You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't fathom why grown adults are overanalysing Star Wars, which are essentially kids/family films. I'm a big fan of the original films, but they are what they are.

It's still a film though and fundamentally it should make sense. I think Star Wars tries to be too clever for its own good at times, it would be better off keeping things simple.

• Upvote 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't fathom why grown adults are overanalysing Star Wars, which are essentially kids/family films.

Yeah. I’ve no problem with people analysing them but, for me, it’s just classic popcorn flick. Two hours of mindless escapism.

I even rewatched the prequels when TFA came out and found them enjoyable enough. TFA itself isn’t eminently rewatchable, but I imagine it will be in a few years when it’s not so fresh in the memory.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't fathom why grown adults are overanalysing Star Wars, which are essentially kids/family films. I'm a big fan of the original films, but they are what they are.

I agree to an extent.

I’m a massive fan but can see what it is, it’s two or so hours of entertainment.

Some fans are calling for Rian Johnson to never be allowed to make another film again/walking out of screenings in anger because it didn’t go the direction they had in their heads the last two years since The Force Awakens. Get a grip for fucks sake.

I feel the same about people who have boycotted the films since Disney took over that want to remind everyone on a regular basis they aren’t watching them. It’s boring as fuck.

Regardless of what’s happened with your favourite characters from your childhood it’s only a film. Felt the same about The Phantom Menace, take it for what it is.

I personally can’t wait to sit down and watch the films with my kids (if we’re lucky to have some). That’s what Star Wars is to me, an experience most people share.

(Attack of the Clones can fuck off though)

• Upvote 1

Finally got to watch it tonight.

Really enjoyed it felt a bit long in parts.

My kids loved it.

I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive before watching reading on here about what some people made of it.

For me thats what going the cinema is all about getting entertained for a couple of hours.

Not to Marvel it isn't. Marvel is the biggest film franchise, grossing almost twice that of Star Wars franchise. Even when you talk about average per film, it's still more. Star Wars is huge, with some of their newest films out selling Marvel, but it certainly stands to reason that if they'll do it for Star Wars, they'd do it for Marvel films. Which they don't, obviously; one slip and their reputation would be in the gutter.

You are comparing moneys made today with movies made in the 70's, the star wars universe has made around 40 billions since it started, and that was without the instant super mega media that is today, if they are going to pump out star wars movies out like they have done with the marvel ones, im sure it will surpass it easily, if they dont do another fuck up like The Last Jedi. 

Finally got to watch it tonight.

Really enjoyed it felt a bit long in parts.

My kids loved it.

I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive before watching reading on here about what some people made of it.

For me thats what going the cinema is all about getting entertained for a couple of hours.

I can never understand people saying they enjoyed a film but thought it was too long. Personally, if I like something, I want to last for as long as possible.

You are comparing moneys made today with movies made in the 70's, the star wars universe has made around 40 billions since it started, and that was without the instant super mega media that is today, if they are going to pump out star wars movies out like they have done with the marvel ones, im sure it will surpass it easily, if they dont do another fuck up like The Last Jedi. 

You're passing your opinion off as fact.

I agree to an extent.

I’m a massive fan but can see what it is, it’s two or so hours of entertainment.

Some fans are calling for Rian Johnson to never be allowed to make another film again/walking out of screenings in anger because it didn’t go the direction they had in their heads the last two years since The Force Awakens. Get a grip for fucks sake.

I feel the same about people who have boycotted the films since Disney took over that want to remind everyone on a regular basis they aren’t watching them. It’s boring as fuck.

Regardless of what’s happened with your favourite characters from your childhood it’s only a film. Felt the same about The Phantom Menace, take it for what it is.

I personally can’t wait to sit down and watch the films with my kids (if we’re lucky to have some). That’s what Star Wars is to me, an experience most people share.

(Attack of the Clones can fuck off though)

It’s 2 or so hours of entertainment to you. Surely you can see that to some people it isn’t that. It’s like someone who isn’t interested in footb*** saying to you why are you kicking off about it it’s 2 hours of entertainment. To some people it clearly is that to others it isn’t. If you’re happy it entertained you on that level then I don’t think anyone is going to argue with you but if you or someone else does want to go deeper as lots have then surely you can see the things they are pissed off about. It’s all quite reasonable.

It’s the greatest sci fi series of films ever made. I think most people who aren’t happy aren’t saying Rian Johnson shouldn’t be allowed to make films or he should have stuck to a strict guideline on how he should have made the film. What they (and I) are saying is the story he has come up with is absolutely horrific to anyone invested in the story and characters. There’s so many clear errors and laughable decisions which do have an impact on the gravity of the events depicted in the earlier films. I cannot believe that Disney has given him free reign to make this story. It’s no surprise to see that both Hamill and Ridley had issues with the plot to the point they had to raise them with Johnson and also that he’s been fucked off and replaced for the next film. God knows what travesty he would have made of the story having had 2 films to work with.

The thing is if he wrote a plot whereby the emperor came back from death and was really nice and Luke found out it was actually the emperor that was his dad and Obi-Wan was the baddie all along but the film was actually really well made and fun for 2 hours you would probably be making the argument I and a lot of other people are making about this film. The thing for you is you can’t see that this plot crossed the line for a lot of people regardless of how good the film as an experience was. Your line and a lot of people in this thread is obviously a lot further along than mine but you shouldn’t just dismiss that people can’t have a line where the plot actually ruins the film.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It’s 2 or so hours of entertainment to you. Surely you can see that to some people it isn’t that. It’s like someone who isn’t interested in footb*** saying to you why are you kicking off about it it’s 2 hours of entertainment. To some people it clearly is that to others it isn’t. If you’re happy it entertained you on that level then I don’t think anyone is going to argue with you but if you or someone else does want to go deeper as lots have then surely you can see the things they are pissed off about. It’s all quite reasonable.

