You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bread Thread

Remmie

Some fella knocked the door yesterday dressed as a baker with free samples of fresh bread. Gave me a lovely fresh cheese topped loaf (wahey) and said they are delivering fresh bread, gave me a menu then fucked off. I'd eaten half of it by the time I thought to take a picture. Absolutely stunning. Anyone else get a knock with free bread yesterday/today? Its a French bakery in Ormskirk I think called Le Petit Gascon 

243E0E14-DC2E-489A-8C9B-40CB9306504D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Some fella knocked the door yesterday dressed as a baker with free samples of fresh bread. Gave me a lovely fresh cheese topped loaf (wahey) and said they are delivering fresh bread, gave me a menu then fucked off. I'd eaten half of it by the time I thought to take a picture. Absolutely stunning. Anyone else get a knock with free bread yesterday/today? Its a French bakery in Ormskirk I think called Le Petit Gascon 

243E0E14-DC2E-489A-8C9B-40CB9306504D.jpeg

The little Gazza?? So good you fucked it eh stig?

Recently upgraded my Aldi bread machine for a panasonic one.  The difference in quality is noticeable.  We use it a few times a week and I've also used it for pizza dough, rolls etc 

Weird thing is, I can't eat shop bought white bread anymore.  It creases me, the next day I just have awful stomach pains like I imagine what having a period is like, but 100 times worse.  When I'm in France though I can eat their bread until flour comes out of my ears and I'm fine. 

Since I started making my own bread (although we usually go a 50/50 or 70/30 we do make white bread as well) I have not had any of those problems.  Obviously there's something in mass produced bread which doesn't agree with me. 

20 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Recently upgraded my Aldi bread machine for a panasonic one.  The difference in quality is noticeable.  We use it a few times a week and I've also used it for pizza dough, rolls etc 

Weird thing is, I can't eat shop bought white bread anymore.  It creases me, the next day I just have awful stomach pains like I imagine what having a period is like, but 100 times worse.  When I'm in France though I can eat their bread until flour comes out of my ears and I'm fine. 

Since I started making my own bread (although we usually go a 50/50 or 70/30 we do make white bread as well) I have not had any of those problems.  Obviously there's something in mass produced bread which doesn't agree with me. 

I haven't bought white bread in years even though I prefer it. I read one of the Secret Footballers books, the one about nutrition etc in Football. He says he has always been told that white bread is one of the worst things a player can eat because of the shit they put in it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I haven't bought white bread in years even though I prefer it. I read one of the Secret Footballers books, the one about nutrition etc in Football. He says he has always been told that white bread is one of the worst things a player can eat because of the shit they put in it. 

Same with rice. I don't think it's quite the same regarding eggs but people apparently pay more for brown eggs. If people are eating the shells, I think I'll check out.

4 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Same with rice. I don't think it's quite the same regarding eggs but people apparently pay more for brown eggs. If people are eating the shells, I think I'll check out.

People need to quickly realise that brown eggs aren't what they think..... 

32 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

It's probably the Chorleywood process which is to blame, it's notorious for increasing bread digestion issues. Most commercially available bread in this country is made that way now.

18 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Wait, white rice is bad?

Yes, it's empty calories. The king of grains/rice is quinoa, wholemeal brown rice runs it second.

42 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's probably the Chorleywood process which is to blame, it's notorious for increasing bread digestion issues. Most commercially available bread in this country is made that way now.

Never heard of that. After researching I'm glad I don't buy it. 

17 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Yes, it's empty calories. The king of grains/rice is quinoa, wholemeal brown rice runs it second.

Shout out for Coarse Bulgur

20 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Never heard of that. After researching I'm glad I don't buy it. 

Shout out for Coarse Bulgur 

https://www.yourhealthremedy.com/medicinal-plants/bulgur-versus-quinoa/

Bulgur versus Quinoa – Which is Healthier?

Both these foods are healthy and nutritious, however, quinoa has a better nutritional profile, especially due to its magnesium, phosphorus, folate, thiamin, and zinc content.

Coarse Bulgur has nicked second place at the line.

19 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

https://www.yourhealthremedy.com/medicinal-plants/bulgur-versus-quinoa/

Bulgur versus Quinoa – Which is Healthier?

Both these foods are healthy and nutritious, however, quinoa has a better nutritional profile, especially due to its magnesium, phosphorus, folate, thiamin, and zinc content.

Coarse Bulgur has nicked second place at the line.

Absolutely gutted I've lost that tbh. Ruined my day. 

Just now, Paulie Dangerously said:

Absolutely gutted I've lost that tbh. Ruined my day. 

It's a hollow victory. Given the choice, I'd have both.

12 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Bollocks to that. It's time for everyone to take sides in the great, and historic, quinoa Vs bulgur debate. 

I don't care for the texture of quinoa so it's the big B for me. 

I hope you know what this means...

I tried to start a poll but it failed miserably. So instead, I've bought in the heavy armoury...

giphy-9.gif

We had a bread maker a few years ago, ended up lashing it. Much easier to use a proper mixer and roll yer own dough mixes.

I’ve been making a fuckloads of ciabatta, let it have first rest, then divide it up into portions and freeze. Get one out at 8am, midday it’s spot on for 20 minutes in the oven. Piece of piss.

made a sourdough starter as the missus is a fan, had a few decent baguettes from it, and a loaf.

• 3 months later...