You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grammar

rb14

Just now, Captain Willard said:

Yes probably. It’s an inexorable rule of life that if you comment on other people’s grammar, you will make a grammatical error. The universe insists. Every time. 

I probably shouldn't be pointing out that there should also be one in the first sentence of this, then.

20 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I probably shouldn't be pointing out that there should also be one in the first sentence of this, then.

Commas are a nightmare. I think everybody gets them wrong at least some of the time.

I can’t see why you are putting one in front of “….of this, then”. 

There are 8 rules here ;

https://www.iue.edu/student-success/coursework/commas.html

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Commas are a nightmare. I think everybody gets them wrong at least some of the time.

There are 8 rules here ;

No.6 is my favourite. 

John, you are a fucktard. 

• Upvote 1

My uncle was an English teacher and in the early days of texting he wouldn't answer his two children unless they spelt, punctuated etc properly. I think they wore him down over the years.

One of his favourites was "You can but you may not" (When someone asked "Can I go to the toilet?")

6 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I posted this in the Cat kicking thread to complain about the “retired” euphemism but worth repeating. No capital T in the second sentence, a gap before the full stop and it should probably be a comma anyway. Horrific. 4E58E212-AA82-4308-B0FF-7B54DCCBE2EB.jpeg

Don't know where to start on that fucker. The first two lines "...in size (missing comma) is more then reflected in what il gains in flavour." And please, "Scottish Fx Dairy" (sic) should of course be hyphenated: ex-dairy. I'm not reading any further; it's too upsetting. 

In the "Subs" thread over on the *f, @Arnaud stated he'd "...been a  big fan of Davies’s writing for years." He's talking about Dave Usher. Davies's. *Shakes head. I nearly died. 

7 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I was once correcting the written grammar of a young person in my team and she said “the thing is Michael, for my generation this sort of stuff is more a matter of personal preference”. You would have liked her no doubt. 

“I prefer my meaning to be unclear or even erroneously communicated”. OK, dickhead; you embrace your ignorance. 

I blame the fucking teachers. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I was once correcting the written grammar of a young person in my team and she said “the thing is Michael, for my generation this sort of stuff is more a matter of personal preference”. You would have liked her no doubt. 

To be fair, she probably didn't feel secure enough in her job to call you a boring bastard.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

To be fair, she probably didn't feel secure enough in her job to call you a boring bastard.

Yes but she was drafting stuff that was going out to potential investors in the company so her self proclaimed  “it’s my personal choice” approach to grammar wasn’t fully appreciated by the rest of us. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont know. I think people get a bit too hung up on that well know grammar lady, miss pelling, the occasional missing or misplaced apostrophe and no paragraphs etc.

Yeah, a wall of text with no punctuation is very hard on the eye never mind to actually read but some people on here are like your old English teacher, just looking for errors.

Guess what, Im not a fucking typist and I only got English O level and CSE. Just chill the fuck out.

Haha, thanks Dockers! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Yes but she was drafting stuff that was going out to potential investors in the company so her self proclaimed  “it’s my personal choice” approach to grammar wasn’t fully appreciated by the rest of us. 

Ah well, there is not a hole big enough for her then.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Some dumb bint in my team wants everyone to use capital letters at the start of every word when it come to sales orders.

Told her that i will never shout via the written word at my clients and that....oh just fuck off!

Daft Useless Moronic Braindead Baffling Inexplicable Negotiating Tactic.

She asks for too much.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

There are 8 rules here ;

I have to disagree with the comma police. I was always taught not to use a comma before and. Apples, peaches and bananas not apples, peaches, and bananas.

• Upvote 1