry!" he laughs "I've cut out all the bits the French made!" and with that he crashes into the ground at 1200 miles an hour, along with the economy, the country and all the dozy nostalgic foreigner-fearing fuckwits who fell for his bullshit.

grow up. wake up.

IN

Whether we end up in or out I for one will be glad when this is over.

It's been everything wrong about modern Politics and Media turned up to 11, a massively complex issue boiled down to loads of misinformation from both sides and has generally been a massive shit show all round.

The whole thing has been thoroughly depressing. 

Couldn't agree more with this.

Most of the final opinion polls are coming out, with just the IPSOS one to come. All of the reputable polling agencies have remain with around a 6 to 8 point lead.

Also, apparently £49m has been staked on the leave/remain betting markets with £38m of that being wagered on remain.

It's pointing to remain, although the unpredicted Tory majority in the last GE are a warning against putting too much faith in opinion polls.

I popped into my polling station this morning around half ten. It was disconcerting to see so many coffin dodgers turning out to vote. I don't think they're voting remain.

I popped into my polling station this morning around half ten. It was disconcerting to see so many coffin dodgers turning out to vote. I don't think they're voting remain.

That's my worry too. That the older generation will vote leave because they don't give two shits about the wider population.

Guest Pistonbroke

That's my worry too. That the older generation will vote leave because they don't give two shits about the wider population.

You mean "Leave." 

Surely they give two shits about their family though.

My Grandpa asked me how I wanted him to vote prior to the Scottish Independence referendum, he said that the vote was for us, our children & our grandchildren rather than for his generation, I would like to think a percentage of older people are as considerate as he was.

Probably not though.

• Upvote 1

Why are there no exit polls being done today?

From The Independent :

there will be no exit poll published at 10pm when voting in the EU referendum closes because the broadcasters have no way of knowing how accurate it would be.

Prof Curtice and his team couldn’t do what they usually do, because the last referendum to compare todays with was 41 years ago – and there wasn’t an exit poll then. There is, therefore, no baseline against which to measure how people have voted this time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-exit-poll-who-has-won-remain-leave-brexit-live-updates-a7094886.html

• Upvote 1

Surely they give two shits about their family though.

My Grandpa asked me how I wanted him to vote prior to the Scottish Independence referendum, he said that the vote was for us, our children & our grandchildren rather than for his generation, I would like to think a percentage of older people are as considerate as he was.

Probably not though.

The majority are not. I don't want to generalise, but sod it, I'm going to.

They benefited from increased house building but now want to stop as apparently Britain would be ruined with more.

They clog up the NHS but are sure it's the fault of health migrants.

They're happy for child support to be cut because of a few mums with a billion kids but would stage a grey revolt should pensions be touched.

They're sure their success has been built on their own generation's unquestionable work ethic, rather than being the result of a post-war boom in housing, increased social mobility and those lower down the ladder being kicked.

I'm sure there are lots of nice old people who genuinely care about others, but all I've seen thus far is an overwhelming level of self-interest dressed up as concern for the country as a whole. It's a stasis mentality, looking for the comfort of the world to stop changing.

* Obviously not including Stringy in this rabidly offensive generalisation

• Upvote 3