You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Klopp another Rodgers?

JohnnyH

I also would like Rodgers to stay.  Some of the football we played last year was the best I've seen at this club for a long time, unlucky with injuries this.  Yes we can argue about poor signings all day long, yes I think we need a big strong DM and yes he has been tactically naive in big games (park the bus, get a point fight again another day) but I think we need to stick with him.

Klopp?  Did wonders at Dortmund, won things, club and fans adore him...but why do all their best players want to leave if he's so great to work for?

Pluses and minuses for everyone but I think Rodgers has shown enough to be given time.

Money. They pay around half of what we do.

Their wage bill was £68 million at the end of 2014. Lower than QPRs.

• Upvote 2

Our best players want to leave , have done for years with the exception of Gerrard.

The best opportunity to sign decent players on the back of a great season was wasted, That's not something to gloss over , it's unforgivable and how the fuck is he going to turn it around in this next window given the clubs much worse position ? I see no way forward with Rodgers

Valid argument and if the decisions were his I would agree, he has to go. I'm just not certain he got what he wanted and if not, why not?

Money. They pay around half of what we do.

Their wage bill was £68 million at the end of 2014. Lower than QPRs.

The killer for us. Man u's teenage left back is reportedly on twice most of our top earners, no surprise they want to leave. Using the same logic, would our best players want to stay under Klopp? The answer has to be no.

I'm just not sure Klopp has significant edge to warrant change and there are other areas of the running of the club which would bring greater rewards.

Do you consider Klopp to be a good manager? He certainly hasn't negated the loss of Lewandowski at Dortmund.

People overlook the fact that Klopp had already successfully replaced Dortmund’s best striker twice prior to Lewandowski’s departure.

When he arrived at the club, Alexander Frei was their top scorer. A year later, Frei was replaced by Lucas Barrios (bought from Colo Colo for £3.7m), who went on fire them to the league title in 2010/11. The following season Barrios suffered a horrible loss of form – he didn’t score a league goal until the start of February and managed only three more before the end of the campaign – but Dortmund still managed to do the double because Lewandowski stepped into the breach.

As others have already pointed out, Klopp also replaced Sahin with Gundogan (at a decent profit, even though they only got £8m for Sahin) and Kagawa with Reus.

And if Zorc is to be given the credit for buying Lewandowski, Barrios, Reus, Gundogan et al, then surely he also has to be held responsible for the disappointing buys the club made last summer.

• Upvote 3

Valid argument and if the decisions were his I would agree, he has to go. I'm just not certain he got what he wanted and if not, why not?

The killer for us. Man u's teenage left back is reportedly on twice most of our top earners, no surprise they want to leave. Using the same logic, would our best players want to stay under Klopp? The answer has to be no.

I'm just not sure Klopp has significant edge to warrant change and there are other areas of the running of the club which would bring greater rewards.

Its a whole load of difference not being able to compete with Championship clubs on wages and being in the top 10 of all football clubs worldwide in terms of wages paid.

The Manc left back is on 100k a week, same as the contract Henderson signed. How is that double our top earners? We have a right back on a similar wage.

You may not like Klopp but he has proved that he is a good manager with the silverware he has won.

You may think he doesnt have enough to take us back to the top but the excuse of not being able to keep players is a weak one.

We should have then taken advantage of a Utd (suffered under Moyes) and Arsenal who underperformed after Christmas last season, possibly Chelsea and City who were undergoing their own crises last season. We were a good team with an outstanding forward line. Why didn't we take advantage? I wish we'd been as clever as Dortmund.

Winning the league when the only big team in it underperforms and your closest competition is Bayer Leverkusen is far easier than doing so when 1 or 2 of 4 financial juggernauts underperform and you still have to overcome 2 or 3 of the most expensively assembled squads in the history of club football. That's why Dortmund, Stuttgart, Weder Bremen and Wolfsburg have all been able to win the Bundesliga in the last decade or so, without significant investment, whereas only 2 teams that were bankrolled by billionaires have been able to break Man Utd's dominance of the Premier League. If we had won the title last year (which we were a kick away from doing), it would have blown either of Klopp's league wins completely out of the water in terms of managerial achievement.

