You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Classic 4th round ties

Stickman

As it's the 4th Round coming up thought maybe it good time to put some youtube clips of the reds in action in the 4th round (hopefully can do it every round)

Starting with a clip that will still upset some very old blues from 1955 when we were in the 2nd division and the blues were in the 1st (as if you have never heard and it's never been mentioned the Blues have played more top flight games than anyone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMfV3b58Xc

And one from 1976 which I can vaguely remember being flashed across the screen on Grandstand late on and led to a hatred of Roger Davis evermore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBHln76AHg

• Upvote 1

The only ones that really stick in the memory for me are defeats. Mancs in 99 doing a Bayern Munich on us, Chelsea in 97 coming back and beating us from 2-0 down, and Brighton in 1984. Couldn't believe that one, second year in a row they knocked us out, and after they'd been relegated as well. Spawny quadruple-ruining bastards.

• Upvote 1

The 4th round has been a bit of a graveyard for us if my memory serves me right.

The manc and Chelsea defeats are ones that stick out for me too, I actually threw a table over in a pub when Beckham's free kick went in. Oh to be young and daft again.

The 4th round has been a bit of a graveyard for us if my memory serves me right.

The manc and Chelsea defeats are ones that stick out for me too, I actually threw a table over in a pub when Beckham's free kick went in. Oh to be young and daft again.

Was Yorke and Solskjaer that scored the goals I think.

The 4th round has been a bit of a graveyard for us if my memory serves me right.The manc and Chelsea defeats are ones that stick out for me too, I actually threw a table over in a pub when Beckham's free kick went in. Oh to be young and daft again.

Was Yorke and Solskjaer that scored the goals I think.

Yeah it was. Yorke's equaliser came from a Beckham free kick which should never have been awarded, maybe that's what you're thinking of Mook. I can remember lip-reading Redknapp saying "what was that for?" to the ref.

I drove to the pub for that game and didn't drink, went straight outside at the final whistle and booted the fuck out of my car bumper. Didn't help that I was pretty much on my tod in a pub full of Manc fans.

Yeah it was. Yorke's equaliser came from a Beckham free kick which should never have been awarded, maybe that's what you're thinking of Mook. I can remember lip-reading Redknapp saying "what was that for?" to the ref.

I drove to the pub for that game and didn't drink, went straight outside at the final whistle and booted the fuck out of my car bumper. Didn't help that I was pretty much on my tod in a pub full of Manc fans.

That sounds right, my mate who doesn't care about Football turned round to me just before he took the free kick and said it was going to be fine and I completely lost the plot when it went in. I've never watched it since and for some reason remembered the free kick going straight in.

Horrible.

That sounds right, my mate who doesn't care about Football turned round to me just before he took the free kick and said it was going to be fine and I completely lost the plot when it went in. I've never watched it since and for some reason remembered the free kick going straight in.

Horrible.

Beckham played it in to the back post, Cole had a free header and nodded it back across goal, Yorke was completely unmarked in the six yard box and had a tap in. Awful defending, par for the course at the time though.

It was great seeing the mancs shit it when Carrol was warming up and the Kop was going clap - clap - clap -clap -clap - clap - clap - clap - clap - Dalglish ! Then he comes on and nods it down for the ginger sex lord, and it's goodnight cockholsters. Oh, and Suarez going full teeth in the stands. Good times. 

Sorry Stickman, I know that post wasn't really in the spirit of the thread, but nobody was replying and I felt a bit sorry for you.

Cheers for the sympathy Neil I was starting to get a bit paranoid....

Anyway here's a classic from the 88 classic team and maybe my favourite John Barnes goal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTnMJ6WzWY4

And another from 92 when we somehow managed to win the thing after seeming to struggle through nearly every round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzTPGusjxE

• Upvote 3

That Villa video another example of how great the FA cup games atmospheres often were in the 80's before tv kick off times, the premier league money and the champions league came along and destroyed it as a competition.

FA cup trips and especially the semis at neutral grounds were highlights of the season. Anyone not old enough to remember go and youtube the 85 semi against the Mancs at the pit...a stunning atmosphere

• Upvote 2

I remember standing on the Kop against Derby the night we lifted our last League Championship trophy in 1990... and feeling quite devastated that we weren't going to be playing in the FA Cup Final at Wembley against Manchester United two Saturdays later.

A sign of how much I took our success for granted at the time, perhaps, but also of how great and important the FA Cup was (to me) in those days.

The showpiece, and of course, part of the magical "Double".

I was at that game at Derby ( If I remember right I had been to the Baseball Ground to see them beat Everton in the 3rd round that year as well - free trip offered and not that big a deal back then )

The thing that mainly occurs to me was how the hell my mum & dad let me go on my own on a Football Special when I was only 15 or so, football hooliganism was at its height and there was no way of getting in touch with them if there was a problem. Different times indeed.