It’s the greatest sci fi series of films ever made. I think most people who aren’t happy aren’t saying Rian Johnson shouldn’t be allowed to make films or he should have stuck to a strict guideline on how he should have made the film. What they (and I) are saying is the story he has come up with is absolutely horrific to anyone invested in the story and characters. There’s so many clear errors and laughable decisions which do have an impact on the gravity of the events depicted in the earlier films. I cannot believe that Disney has given him free reign to make this story. It’s no surprise to see that both Hamill and Ridley had issues with the plot to the point they had to raise them with Johnson and also that he’s been fucked off and replaced for the next film. God knows what travesty he would have made of the story having had 2 films to work with.

The thing is if he wrote a plot whereby the emperor came back from death and was really nice and Luke found out it was actually the emperor that was his dad and Obi-Wan was the baddie all along but the film was actually really well made and fun for 2 hours you would probably be making the argument I and a lot of other people are making about this film. The thing for you is you can’t see that this plot crossed the line for a lot of people regardless of how good the film as an experience was. Your line and a lot of people in this thread is obviously a lot further along than mine but you shouldn’t just dismiss that people can’t have a line where the plot actually ruins the film.

Mate, you're getting wound up over a film. Have some neg.

It’s a massive thing for me. I read all the books outside of the films but I see it for what each new release is, someone else’s vision and how they have interpreted their own meaning to what this series of films is.

Not dismissing people’s opinions but see the next film and make a call on it that way. TLJ could massively enrich the series from what it’s set up moving forward.

When The Empire Strikes back came out it was panned by audiences and critics alike as it took a darker direction, now people consider that to be the model everyone else should follow. This film didn’t in a way and some people aren’t happy.

Rian Johnson wasn’t fucked off from Episode 9, Colin Trevorrow was and JJ Abrams is back to direct as a result. Rian Johnson is back to direct the new trilogy after Episode 9.

It’s the middle of a trilogy where more information is going to be given on what’s come before, not the end of the world.

It’s just a series of films after all. Nothing more nothing less.

Bits on Empire for some perspective taken from

another forum.

Luke getting pasted by the wampa

Kenobi is a bloody ghost?!

Threepio comical scenes embarrassing.

Luke and Leia kiss

Space slug

Vader video call choking

Kermit the frog Jedi master

Kenobi made to be a liar

No proper ending?

• Upvote 1

The originals are among my favourite films ever and they spawned an extended universe that was a big part of my childhood. Classic nerd rage, really. 

It’s the greatest sci fi series of films ever made.

I think this is the issue. Aside from me disagreeing strongly with that statement, I think what is happening here is punishment for lack of continuity. Fans seem to want the same film rehashed time and again, with total vibes of their original films. Fuck that. It'd bore most people to tears. Storytelling and filmmaking has moved on - for the better - since the original three films. Thank fuck.

Sorry Juniper that was in response to Tony which I’m guessing he realised. I read a lot of the books myself over the years. I think Timothy Zahn’s trilogy would have been a good basis for the sequels but I could understand them not following the expanded universe ideas because of the difficulty in turning it into a blockbuster series. I just think what they’ve come up is just nowhere near as good. I’m only 32 so I wasn’t arounf when Empire came out so maybe you’re right. I just can’t see it at the moment though. As I said earlier I enjoyed the experience of the film I just thought the plot was poor which I think is the thing that has made Star Wars great in my opinion.

Tony - I’m not that wound up, it’s just an opinion. I am bothered about it obviously but I’m not screaming at a player level wound up!

• Upvote 1

I think this is the issue. Aside from me disagreeing strongly with that statement, I think what is happening here is punishment for lack of continuity. Fans seem to want the same film rehashed time and again, with total vibes of their original films. Fuck that. It'd bore most people to tears. Storytelling and filmmaking has moved on - for the better - since the original three films. Thank fuck.

I addressed that earlier mate. I actually don’t want that. I would have been happy for various mad plot lines to happen had the characters stayed in tune with the people they actually are and the Republic/Rebellion had been in a better position because they had basically wiped out the two biggest baddies in the universe. In fact the exact thing I wanted was the opposite of the original trilogy.

Give me a storyline about a baddie having the rebellion off from an unsuspecting position. I know it sounds like semantics but the storyline they’ve used feels like the exact thing you’re saying they haven’t done. They’ve got the rebellion on its last legs fighting against the empire despite the massive success they’ve had in destroying a Death Star which they funnily enough just did a similar thing in the force awakens.

A different film could and should have been new jedis training and becoming good and bad dealing with the fallout of a Wild West situation due to the fall of the empire. Nothing like the original trilogy or the prequels. It just feels like they’ve expected a talented filmmaker to come up with a good story and completely missed that he may not be good at that part of making a film. What he’s done with so many characters in this film is mind boggling because it makes it so difficult for the next film to go anywhere with them because he’s either killed them off for shock value or he’s bored you into not really caring what happens to them.

• Upvote 3