If Bayern Munich had imploded this year then you'd all be wanking yourself into a frenzy over the genius of whichever one of Dieter Hecking, Lucien Favre or Roger Schmidt managed to capitalise. Tottenham can throw all the money in the world hiring people like Ramos or AVB (2 men who were Klopp before Klopp) and spending massive fees on highly regarded players like Lamela and Eriksen, but it's unthinkable to believe they could ever win the league in the current financial climate, despite having vastly superior resources and a squad worth hundreds of millions of pounds more than their German equivalent.

• Upvote 2

Winning the league when the only big team in it underperforms and your closest competition is Bayer Leverkusen is far easier than doing so when 1 or 2 of 4 financial juggernauts underperform and you still have to overcome 2 or 3 of the most expensively assembled squads in the history of club football.

Yeah, but if two of those financial juggernauts under-perform, as they have this season, you need to be able to take advantage and get in the top 4, not be slugging it out with southampton.

By the same token how many years would it take Dortmund to spend what Rodgers has? How much has Klopp spent in 7 years? Less than £215m Rodgers has spent in 3? He's also lost several of his best players in that time because Dortmund are not a big money club.

What's the excuse for being outplayed by the likes of Basle and Besiktas in Europe? Teams with fractions of our budget and Rodgers getting well out-thought by the likes of Billic and Sousa.

Not understanding how the use of one off matches to dismiss discussions about budget differences is fucking idiotic is about to become an autoneg.

I'm physically pained by it now.

Yeah, but if two of those financial juggernauts under-perform, as they have this season, you need to be able to take advantage and get in the top 4, not be slugging it out with southampton.

Yes, we should have done better this season, and Dortmund should have done far better this season, but Klopp gets all the credit in the world for beating Usain Bolt in a 100m sprint in which he fell over, whereas Rodgers receives no credit at all for beating 3 out of 4 members of the Kenyan 10,000m team and being narrowly edged out by the 4th.

I refuse to accept that when Ba pulled his leg back to shoot at the end of last season, you could have frozen time and said "if this misses, Brendan Rodgers is one of the greatest managers on earth but if it goes in he's a shit, useless cunt." The impression I get from this thread is that if Shevchenko had buried his pen against us in Istanbul and Milan had gone on to win, it would have made Rafa a far worse manager, and if Terry hadn't slipped in the shootout in Moscow and Chelsea had won, it would have made Avram Grant a far better one. Those are the incredibly narrow margins that separate the wild extremes of TLW's assessment of managers.

• Upvote 4

Yes, we should have done better this season, and Dortmund should have done far better this season, but Klopp gets all the credit in the world for beating Usain Bolt in a 100m sprint in which he fell over, whereas Rodgers receives no credit at all for beating 3 out of 4 members of the Kenyan 10,000m team and being narrowly edged out by the 4th.

I refuse to accept that when Ba pulled his leg back to shoot at the end of last season, you could have frozen time and said "if this misses, Brendan Rodgers is one of the greatest managers on earth but if it goes in he's a shit, useless cunt." The impression I get from this thread is that if Shevchenko had buried his pen against us in Istanbul and Milan had gone on to win, it would have made Rafa a far worse manager, and if Terry hadn't slipped in the shootout in Moscow and Chelsea had won, it would have made Avram Grant a far better one. Those are the incredibly narrow margins that separate the wild extremes of TLW's assessment of managers.

If my Aunt had balls etc.........

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Managing incredibly narrow margins is what separates out managers though.

Yes, we should have done better this season, and Dortmund should have done far better this season, but Klopp gets all the credit in the world for beating Usain Bolt

Klopp's having hist first poor season in 7 years yet BVB in much better league will probably still finish on higher place than us, and they play in the cup final too. Also, your description does not make any fucking sense mate.