You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Southampton (August 17th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

I imagine it will be the same side as Sunday but with Johnson going to right back & Moreno or Enrique on the left.

Always a few weird results on the first day but am cautiously confident.

We're playing on the second day though, so it's all good.

Koeman done us over a few years ago with benfica I think it was, Im expecting every Southampton player behind the ball and think it will be a close game.

Yeah he did, but I think beating his PSV side 6-1 the following season sort of made up for that.

When did they stop every premier league game kicking off at 3pm Saturday, first day of the season?

They never started (at least not as long as it's been named "Premier League").

Edit, just checked, the last season of the old 1st division all games kicked off on the same date (most probably also the same time of day) so the answer to your question would be 17th of August 1991.

• Upvote 1

Yeah he did, but I think beating his PSV side 6-1 the following season sort of made up for that.

Yes I remembered that aswell but psv were shit and it was out of his hands really, I always remember koeman for those benfica games as he was the only manager I saw who got the better of rafa tactically in the cl, benfica done a proper professional job on us those two games, hopefully its not similar on Sunday.

This may come a surprise to some, but Rodgers is not Rafa.

Ok got the better of lfc on the cl then,the Chelsea game showed last season that we can still struggle against teams that park the bus.

Fuck the negativity anyway I was just saying koeman impressed me when he came up against us before, I expect us to win we are the better team and koeman probably hasn't even got his team together yet let alone got his methods across.

They never started (at least not as long as it's been named "Premier League").

Edit, just checked, the last season of the old 1st division all games kicked off on the same date (most probably also the same time of day) so the answer to your question would be 17th of August 1991.

Annnnnnd I'm getting old.

If we lose our first game against a near depleted Southampton side after signing one fourth of their team (including their Captain and top defender) I am going to fucking lose it.

Just fucking lose it.  

But not so impossible..stranger things has happened.

I think we'll go 352 or 343.

Looking at the squad and who's fit, we seem to be strongest at the back and in terms of wingbacks. I think it's sensible to play to that strength and get down the flanks with the legs of Manquillo/Johnson/Enrique/Flanno/Moreno. We've also got great options in terms of centre backs, who can expect a nice afternoon stroll. That said, Lovren or Sakho can go and join in with attacking crosses.

------------------------Mig-------------------

---------Skrtel--------Lovren--------Sakho----

Manquillo---Henderson--Gerrard--Coutinho----Enrique

----------------Sterling-----------------------

--------------------Sturridge-------------------

Subs: Jones, Johnson, Coates, Can, Allen, Ibe/Borini, Lambert

It's not a great bench, it's not a great side, but let's remember we're missing the quality of Lallana and Markovic, that's two £25m attackers there, exceptional.

We're also missing the final striker position. So if you can put up with today's bench then it should all look better in a week or two.

I think we'll go 352 or 343.

Looking at the squad and who's fit, we seem to be strongest at the back and in terms of wingbacks. I think it's sensible to play to that strength and get down the flanks with the legs of Manquillo/Johnson/Enrique/Flanno/Moreno. We've also got great options in terms of centre backs, who can expect a nice afternoon stroll. That said, Lovren or Sakho can go and join in with attacking crosses.

------------------------Mig-------------------

---------Skrtel--------Lovren--------Sakho----

Manquillo---Henderson--Gerrard--Coutinho----Enrique

----------------Sterling-----------------------

--------------------Sturridge-------------------

Subs: Jones, Johnson, Coates, Can, Allen, Ibe/Borini, Lambert

It's not a great bench, it's not a great side, but let's remember we're missing the quality of Lallana and Markovic, that's two £25m attackers there, exceptional.

We're also missing the final striker position. So if you can put up with today's bench then it should all look better in a week or two.

we absolutely will not be playing 3 at the back.