You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Signings under Rodgers

Pureblood

Thought I would have a look at who we've signed under Rodgers and categorise them in terms of impact made since joining. 

Successes

Daniel Sturridge

Jury's Out

Joe Allen - too injury prone

Simon Mignolet

Philippe Coutinho - brilliant on his day but severely lacking consistency

Mamdou Sakho 

Samed Yesil - I know nothing about this player

Teixeira - ditto

Tiago Ilori - ditto

Flop

Fabio Borini - might get a chance to redeem himself?

Luis Alberto

Iago Aspas

Oussama Assaidi

Aly Cissokho

Too early to tell 

Rickie Lambert - slow start, needs a goal

Adam Lallana - slow start, needs match fitness

Emre Can - ditto

Lazar Markovic

Dejan Lovren 

Divick Origi 

Javier Manquillo 

Alberto Moreno 

Mario Balotelli

Loan Signings

Nuri Sahin - flop

Victor Moses - flop

You can't categorise...

Kolo Toure

• Upvote 2

Aly Cissokho was a loan signing by the way.

Also, it kind of looks like you started a thread with the intention of picking apart the club's transfer strategy under Rodgers, only to find that you have to sit on the fence with the vast majority of the players because it's too early to tell whether they're a success or not.

Aly Cissokho was a loan signing by the way.

Also, it kind of looks like you started a thread with the intention of picking apart the club's transfer strategy under Rodgers, only to find that you have to sit on the fence with the vast majority of the players because it's too early to tell whether they're a success or not.

So he was but it's too late to rectify now, the damage is done.

It's not picking it apart as such, I'm open minded as to whether it proves to be successful or not.  I don't know how many of the ones there are question marks over will be here for the long term but thought it merited discussion.   I'm fully behind Rodgeball. 

Under Rodgers should also read our stupid Transfer Committee

bringing in scouts from Man City was hardly a great start to the committee's creation.  Maybe we should be looking to bring in scouts from bundesliga, portuguese or dutch clubs as they seem to be the ones unearthing the best talent from around the globe

• Upvote 1

Phillipe Coutinho is a huge success no matter what way you look at it, Joe Allen is a success as well. 

Coutinho is the one I had trouble deciding the most over.  I would say initially he was a success, but an erratic second season coupled with a slow start this season means he's no longer a guaranteed starter in the first XI.  If there was a cup final tomorrow with everyone fit would Coutinho start?  I'm not sure he would. 

As for Allen, for me he hasn't started enough games to justify the outlay on him.   He's a good player but injuries hold him back.  

Why don't you start a thread on the improvements Rodger's has made to the players he already had? like taking Sterling from a 17 year old academy player, to England's best player in two years. Or the fact that Gerrard had the 2nd best season of his career last year, or taking Flanagan from what looked like a league two player to England' s first choice right back when fit, or Henderson from a headless chicken to one of the best box to box midfielders in the league.

• Upvote 2

Coutinho is the one I had trouble deciding the most over.  I would say initially he was a success, but an erratic second season coupled with a slow start this season means he's no longer a guaranteed starter in the first XI.  If there was a cup final tomorrow with everyone fit would Coutinho start?  I'm not sure he would. 

As for Allen, for me he hasn't started enough games to justify the outlay on him.   He's a good player but injuries hold him back.  

So, by this bizarre reasoning, anyone who isn't in our best starting XI cannot be a successful signing? You believe there's no such thing as a good squad player?

Why were you unable to categorise Kolo Toure? He is a footballer that was signed during Brendan Rodgers' management, just like all the others you've so carefully assessed. 

Was he a success? No.  Was he a flop? No, he was cheap and ultimately helped us qualify for the CL.  Was he a loan sigining? No.  Is the jury out?  No.  You just can't nail him down. 

Why don't you start a thread on the improvements Rodger's has made to the players he already had? like taking Sterling from a 17 year old academy player, to England's best player in two years. Or the fact that Gerrard had the 2nd best season of his career last year, or taking Flanagan from what looked like a league two player to England' s first choice right back when fit, or Henderson from a headless chicken to one of the best box to box midfielders in the league.

You have a point about Rodgers' development of those players, but you didn't have to incorrectly criticize their previous performances in order to make that point. 

So, by this bizarre reasoning, anyone who isn't in our best starting XI cannot be a successful signing? You believe there's no such thing as a good squad player?

No, that's not what I said you're putting words in my mouth there.  

There can be good squad players, yes.  I guess I should have put that as a category although there aren't any obvious ones which spring to mind signed in the Rodgers era.