You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Reasons We Will/Wont Come Back...

old skool tom

As a side note that's slightly off topic.  If we don't win the league I hope that some of the superfans I've seen writing articles on other fan sites and in some more general media learn a lesson for next time we're in this position.

There seemed to be far too many people who assumed the league was ours after we won at Old Trafford and against City when it was far from it.  Their premature gloating will do nothing but give fans of other clubs ammunition for the Summer unless it all turns round.

Agreed there was too much press praising us and too much talk like it was already done.

This week especially alot of people in the press and former players where saying when and not if, I don't think it cost us the title in the end as Rodgers kept the team focused but it set us up for a fall.

City aren't going to throw this away again after being given a life line. I think it's over but I feel nothing but pride for the lads efforts.

This.

It would be, hands down, the most shocking sporting event of all time if we win the league from here. City will win the three, and hopefully we can get at least the four points required to finish second.

• Upvote 1

I'd been saying that we would definitely win the league for about two months, but I'm a lot less confident after yesterday. Crystal Palace away is going to be tricky. We've had some horrible results at Selhurst Park over the years.

Do remember what we did to Stoke at their home ground... a thing we didn't achieve for years.

The Cup is ours!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

So it is out of Liverpool's hands now. All the lads can do is win their remaining 2 games. That much they can control. 

Outside of that, they need City to draw just once. Once. From a run of 3 games in 8 days, including a tough away trip to Everton. They know a single slip-up and it is out of their hands again. This is the same team that needed 2 stoppage time goals at home to QPR 2 years ago. If ever there was such a thing as a home banker, that was it. Only there isn't such a thing this time of the season. 

And you know what? Were City to pounce on Liverpool's single slip up and win their remaining games and take the league, you can only say they deserve it, as they are the only team within shouting distance of Liverpool's goals scored. At least for all their oil dollars, they go and buy shit hot attacking players who then, y'know, attack. 

Another reason I'd much rather see them win it over Chelsea is the managers, both typified by their actions on their most recent visits to Anfield. Compare Pelligrini's utterly classy reaction to losing a game in which a few decisions didn't go their way to Mourinho acting the cunt after a fortunate victory. Chalk and fucking cheese. 

If this season has taught (reminded?) me of anything, it is that Mourinho is a living, breathing example of why winning isn't actually everything. 

• Upvote 4

Aspas

The more I see of him the more I think what the fuck was going on when we signed him, he was the first aswell and we wrapped it up quickly so you would have thought he was one of our main targets.

All you can rely on him to do when he comes on is give the ball away, when he came on I was seriously thinking we are down to ten men.Total waste signing this guy and in a few years some fans will struggle to remember he played for us.

With Mourinho, I'm always reminded of that scene from Django Unchained where Di Caprio has bested Christoph Waltz and because he won't shake his hand, he labels him "a bad loser." Waltz counters and says: "Maybe, but I think you're an abysmal winner."

Yesterday still hurts like hell and I felt ill watching Gerrard's slip again on the local news. The worst thing now though, would be to feel sorry for ourselves and allow our season to peter out. We have to take maximum points from these two games and say to City 'if you want this, you will have to fucking earn it'. If they better us on 86, then fair enough, there's nothing more we could have done; we finish the season with our heads held high, congratulate City and fucking well go again next season.

• Upvote 1

The more I see of him the more I think what the fuck was going on when we signed him, he was the first aswell and we wrapped it up quickly so you would have thought he was one of our main targets.

All you can rely on him to do when he comes on is give the ball away, when he came on I was seriously thinking we are down to ten men.Total waste signing this guy and in a few years some fans will struggle to remember he played for us.

Until he took a corner yesterday I didn't even now he's left footed that's how little he's effected games

I'd been saying that we would definitely win the league for about two months, but I'm a lot less confident after yesterday. Crystal Palace away is going to be tricky. We've had some horrible results at Selhurst Park over the years.

I'm a lot less confident after reding your previous post

I genuinely agree. I'm just terrified of the Palace game. Even, if City drop points at Everton, the mindset has to be to go for the 3 points rather than think we're sorted and we'll smash the bar codes. Palace are a dangerous kettle of fish and we seem to be at our best when we have to chase it rather than sit back.

Ok Im just about over the defeat and a bit of hope is creeping in, the west ham game.

Haven't city battered west ham 3 times already this season? It probably has happened but Im guessing its rare a team beats a team from the same league 4 times in a season.

Personal pride from the west ham players should come in to it,no pressure and then the added spice of a couple ex lfc players.

City will also have played a mid week game against villa who will hopefully have pushed them for the 90 minutes in their bid for survival.

This is the game where I have hope for city dropping something, the boys need to lift their heads up, beat palace and make sure city have to go to the last game needing something.

It would be, hands down, the most shocking sporting event of all time if we win the league from here. City will win the three, and hopefully we can get at least the four points required to finish second.

I'm sorry I can't agree with this and it's my head rather than my heart informing me.

Why would it be "most shocking" if Man City were to drop a couple of points during the course of 3 games in 8 days?

It would not be a shock. They have dropped soft points much more recently than us. We dropped ours to Chelsea.

It would not be a shock. It's a distinct possibility I think.

Maybe not a likelihood, fine, but a distinct possibility.

We just need to concentrate and fight on keeping our end of the deal.

City might take care of themselves, who knows, in our favour maybe.

I genuinely agree. I'm just terrified of the Palace game. Even, if City drop points at Everton, the mindset has to be to go for the 3 points rather than think we're sorted and we'll smash the bar codes. Palace are a dangerous kettle of fish and we seem to be at our best when we have to chase it rather than sit back.

Nah we'll beat Palace, there will be a reaction from the players and Palace are on the beach now.

Problem is City not dropping points. You never know, an injury or a suspension could be critical at the moment. Us losing Henderson has been significant.

The positive thing for us is that we play after City, so if they drop any points the we will have that extra impetus to get the win against Palace. I don't feel like it's over yet but we're going to need an Istanbul-style intervention to get us there.

united fans in work have gone from 'its definitely yours' this last few weeks to 'I knew they d fuck it up'

all along I was 'long way to go, you re just trying to jinx us'

in reality they were preparing themselves for the unmentionable and I was preparing myself for the unpalatable.

I'm confident we'll pick up all 6 points because Rodgers has always reacted well to a fuck up, he knows how to get the players back on point and focused. Not giving up hope yet!

I also think we're going to be challenging from here on out every year, especially with some improvement on the transfer market. Last time we challenged was the winding down of the Benitez era and there was all that instability creeping into the club - this time it's the opposite. We've got a great manager and a great core of young players.

The positive thing for us is that we play after City, so if they drop any points the we will have that extra impetus to get the win against Palace. I don't feel like it's over yet but we're going to need an Istanbul-style intervention to get us there.

Let's be honest we've never been one for doing things the easy way have we

Everton will play as much as they can. Get a loss and they face the final day needing a win against Hull to secure 5th. Difference between 5th and 6th is starting your European season on the 21st August or the 31st July.

Whether they are good enough is different, however City have a long history of buggering things up - the last day win was actually a blip in an otherwise long history of costly mistakes

• Upvote 1

It ain't over 'til the Fat Sam sings.

Lukaku and Carroll have a big part to play I think (I hope!).  Didn't United have to go to Everton a few years back and get a result but lost 1-0?  Not easy.

We must get our heads right and go again.