You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Signings under Rodgers

Pureblood

No, that's not what I said you're putting words in my mouth there.  

There can be good squad players, yes.  I guess I should have put that as a category although there aren't any obvious ones which spring to mind signed in the Rodgers era.  

A creative player who only cost around £8m that made a significant contribution to a team that nearly won the league title would surely constitute a success?

Why don't you start a thread on the improvements Rodger's has made to the players he already had? like taking Sterling from a 17 year old academy player, to England's best player in two years. Or the fact that Gerrard had the 2nd best season of his career last year, or taking Flanagan from what looked like a league two player to England' s first choice right back when fit, or Henderson from a headless chicken to one of the best box to box midfielders in the league.

As I said I'm fully behind Rodgeball.  I like him and want his signings to be successful.

A creative player who only cost around £8m that made a significant contribution to a team that nearly won the league title would surely constitute a success?

You'd have thought so, but do you think he'll stay in the team if he carries on like this?  I just think people (and I include myself) got a bit carried away after the excellent start he made but I have concerns about him now.  

7th to 2nd? A success.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count but Liverpool have spent a fortune since Rodgers has been here. We have bought 11 players costing more than 10 million and several over the 15 million pound price.

But I agree results are what matter so if money has been wasted and poor buys have happened it is hard to quantify as failure as all that matters is consolidating a top 3 place this season. But Rodgers did say when Spurs spent 100 million they should be challenging for the league last season.  I will not hold him to those lofty standards that he held Tottenham to last season.

I think Coutinho is just out of form. We've seen what he's capable of. He's had a few stinkers, but he's only just 22. Sterling will probably have similar periods. It's all part of developing as a footballer. 

No, it's considered "Too early to tell". 

My mistake. I only skimmed through the list. 

Allen didn't work out for the role planned when he was signed largely because of injuries and Henderson stepping up. Doesen't mean he was a poor signing some things can't be predicted. He's still a good squad player and useful addition, obviously we paid too much for the role he serves but then again that is mostly down to Henderson's development. 

Assaidi is similar, he became surplus because Sterling developed faster than most expected. He does a decent job for Stoke but he will have trouble working his way into our squad because we've raised the overall quality since he was signed, again doesen't make him a failure as the situation evolved differently than planned

I think Mignolet is a decent keeper, a slightly above average keeper due to his great shot stopping, he has weaknesses that may be corrected with time but no one claimed he would be a world beater when signed. 

Sakho is a bit of a mystery who does not look confident in possession, I'd put him in the wait and see but Rodgers at least preferred him to Agger so he must show something in training.

Moses and Aspas were out and out failures but no one expects 100% success. 

Sturridge is brilliant and Coutinho is a good signing, not the level of a Mata or Silva but who ever claimed he would be, he is still developing. 

All the new signings have good track records but time will tell. 

You've included a few future prospects so who knows what we'll get there.

Overall think your ratings are too pessimistic

Why is Coutinho in the same category as Yesil? one is a lynchpin of our side with 49 starts in the league in two years, the other doesn't even play regularly for the reserves and has one 45 minute cameo of early round league cup football to his name.

I know nothing about Yesil. It's not an exact science. 

I know nothing about Yesil. It's not an exact science. 

Shouldn't that be "too early to tell" then because jury's still out to me indicates a player who's had many chances but has failed to impress (Mignolet and Sakho), whereas Yesil falls into the young player that hasn't had the chance mould with Suso, Alberto and Illori.

There is a point to be made about the signing's under Rodgers being hit and miss but you also have to take into account the whole picture, like his development of the academy players, his weeding out of the dead wood, and the lowering of the wage bill. 

• Downvote 1

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count but Liverpool have spent a fortune since Rodgers has been here. We have bought 11 players costing more than 10 million and several over the 15 million pound price.

But I agree results are what matter so if money has been wasted and poor buys have happened it is hard to quantify as failure as all that matters is consolidating a top 3 place this season. But Rodgers did say when Spurs spent 100 million they should be challenging for the league last season.  I will not hold him to those lofty standards that he held Tottenham to last season.

200.gif

Shouldn't that be "too early to tell" then because jury's still out to me indicates a player who's had many chances but has failed to impress (Mignolet and Sakho), whereas Yesil falls into the young player that hasn't had the chance mould with Suso, Alberto and Illori.

There is a point to be made about the signing's under Rodgers being hit and miss but you also have to take into account the whole picture, like his development of the academy players, his weeding out of the dead wood, and the lowering of the wage bill. 

Those are all fair points, mate. 

Coutinho is the one I had trouble deciding the most over.  I would say initially he was a success, but an erratic second season coupled with a slow start this season means he's no longer a guaranteed starter in the first XI.  If there was a cup final tomorrow with everyone fit would Coutinho start?  I'm not sure he would. 

As for Allen, for me he hasn't started enough games to justify the outlay on him.   He's a good player but injuries hold him back.  

Allen cost 15m and is not a bad player, you get very little for 15m nowadays so it's not a big outlay. Coutinho is not long turned 22 is young and we payed peanuts for him. He is a success in that he is a very good signing for the price.

Maybe just maybe, Rodgers believes and is telling his squad that they're good enough to challenge for the league. He doesn't need to blurt out to everybody else. After 4 games of last season we couldn't say we were challenging for the league, but the run of form particularly since January put us in a position where we went oh so close. And we weren't scraping results to get there but rather totally dismantling teams. After 4 games of this season, we can't say for certain that we won't be able to muster a challenge for the league. It might only amount to a challenge rather than winning it, but by doing that Rodgers would surely be achieving those very same lofty standards he stated ought to apply to Spurs last year following their transfer outlay.

• Upvote 1

Maybe threads like this are why the atmosphere is sometimes abysmal in Anfield?

People who can only be arsed getting behind the team when it's winning, but want to slag off the team, the players, manager and Mighty Red after an indifferent start to the season.

Slagging off is the new support y'all!

Fucking one defeat against Villa is all it has took. Fucking shitehawks. You'll be creaming your kecks again when we beat West Ham, get our CL campaign off to a winning start, and batter the bitters.

• Upvote 2

People who can only be arsed getting behind the team when it's winning, but want to slag off the team, the players, manager and Mighty Red after an indifferent start to the season.

Fucking one defeat against Villa is all it has took. Fucking shitehawks. You'll be creaming your kecks again when we beat West Ham, get our CL campaign off to a winning start, and batter the bitters.

Our support is more fickle than Jimmy O'Fickle the Worlds most fickle man. They're up and down more than Jordan's draws.

As I said, I'm fully behind Rodgeball and want all of our signings to succeed.